BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
721 - 740 of 757 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R NineT
18 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for all your advice.
I removed the cables today like you said, it was easy and didn’t take long. I also bought a dramel and went to work on grinding the welds off the DB killers (baffles) this was a much hard and longer job to do. But with a lot of patients I managed to get the job done. Wow what a difference, it sounds so good!! Thanks again for all the advice. Cheers
Also, do you have a warning light after disconnecting flapper?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I am guessing if removing flap (including buddy) can disturb engine or get any issue. What about fuel consumption?

When low speed/iddle I understand valve is closed? But if now is open engine won't work properly? Probably buddy is tricking ECU but in fact is not working as it should be...so in the end after several kilometers is not good for engine???

I think it is said that sometimes flap valve get block (open/closed?) Due to rust/dirty etc. In that case engine nor ECU are able to work properly and we have to fix the problem. So eliminating flap valve for me is like valve is blocked and opened all time. Same problems?

·
Registered
2021 R Nine T
65 Posts
Every video I watch shows the whole exhaust flapper being removed, does anyone have a video on just how to take the existing cables off, being it’s a 2021 bike. Cheers
Here’s a video of my header swap, it includes the servo cables removal as part of the process, around 0:45 mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bit of an issue I worked myself into: 2 stuck (and now broken) flapper valve bolts.
After copious amounts of WD-40, time, and a new toolset, the following happened.

As you can see, the headers + exhaust, have now been removed from the bike and are inside my apartment now to deal with this issue. Any thoughts on how to remove the clamps?

Plumbing fixture Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Grey

Outerwear Glove Sports gear Textile Sleeve

Sky Camera Cameras & optics Bicycle handlebar Camera accessory

·
Registered
166 Posts
Bit of an issue I worked myself into: 2 stuck (and now broken) flapper valve bolts.
After copious amounts of WD-40, time, and a new toolset, the following happened.

As you can see, the headers + exhaust, have now been removed from the bike and are inside my apartment now to deal with this issue. Any thoughts on how to remove the clamps?

View attachment 151102
View attachment 151104
View attachment 151103
Drill the bolt out with a drill. You might be able to hammer a screw driver or chisel where the clamps meet.

·
Registered
181 Posts

View attachment 151102
View attachment 151104
View attachment 151103
I would take a cutting tool like a Dremel and simply attack the bolt in-between where the clamps meet and cut the bolt out. It should probably then come free and you can replace the bolts?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would take a cutting tool like a Dremel and simply attack the bolt in-between where the clamps meet and cut the bolt out. It should probably then come free and you can replace the bolts?
I'm gonna go for this option, since I do not have the kit to drill the bolt out, I'll get the Dremel and go in between where the clamps meet. I'll keep you posted and hopefully do not cut the clamps. I figured out these OEM clamps cost 24eu each...

·
Registered
637 Posts

View attachment 151102
View attachment 151104
View attachment 151103
Is this your Ninet exhaust pipe? How many kilometers? It seems very dirty/rust and old... Mine with 50.000km is clean and easy to unscrew.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is this your Ninet exhaust pipe? How many kilometers? It seems very dirty/rust and old... Mine with 50.000km is clean and easy to unscrew.
Yes it is indeed, currently at ±55.000km (Jan 2017 first registered by previous owner, I own since Dec '18). I have no excuses about the state of it, besides the fact I finally moved to a house with my own garage and I can finally do some more in depth maintenance myself. Wasn't able to do this before and hence I'm now finally able to improve the state of these headers and exhaust. Bare with me and I'll deliver improvement! 😅

Reactions: Lelc2

·
Registered
637 Posts
Uff. Ok. I was removing, cleaning and grease all this zone. When removing oil bevel shaft I had to remove exhaust and rear wheel to get hole for fill new oil. 3 times? In 50.000km. probably it is good point to check every 15.000km this zone to avoid rust etc

Copper grease it is said is the best for this zone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well lads, this has gone very well. Happy to report the homemade mixture @SD05 advised has worked like a charm. Mixed 50/50 acetone and gearbox oil. Let it soak in after which I placed a "point screwdriver"on the bolt and started to hit the screwdriver with a hammer.

To my great surprise the first bolt came out after some proper good hits! The second one took a bit longer, but eventually also gave in. Now I was able to separate the headers from the flapper&exhaust.

Next up was remove the flapper from the exhaust and since no clamps were in place anymore, I though this was just a matter of pulling them off one another. Didn't go well.. Took an extra soak in the 50/50 mixture, after which another hammer session worked like a charm.

Thanks to all the advice and I will use copper paste for reassembly to avoid all the above. Next up is cleaning and polishing all parts. However first:

A BEER.

Wood Floor Road surface Flooring Line

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Road surface

·
Registered
2020 Classic
18 Posts
Also, do you have a warning light after disconnecting flapper?
Hey Jovial, Dunno if you already got an answer to this but FWIW I tried disconnecting the flapper cables today and I do get an error light. Bike is a 2020 classic. Some folk said they had an error for first couple of starts but then it goes (perhaps due to ECU self adjusting?)
Speedometer Motor vehicle Gauge Odometer Automotive design

·
Registered
2021 R Nine T
65 Posts
Hey Jovial, Dunno if you already got an answer to this but FWIW I tried disconnecting the flapper cables today and I do get an error light. Bike is a 2020 classic. Some folk said they had an error for first couple of starts but then it goes (perhaps due to ECU self adjusting?) View attachment 151255
Did you removed the whole servo assembly or just disconected the cables and put it back? I only did the cable removal and have no issues at all on my 21 classic. Removing the assebly requires a Servo Buddy that plugs where the servo was and that eliminates the CEL.

721 - 740 of 757 Posts