BMW NineT Forum banner

321 - 322 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
258 Posts
We have a new puppy and my brain is a puddle of fluffy pee.
Thanks for the tips. I do sometimes preload the shifter, but don't think to do it most of the time. I'm more apt to do it when riding hard and looking for very fast shifts. Holding the shifter a bit makes sense, too. And you're right about the throws being longer. (The shift lever itself is longer than I'm used to as well.) As the bike continues to break in (1,650 miles on it now) the shift action is getting slicker.

Since we're talking shifting here, one thing I'm still getting used to on my Pure is how much slower the revs fall than my on my VFR. On my old bike I would back off the throttle slightly (but usually not completely) for upshifts and it worked well. On my new BMW I've found It's sometimes more advisable to close the throttle more if not completely between shifts. It's most noticeable when upshifting from 1st to 2nd. The revs just hang more than I'm used to, but I'm adjusting to it. Granted, this is during just average riding, not sportriding when I'd be revving the bike higher in every gear, but even then I don't think the revs fall very quickly. Probably just the nature of the boxer twin, and it's fine. Just continuing to learn the new bike!

Thanks again for the tips, gristle, and good luck with the new puppy! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pretty well all of the connectors have a barbed spring tab that holds the two sides of the connectors together.
You need to press down on the spring tab, so that the barb at the other end raises up. In some connectors the barb is attached to the body so you need to raise the retainer.
While still holding down on the tab end so the barb is released, grip both ends of the connector body, NOT the wires!, and gently with a firm grip ease the two halves apart.
I find that a slight wriggling of the connectors side to side helps.
Do not use brute force, do not yank, it is not necessary and you may slip and pull on the wires instead.

If you are having difficulty you can prise the locking barb apart with a flat blade while pulling on the connector halves.

Yes it is best to remove the cable ties to give you more room to work with.
It is recommended to re-attach cable ties to keep the wiring snug so it cannot snag or get crimped anywhere.

Have a go on the connectors and shout out if you still need help. I can take a couple of pictures for you.

Cheers
Thanks for that. I think I was maybe being too gentle. I managed to get it done with only small amounts of blue air!

321 - 322 of 322 Posts