BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
741 - 757 of 757 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Classic
18 Posts
I went for a ride after this to try it out. Had a couple of hairy moments early on where the bike didnt engine brake like usual coming off the throttle into a corner. Bike also did a weird up and down rev thing when i slowed to a stop, like it was fighting to not stall.

I stopped and turned off the ignition a few times during the ride to see if the ECU was learning. The engine warning light would turn off every time, but would come back on again after more riding. The time it took the engine warning light o come back on increased each time. There was also an emissions warning light which stayed on constantly. The overevving thing went away after some time. So the ECU does seem to be adapting, but the bike behaved strange at first and would always have the emission warning light on.

Sound wise, bike sounds a bit deeper and slightly louder but mine was missing some of its usual crackle and pop.

Intersting experiment, I've now reverted and reconnected.
Did you removed the whole servo assembly or just disconected the cables and put it back? I only did the cable removal and have no issues at all on my 21 classic. Removing the assebly requires a Servo Buddy that plugs where the servo was and that eliminates the CEL.
I did same thing as you, just disconnected the cables and put it back 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
‘21 R9T urban GS and ‘21 R18 FE
9 Posts
Anyone have major cold start issues with a 21 urban GS with a servo buddy? My 21 urban gs is bone stock. Less removing the small db killers on the factory akra high mount.

I installed the servo buddy and left the flapper in place. Being open naturally it should act like it’s not there and the servo buddy is connected to the bike.

it’s still cold here in CT but a cold start here the bike want to die the first 3 starts. First start, it dies with a second or so. Second start it starts and runs and you can tell the ecuis trying to adjust again and the bikes rpm’s go up a little then get very low and stalls out. 3rd start(or 4th) the bike starts right up. Then get a little rough for a second then rpm’s go up and it’s fine. Maintains a high idle for 20+ seconds then goes down to normal. At that point it’s completely fine. Revs no problem. Can turn it off and back on no issues.

it just seems when its cold the bike has amnesia with the buddy on. No error codes or anything. Runs great when riding. Just every cold start it runs like hot garbage for the first 3 starts.

anyone else? I might pull it and go back to the functioning flapper if it’s gonna be like every cold start.

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
215 Posts
I have the flapper cables off my 21 Scrambler (so EU5 motor)...... for the first few cold starts mine would hiccup.... but then went fine.... very happy.... obviously I have the servo still connected.

·
Registered
R NineT
16 Posts
I removed the flapper on my 2019 R9T and did a quick video comparing sounds, 1. stock, 2. without flapper and 3. without exhaust pipes and apologies, the third segment was with my phone, so trying to do too many things at once :) . In the third segment, the flapper is still on the bike. The sections with the exhaust pipes, the baffles are still in. There is a definite sound difference, deeper without the flapper, which I do prefer.

·
Registered
2022 Scrambler
56 Posts
Newb here...Not got my new 2022 Scrambler yet but an early planned mod is doing something about the flappy valve.

Sounds like its a bit harder to remove entirely with the latest bikes - you can't just throw in a replacement bit of pipe.

So, in the short term, is the easiest thing to just remove or unhook the cables and then the flapper is spring-loaded and will stay open?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So for 21+, I'm having a little trouble piecing it together. Can someone point me to which cable is to be removed, what's done with that cable, and yes or no is the servo buddy needed after removing the cable?

·
Registered
2022 Scrambler
56 Posts
So for 21+, I'm having a little trouble piecing it together. Can someone point me to which cable is to be removed, what's done with that cable, and yes or no is the servo buddy needed after removing the cable?
My understanding is:
The cable runs from the flap valve to the servo.
You can detach the ends of the cable in the servo housing and leave them there in case you ever want to re-enable the valve.
If you prefer, you can remove the cable completely.
Neither of the above will cause error codes and so a servo buddy is not required. This because the servo is still functioning, its just not pulling the cable.
If you want to remove the servo as well then that's when you'll need the buddy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My understanding is:
The cable runs from the flap valve to the servo.
You can detach the ends of the cable in the servo housing and leave them there in case you ever want to re-enable the valve.
If you prefer, you can remove the cable completely.
Neither of the above will cause error codes and so a servo buddy is not required. This because the servo is still functioning, its just not pulling the cable.
If you want to remove the servo as well then that's when you'll need the buddy.
Sweet, thank you. I'll give it a try then report back.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Just finished making my flapper removal pipe and watched a pier city video for removal and refit they say on the 2014/16 you dont need the the servo buddy anybody come across this.
Cheers View attachment 155339
I used the servo buddy … not expensive and keeps the CanBus from sensing variations in the electrical system. Makes the “Brain” unaware any changes have occurred and eliminates any chance of fault lights or error codes …. The more you begin to change up the electrical the more likely you’ll have problems ….

·
Administrator
13,495 Posts
I have a 2014 bike and removed the flapper valve and servo motor, I did not add any gadget to trick the bike into thinking the servo was still there, such as a servo buddy. I didn't get any warning indications on the dash at all, but found that the error is "silent" - I found that when I plugged my GS-911 in to the bike when servicing that there was an error listed, but it doesn't affect the way my bike runs at all. I've been running my bike like this for the past 7 years! :)

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did an economy flapendectomy today on my 2014. Pulled the servo and the flapper out. Looks great, no lights. I used 2.5" OD Stainless food service tube that the local metal recycling yard sold me for $3.27. I was able to cut 4 proper length tubes from the piece, so if anyone wants one of the 3 extra, you can have one for the cost of shipping, just PM me. The ends are not perfectly square, and they'll need a little clean up, but if you've got a bench grinder with a brush, you'll be set. The 2.5 OD pipe is just a few 100ths larger than the actual flapper pipe. I had to gently tap it in, but it fit fine. Here are the photos.
Watch Analog watch Automotive lighting Plant Clock

Household hardware Wood Material property Auto part Nickel

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Gas Motor vehicle Wood

Automotive tire Analog watch Wood Compass Font

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bumper Rim

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Bumper Fender

Musical instrument Bell Automotive lighting Gas Tints and shades

Watch Light Clock Measuring instrument Analog watch

741 - 757 of 757 Posts