BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
341 - 360 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R nineT Pure
26 Posts
I know BMW changed the exterior design of the cylinder head covers for 2021, but did they actually change the schematic for the fittings of guards and/or engine bars, too? I bought a set of the BMW aluminum cylinder head guards when I got my 2020 Pure, and of course they fit perfectly. I would think if BMW did change the spacing for the fasteners they would at least have new OEM covers available by now to fit the 2021 bikes. If you're still coming up empty there, I would check whether a set of covers from MachineartMoto can be modified to match the new fittings.

By the way, I chose the covers instead of engine bars because I just prefer the looks of the covers. The bars, though more protective, look clunky to me on a purely street bike, though they look great on the Scrambler and Urban GS. Also, I figure if I'm crashing hard enough to need to protect the cylinder heads with crash bars, the bike is going to be the least of my concerns. So I went with stylish instead of sturdier, but they'll still work well if and when I drop my Beemer. ;)
Tim- I actually had BMW plastic covers for the 2020 and they didn't fit all. Nothing is available yet but it probably just a matter of time. I'll just not have to drop it, right? 😉

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just bought a UGS and have some questions...

Hey, new member here from NYC.
Just picked up a 2018 Urban G/S and I absolutely love it.
I do have a couple questions however:
(1) Oil was just changed, but my service light is on. Is there any simple way to reset this without expensive hardware & software?
(2) My stock orange seat seems to have some weird stains on it that I cannot seem to clean off for the life of me. I’ve tried various vinyl cleaners, laundry detergent, resolve stain remover, scrubbed with a fairly stiff brush, even took a power washer to it. It’s somewhat better, but a lot of the stains are not budging at all. Any experience with this? Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also:
(1) The red buttons on my switchgear are very faded from what I would imagine was extended UV exposure. Any suggestions for bringing them back to life, short of replacing them?
(2) My bike came with the optional spoke wheels and TKC80 tires. Currently at 4k miles and the rear tire is starting to show its wear. These are tubeless, correct? I know spoke wheels are normally tubed, but these spokes end on the outside of the rim, with no contact to the inside.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
584 Posts
@Cavallino

1.) The cheapest way to go about resetting the service interval is with the Motoscan App on an Android device and a bluetooth OBD-II device. Short of that the next best would be one of the varieties of a GS-911 with an OBD-II connector. Otherwise a quick trip to your closest independent BMW tech and a few bucks might do the trick too.

2.) Looks like maybe there was a seat cover that was left in the elements. Try a Magic Eraser maybe?

3.) A light penetrating oil or WD40 would temporarily bring some color back. I'd also imagine many of the myriad products designed to restore plastic trim on the exterior of cars would also do the trick. I recently used the Cerakote ceramic trim kit to really bring back the finish on my car.

4.) Yeah your wheels are the cross spoke tubeless wheels. I believe those were standard on the UGS and optional on the Scrambler.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah looks like your bike sat outside a lot. You can see oxidation on aluminum bits in your photos, plus the UV fading and filthy seat.

I just replaced the seat on my 18' UGS at 20k miles. I knew it had some patina but didn't realize it was quite this dark. Didn't realize how soft it also became too, new one is much more firm, feels like a new bike!

The material's texture and color just lends itself to dirt and stains. I've even had a brand new black waxed canvas jacket stain it (but rubbed off eventually).

I wash my bike regularly, use leather cleaner and conditioner regularly (even though this is vinyl), park indoors at home and work, only do about 1% off-road, a little bit of rain (PNW). Not sure what else you can do, but thats why you pay less for used.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah looks like I’m going to have to just replace it. Is that OE you replaced it with? Where did you source it?
Thanks
It very well could rub off with regular use.

New one is OEM, so any dealer can order it for you, I got mine from kfm-motorraeder.de. Solo rot (red) seat and luggage porter. I made a post about which part numbers to order.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
35 Posts
It very well could rub off with regular use.

New one is OEM, so any dealer can order it for you, I got mine from kfm-motorraeder.de. Solo rot (red) seat and luggage porter. I made a post about which part numbers to order.

Good luck and enjoy!
Oh you swapped it with the solo seat? Anyone know the part # for the dual standard height UGS seat?

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
189 Posts
My first 230km - comments and question
What a great first weekend with my new GS! I've been out 3 separate occasions for the sheer fun of it of course, and I have just finished looking through all of these comments.
Well, obviously a lot of the comments will be similar.
I am getting used to the clutch and the shifting. I know it's supposed to feel different, and it certainly does! I am not 100 % sure I understand the preloading the shifter and fanning the clutch as people here have explained it, but I have an idea about it, and will apply my thoughts while I am actually going through the motions.

It's a bit difficult to be super smooth upshifting AND downshifting all the time, and I got a bit frustrated but it's only my second day riding this bike I keep reminding myself!
I'm getting a feel of how the tranny feels when I shift down into neutral so again just a matter of time.

My dealer did not install the tach as I requested because THEY thought it wouldn't fit, so as a result I don't have a gear indicator. At times, I'm not sure what gear I'm in, but in reality I have never had a gear indicator on any bike so why should it be any different now..... again, just a bit more time in the saddle.

I did want the tach right away but now it really doesn't seem as important. So much power and so much torque really negates an actual need for the tach, but I probably will get one eventually, just not urgent anymore.

The manual states tire pressure of 36/42 and that is what the dealer prepped it with. Very firm but comfortable
I also did not touch the preload and damping although I did read a lot about it on these posts and others. I figured I would just see how it is straight away. Like I said, it is firm but comfortable and I don't really know what setting it is on. Will be doing that next weekend once I have a baseline feel for it. Anyways, as it is, it is already 10 times more comfortable that the Sportster suspension!
BTW I weigh 70kg

So my main question is engine temp. This weekend I rode in 32C degree weather with a humidex of 40-42 - stinkin hot and humid. (90F deg and humidex over 100F)
The engine temp showed mostly 4 bars and sometimes 3on a bit of highway. On the odd occasion, crawling along it showed 5 bars for a short time and then went back to 4.
Is that ok?
Sometimes too much information is not good, and I remind myself that these motors have gone around the world and back many times so it shouldn't be a problem. I love to give myself headaches! What experience have you all had with temp? Please put my mind at ease

I noticed comments about the red seat - dirt and stains and keeping it clean, etc ....
I LOVE MY RED SEAT!
It is so grippy, so RED .... AAARRRRGH ... amazing!

I hate the thought of it getting permanently stained or damaged, so that will be the battle to end all battles - to keep it in perfect condition. Let's see how that works out!

Thanks for reading this long story but I'm so excited about the bike and so many sensations that keep me smiling, it's hard to stop!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
My first 230km - comments and question
What a great first weekend with my new GS! I've been out 3 separate occasions for the sheer fun of it of course, and I have just finished looking through all of these comments.
Well, obviously a lot of the comments will be similar.
I am getting used to the clutch and the shifting. I know it's supposed to feel different, and it certainly does! I am not 100 % sure I understand the preloading the shifter and fanning the clutch as people here have explained it, but I have an idea about it, and will apply my thoughts while I am actually going through the motions.

It's a bit difficult to be super smooth upshifting AND downshifting all the time, and I got a bit frustrated but it's only my second day riding this bike I keep reminding myself!
I'm getting a feel of how the tranny feels when I shift down into neutral so again just a matter of time.

My dealer did not install the tach as I requested because THEY thought it wouldn't fit, so as a result I don't have a gear indicator. At times, I'm not sure what gear I'm in, but in reality I have never had a gear indicator on any bike so why should it be any different now..... again, just a bit more time in the saddle.

I did want the tach right away but now it really doesn't seem as important. So much power and so much torque really negates an actual need for the tach, but I probably will get one eventually, just not urgent anymore.

The manual states tire pressure of 36/42 and that is what the dealer prepped it with. Very firm but comfortable
I also did not touch the preload and damping although I did read a lot about it on these posts and others. I figured I would just see how it is straight away. Like I said, it is firm but comfortable and I don't really know what setting it is on. Will be doing that next weekend once I have a baseline feel for it. Anyways, as it is, it is already 10 times more comfortable that the Sportster suspension!
BTW I weigh 70kg

So my main question is engine temp. This weekend I rode in 32C degree weather with a humidex of 40-42 - stinkin hot and humid. (90F deg and humidex over 100F)
The engine temp showed mostly 4 bars and sometimes 3on a bit of highway. On the odd occasion, crawling along it showed 5 bars for a short time and then went back to 4.
Is that ok?
Sometimes too much information is not good, and I remind myself that these motors have gone around the world and back many times so it shouldn't be a problem. I love to give myself headaches! What experience have you all had with temp? Please put my mind at ease

I noticed comments about the red seat - dirt and stains and keeping it clean, etc ....
I LOVE MY RED SEAT!
It is so grippy, so RED .... AAARRRRGH ... amazing!

I hate the thought of it getting permanently stained or damaged, so that will be the battle to end all battles - to keep it in perfect condition. Let's see how that works out!

Thanks for reading this long story but I'm so excited about the bike and so many sensations that keep me smiling, it's hard to stop!
Your excitement is shared by many Jacc883, including me … and I’ve been a daily rider now on this bike for just over five years, well over 50 years UpOn2 wheels. I ride a 2015 Classic and will ride till one of us breaks and I’m pretty sure that will be me and not the machine. I promised my girlfriend …(who does not ride at all)… that the day I fall over and can’t pick up the bike I’ll quit riding. I’m 72 now and I’m figuring on riding into my eighties … (not)
I’m pleased to hear you are so excited about your machine too .. enjoy it. There are indeed some things to get used to …but just relax … it takes considerably more time and miles to break in the bike… and YOU too … glad to have you aboard this forum. BeWell Blitz

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
746 Posts
Are you blipping on downshifts?
These bikes do not have a slipper clutch, so if you are not blipping on downshift, then it can feel a bit "jerky".
Bit of rev-matching fixes this.

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
189 Posts
Are you blipping on downshifts?
These bikes do not have a slipper clutch, so if you are not blipping on downshift, then it can feel a bit "jerky".
Bit of rev-matching fixes this.
Yes I am, but still looking for that perfect blip!

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
189 Posts
Your excitement is shared by many Jacc883, including me … and I’ve been a daily rider now on this bike for just over five years, well over 50 years UpOn2 wheels. I ride a 2015 Classic and will ride till one of us breaks and I’m pretty sure that will be me and not the machine. I promised my girlfriend …(who does not ride at all)… that the day I fall over and can’t pick up the bike I’ll quit riding. I’m 72 now and I’m figuring on riding into my eighties … (not)
I’m pleased to hear you are so excited about your machine too .. enjoy it. There are indeed some things to get used to …but just relax … it takes considerably more time and miles to break in the bike… and YOU too … glad to have you aboard this forum. BeWell Blitz
Everything you said is exactly the same for me the only difference being wife instead of girlfriend.
Oh yeah ...... I am MUCH younger than you... haha (68) LOL

Super excited you can imagine!
Any comment on the engine temp "norm"?

thank you!

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
189 Posts
I notice you live in Texas so I'm guessing my engine temp thing is a non-issue compared to yours?

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
736 Posts
The bike will shift smoother as miles added. I'm just about 5000 miles and the bike is getting better and better. I spend time in Michigan and Florida. When in Florida on 90 degree day eng runs about 240 degrees f.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,310 Posts
@Jacc883 -- Glad to hear you're getting to know your new motorcycle! It's exciting learning a new bike. Here is some feedback and and some additional thoughts from me.

Engine temp is not really an issue unless it's extreme. I occasionally see 250F (121C) on my bike, and it doesn't concern me at all. I'm not sure where it starts to be a problem, but if it ever is, just pull over, turn the bike off, and let it cool down for a few minutes. This engine cools pretty quickly when off, especially compared to my old VFR 800, which took a while to cool down.

I installed an Evotech oil cooler guard this spring, and wondered what effect it would have, thinking I might need to remove it during the hottest summer months if necessary. But it's been fine. It may have added a few degrees to the running temp of the bike at times, but again it's been fine.

I just added the OEM tachometer last week to my R9T Pure. It didn't really bother me not having it, but there were many times I was getting on the highway doing 60 mph or more, and tried to upshift again, but found I was already in 6th gear. I'd have appreciated having either the tach or a gear indicator, but now I have both. It was interesting hitting some twisty roads yesterday and seeing where the revs were in the various gears while I was sportriding. I never really missed the tach, but having it is nice - both informative and kind of entertaining!

As for shifting, every bike is different but the R9T is okay. Preloading the shifter can help. This means putting light upward pressure with your toe on the shift lever just before you engage the clutch and actually toe up into the next gear. I do this once in a while, but not often.

Also, like many of us you may find the bike sometimes doesn't want to stay in 5th or 6th gear after an upshift. I'd had the transmission "fall" into the lower gear after an upshift several times. It usually means I didn't upshift with enough "oomph." There's nothing wrong with the bike when this happens -- it just likes more positive shifting action. Sometimes I also hold the shifter up with my toe when upshifting from 5th to 6th until just after I release the clutch. I never had to do that with my Honda, but it's not a hardship, just something I had to get used to, like you do with any new-to-you motorcycle.

This is my first boxer and first dry clutch, and to be honest the gearbox is a little clunky compared to my old bike. Sometimes I feel a little "hitch" upshifting from 4th or 5th gear, but I think it's just the nature of the dry clutch. But at times it's butter smooth, too. I'm sure as I put more miles on the bike (I'm at 7k miles now) the transmission will just get better. In fact, I don't think of any of this as much a negative as I do that it's part of the bike's character. But as an FYI, as was recently discussed in some thread on the forum, this bike does not like clutchless shifting. Which is fine with me, as I'm not a fan of that practice anyway, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Enjoy getting to know your new R9T even better! :)

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
189 Posts
@Jacc883 -- Glad to hear you're getting to know your new motorcycle! It's exciting learning a new bike. Here is some feedback and and some additional thoughts from me.

Engine temp is not really an issue unless it's extreme. I occasionally see 250F (121C) on my bike, and it doesn't concern me at all. I'm not sure where it starts to be a problem, but if it ever is, just pull over, turn the bike off, and let it cool down for a few minutes. This engine cools pretty quickly when off, especially compared to my old VFR 800, which took a while to cool down.

I installed an Evotech oil cooler guard this spring, and wondered what effect it would have, thinking I might need to remove it during the hottest summer months if necessary. But it's been fine. It may have added a few degrees to the running temp of the bike at times, but again it's been fine.

I just added the OEM tachometer last week to my R9T Pure. It didn't really bother me not having it, but there were many times I was getting on the highway doing 60 mph or more, and tried to upshift again, but found I was already in 6th gear. I'd have appreciated having either the tach or a gear indicator, but now I have both. It was interesting hitting some twisty roads yesterday and seeing where the revs were in the various gears while I was sportriding. I never really missed the tach, but having it is nice - both informative and kind of entertaining!

As for shifting, every bike is different but the R9T is okay. Preloading the shifter can help. This means putting light upward pressure with your toe on the shift lever just before you engage the clutch and actually toe up into the next gear. I do this once in a while, but not often.

Also, like many of us you may find the bike sometimes doesn't want to stay in 5th or 6th gear after an upshift. I'd had the transmission "fall" into the lower gear after an upshift several times. It usually means I didn't upshift with enough "oomph." There's nothing wrong with the bike when this happens -- it just likes more positive shifting action. Sometimes I also hold the shifter up with my toe when upshifting from 5th to 6th until just after I release the clutch. I never had to do that with my Honda, but it's not a hardship, just something I had to get used to, like you do with any new-to-you motorcycle.

This is my first boxer and first dry clutch, and to be honest the gearbox is a little clunky compared to my old bike. Sometimes I feel a little "hitch" upshifting from 4th or 5th gear, but I think it's just the nature of the dry clutch. But at times it's butter smooth, too. I'm sure as I put more miles on the bike (I'm at 7k miles now) the transmission will just get better. In fact, I don't think of any of this as much a negative as I do that it's part of the bike's character. But as an FYI, as was recently discussed in some thread on the forum, this bike does not like clutchless shifting. Which is fine with me, as I'm not a fan of that practice anyway, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Enjoy getting to know your new R9T even better! :)
TimC, thank you for the time you took to pass along all of this info. I feel much better knowing what you shared.
I only have bars for my temp and not actual degrees but if other guys are riding in CA ,Texas or FLA, I'm sure the bike should handle my heat without issue.... but I'm a worrier :(
I haven't done the cooler guard yet but it was on my list for sure

The tach issue was also the same, I thought I couldn't live without it, but it's ok - will get one soon enough and not in a rush anymore.

As for everything else, I understand the it takes a while to break in and I will do my due diligence while keeping all this info at the forefront of my awareness.

thanks !!!
Did I already say this bike is amazing?
oops, sorry :)

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,310 Posts
There is a nice variety of oil cooler guards out there for the R9T. Some are a little more open for ventilation, and some less so. I think the Evotech is about average for coverage. Again, mine has been fine. I worried a little at first, especially with summer coming, but a couple hot weather rides down in Kentucky during a trip last month showed me it wasn't going to be an issue.

If you want a guard but are leery of restricting air flow to the oil cooler just know that there are a few options with a more open design. Also, they come up for sale sometimes on the forum's Market Place section (under Parts & Accessories), so if you're not in a hurry to get one and you're looking to save a little dough you might score a good deal on a nice used one. ;)

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
584 Posts
Is that ok?
I feel like BMW dumbed down the temp display for the '21 models to chill out some of this paranoia from folks because where the temp is read from isn't the sump. '17-20 bikes have an actual number displayed and people freak out about it, especially because the display stops updating at 143C/289F even though the temp can go higher safely.

That said I don't think the community has really been talking enough about what is 'regular' on the '21 bikes to display yet. My recommendation is to just put it out of your head and keep the display showing some other measure, but I know on your bike it can be on the right display not the left like the older bikes. I'd only keep it showing if you are in slow moving traffic for an extended time.

341 - 360 of 407 Posts