BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 322 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the place where anyone can ask any simple questions pertaining to owning/riding the NineT, consider asking here instead of starting a new thread so this can become a resource to new owners.

Feel free to ask questions without fear of ridicule or the inevitable "you should search the forum" answer, no question is too simple, no question is too silly.
Nobody knows everything about bikes, especially when it's a new to you. Maybe it's your first BMW, or first bike, or first bike in many years and you need a little help figuring out that doohicky or thingamagiggy.

This is not the thread to ask about accessories or gear, just General ownership things that maybe don't justify a new thread.
For you forum noobs or lurkers, here's a place to jump in and get your feet wet with that question you've been meaning to ask but didn't yet.
There's zero tolerance for rude behavior in this thread, let's help the n00bs feel comfortable on the forum.

Cheers!

Thanks to Bill for inspiring this thread!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Basic Questions Thread

Hi Okay sorry about this thread I am sure we all covered some of these basic questions that I have. But I figured I would start a thread on basic stuff this way i can alwasy find the answers when I need them

Question Number 1

How the heck do you guys upload images on this forum ?.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Basic Question Number 2

what is the actual proper tire pressure level that BMW/ or tires recmmend for front and back?

by the way thank you in advance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Everyone else have the neutral to first problem? If the bike goes even a millimeter backwards I cannot shift into first from neutral. I have to push forward to shift into gear.

Kinda problematic when uphill.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Everyone else have the neutral to first problem? If the bike goes even a millimeter backwards I cannot shift into first from neutral. I have to push forward to shift into gear.

Kinda problematic when uphill.
I have had to roll forward 6" on the flat to go from neutral to 1st at times.
Keep your right foot on the rear brake on an uphill, don't shift into neutral on an incline at a stop.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I find just clutching again, then shifting works. You will find what works for you. Slabs' certainly does, but normally I don't need to move. Yes, always shift to first is what more experienced riders have always told me. Never had to do that with my old bikes, even my old R69s, but maybe thats cause it was worn in well when I bought it.

·
Administrator
11,654 Posts
I find just clutching again, then shifting works. You will find what works for you. Slabs' certainly does, but normally I don't need to move. Yes, always shift to first is what more experienced riders have always told me. Never had to do that with my old bikes, even my old R69s, but maybe thats cause it was worn in well when I bought it.
Same here! Just use the clutch again.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,041 Posts
Me too . . . clutching again and it slips in like . . . :p

Reactions: grasstailer

·
Administrator
11,654 Posts
Me too . . . clutching again and it slips in like . . . :p

......a hot knife through butter???? ;)

Back on topic if you have a car with a manual gearbox, like the majority of Europeans do, you'll be used to using the double-clutch technique when first or reverse gear doesn't engage. If the US stereotype still holds true, most American cars have automatic gearboxes, so I can understand why this technique might not be immediately apparent.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very common on racing cars and on my old 78 r100s. I know the release point and I often will hold near and shift into while squeezing clutch open. The old bikes are rather cluncky and are very audible shifters in 1 thru 3. Just a little idle manual syncro is all you are doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another Basic Question

What's the best clutch and brake setting for someone new to the world of motorcycling? My RnineT came defaulted to four on both the clutch and brake. I didn't discover the setting until after putting my first 500 miles on it. The clutch is much different than the Suzuki on which I learned at the MSF course. Much less travel - seems like a quarter inch from engaged to disengaged. I stalled it four times to go about four feet when I first left the showroom.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
@ detrusl

Click it into 1 and see if you like it. 1 is opposite to 4. Those are kind of individual preferences to you personal liking and hands. My hands are rather smaller so i normally prefer lever closer to the grip BUT.... when you do that you loose some feel as there is less room for "Travel" So.... it really does depend and there is no generic answer.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,041 Posts
What's the best clutch and brake setting for someone new to the world of motorcycling?
. . .
Much less travel - seems like a quarter inch from engaged to disengaged.
detrusl, the four settings on the levers are to change the reach for comfort. They will not affect the travel between engaged to disengaged.

As @25PSi has stated, it is for individual preferences and the size of your hands.
So if you have big hands set the levers the furthest out from the grip, small hands the closest in. What feels most comfortable to you when you rest your hands on the grips and fingers on the levers? (Disregard the actual travel part and think about the reach first).
And you can always try the different positions to see what works for you. :)

1 - 20 of 322 Posts