BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
681 - 699 of 699 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 R Nine T Classic
585 Posts
Does anyone has picture of the Super Corse Butterfly Valve from A&J Cycle?
I read somewhere that there are markings such product name on the pipe which is not disclosed on the A&J Cycle web page product.

Was wondering how big those markings are.

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Sport
9 Posts
Flap Eliminator and Servo Buddy

I have just fitted the flap eliminator and servo onto my 2018 sport The difference is notable. Great tutorial from the guys at Pier City Customs. Added bonus is the small weight saving.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got caught in the rain last night and riding for 40mins until I got home. This morning after i take her a bath started up and after few secs she is coughing 😂 then it resumed normally on idle.
Pretty sensitive i must say..

·
Registered
214 Posts
I got caught in the rain last night and riding for 40mins until I got home. This morning after i take her a bath started up and after few secs she is coughing 😂 then it resumed normally on idle.
That's a strange phenomenon. I've taken a fair share of rain with my modified classic and I've yet to experience any of that.

Could it be linked to the Scrambler's exhaust configuration?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I really didn’t like her caughing in the morning, so I reverted the mod until my garage is ready to welcome her 😉

·
Registered
2018 R NineT Scrambler
9 Posts
I have tried this and want to revert back to having the flapper connected. However when I tried to reconnect the cables today there’s not enough length once I have the end seated to get the washer back up over the lip. I backed the washers out as far as possible to give more length but no luck. Can anyone offer some tips/insight? Thank you!

EDIT : The following procedure is for a quick and dirty disconnection, or destined to someone who doesn't care about keeping the cables attached to the flapper assembly or just wants to try it out. If you'd prefer a cleaner mod, do familiarize yourself with this post first then check out this post by @LWIRWA. His take on it keeps the plastic housing on the pipe, as it's welded in place anyway, but gets rid of the cables.

I offered member @RninetDOG to provide a tiny how-to guide regarding the disconnection of flap cables, so I thought that doing it here might be best.

Here we go :

0) We'll need a 10mm flat spanner as well as a ratchet wrench with a Torx T25 bit. Some thread-locker might be advisable.

1) Locate the two screws on the flap's plastic housing. One is visible from the side-stand side of the bike, the other one will be easier to reach from the other side. It's basically facing the ground, laying down will help. Remove them.

View attachment 144565

2) Remove the plastic housing by sliding it towards you. You'll be greeted by this :

View attachment 144566

On this picture one of the two little brass tabs is removed from its nest for illustration purposes. Use the 10mm spanner to unscrew the nuts which hold the cables to the metal housing. Pull the cables towards you. Push down on both of the brass tabs, they should dislocate easily and the cables spring straight out like this :

View attachment 144567

4)

From there on it's already time to reassemble everything. Push the cables back in position and tighten the 10mm nuts, leaving the tabs hanging somewhere in the middle of the "cup" of the flap, as it'll be easier to then reinstall the plastic housing.

The screws which hold the plastic housing should have some threadlock on their thread. As mine were extremely easy to screw out and back in, I didn't bother to clean the threads and just applied a tiny amount of medium strength threadlock and tightened by hand.

That's all !

I couldn't recommend trying this solution out highly enough before any slip-on purchase or further modification. Totally reversible in mere minutes, very effective at bringing back some much-missed exhaust sound (especially at low revs / small throttle openings), and completely free to boot. It might be just enough for you, as it was for me. Do try it !

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have tried this and want to revert back to having the flapper connected. However when I tried to reconnect the cables today there’s not enough length once I have the end seated to get the washer back up over the lip. I backed the washers out as far as possible to give more length but no luck. Can anyone offer some tips/insight? Thank you!
When reconnecting mine I made sure that they were properly wrap around the wheel (servo side) as they would not have been long enough. PM me, I’ll try and find the pictures I took first when removing the cables

·
Registered
Bmw Scrambler 2019
20 Posts
Hi @Gaum69 have you tried this yet?
my 2017 r ninet pics up errors at high rpm, not at city speeds. And then coming to a stop it revs uncontrollably at 2000-2500 rpm. I tried disconnecting the cables inside the housing which sits on the valve and then I tried just removing the actual flap itself with cables still connected. Both solutions give me the same problem. Only at high rpm does the ecu pick up an error and starts revving around uncontrollably
Hi. Tried the same today, with the bike suddenly picking up revs and sound like it was about to die.
off/on and it worked again.
does this mean I need to put a servo buddy on as well? Has just disconnected the cables at the flapper.
my machine is a 2019 scrambler.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi. Tried the same today, with the bike suddenly picking up revs and sound like it was about to die.
off/on and it worked again.
does this mean I need to put a servo buddy on as well? Has just disconnected the cables at the flapper.
my machine is a 2019 scrambler.
If you want the remove the servo altogether yeah, but the ''mod'' works just as fine without the cables tihing it to the flapper removed.

·
Registered
Bmw Scrambler 2019
20 Posts
Hmmm, not sure I fully understand your comment. I removed the cable at the flapper and then got the Idle error ( revs up). it came after I made a quick overtake, so something is not working.
the bike came back to normal after a stop. (On/off). So I presume I need to add a servo buddy or ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The servo buddy is needed if you remove the electrical connection between the servo and the ECU.
If you only removed the mechanical cables between the flapper and the servo, the ECU doesn't know that the servo isn't mechanically connected to the flapper and shouldn't pop an error code (warning on the dial).
The second cold start I did without the mechanical cables linking the servo and the flapper, my 9t coughed a little bit then shutoff completely. I immediately restarted after this shutdown and didn't get that behavior since that one time.
I will get the servo buddy in a near future because I want to completely remove the servo. That device's only purpose is to make believe to the ECU that the servo is still electrically there and doing its job.
Hope this is clearer :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
Bmw Scrambler 2019
20 Posts
okay. Thanks for clarifying.
I had the same problem as Schmidd78, see above, it might be something that that tricked the ECU, but no idea what. I also felt the machine got a bit hotter.
so I’ve reinstalled the cables and then I will get hold of a SB and try it again to spring.

·
Registered
2020 R9T Option 719
9 Posts
I've read a few posts in this thread about unplugging power to the servo and removing the flappers. What's the goal of this modification? Is it simply to increase sound and/or quality of sound, or does it also have a performance benefit? How do you remove the flappers? First post and first week with a "new to me" 2020 R9T with the Akropovic two can exhaust. So, I probably should leave everything alone for a while, but a little more sound and maybe a little more power would be nice. Thanks! Marc

·
Registered
2020 R9T Option 719
9 Posts
Ok, that post was a newbie mistake... I just found the "flapper removal post" 🙃

·
Registered
2020 R9T Option 719
9 Posts
Where can I buy an exhaust flap eliminator pipe in the US? I found the servo buddy, but no the extension pipe. Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 R9T Option 719
9 Posts
Where can I buy an exhaust flap eliminator pipe in the US? I found the servo buddy, but no the extension pipe. Thanks!
I ended up buying both parts from a company in the UK. Only one week for delivery.

·
Registered
2019 Urban GS
10 Posts
I have ordered the servo buddy from Ebay. I have a piece of 63mm (2.5") stainless pipe, 70mm long, coming from a local car exhaust shop.

681 - 699 of 699 Posts