BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
361 - 380 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Everything you said is exactly the same for me the only difference being wife instead of girlfriend.
Oh yeah ...... I am MUCH younger than you... haha (68) LOL

Super excited you can imagine!
Any comment on the engine temp "norm"?

thank you!
Well Jacc883, there are many threads on this forum about operating temperatures and many varying opinions on that topic. The boxer version we are running is an air/oil cooled model. I believe the predominant danger of overheating here is the damage to your oil if it breaks down because of excess heat, then of course what follows is physical damage to the engine when the oil looses its ability to lubricate. I don’t agree with some of the oil recommendations made by BMW because they negotiate contracts with oil suppliers that are more involved in finance than lubrication. My personal choices are as a result of long term successful use and abuse with out any lubrication related failure. I believe in 100% total synthetic oil in all of my motored devices and the list is a long one from automobiles to pressure washers and lawn equipment to generators and welding equipment too. My motorcycle is no exception. As soon as I reached about 3K miles and I realized she was no longer using any oil, that my break-in was complete and the rings were seated properly I switched to synthetic. Now I don’t use or consume any quantity of oil between changes, none! My choice to synthetic is based on the ability of that oil to withstand much higher temperatures than standard oil. Read the threads available here because there are many valid opinions, I do what works for me. Your location, type of riding, climate and availability all enter into the equation. I’d also like to note that BMW did not think it necessary to install a temperature gage on my model anyway. That’s a big hint to me that the odds of you having a catastrophic failure as a result of high temperature it’s very low. The Selection of oil, viscosity, temperature range and quality or cost is a decision you have to make based on where and how you ride. The engine is often referred to as bulletproof, there’s a reason for that. In my opinion of all the things you need to be worried about temperature is near the bottom of the list. Please read the threads, there is valuable information and abundant experience and wisdom to be gleaned. Good Luck Mate.
……Blitz

Reactions: Jacc883

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
182 Posts
I feel like BMW dumbed down the temp display for the '21 models to chill out some of this paranoia from folks because where the temp is read from isn't the sump. '17-20 bikes have an actual number displayed and people freak out about it, especially because the display stops updating at 143C/289F even though the temp can go higher safely.

That said I don't think the community has really been talking enough about what is 'regular' on the '21 bikes to display yet. My recommendation is to just put it out of your head and keep the display showing some other measure, but I know on your bike it can be on the right display not the left like the older bikes. I'd only keep it showing if you are in slow moving traffic for an extended time.
It's probably not a bad thing to dumb it down. I'm the first to want every gauge possible but it just makes me more paranoid. Secretly, that's probably what I really want. :)
Even back in the 60s and 70s, my cars always had every temp, pressure and vacuum gauges possible!

I've only got the speedo so it will always be on the left display. Since I've been riding in only hot weather 30-34C the past few days, I think I'm starting to figure it out.

The norm will be 3 bars in temperate weather and as soon as it's fairly warm, 4 bars will be the standard. Some stop and go traffic and red lights in hot weather will bring up the 5th bar and you will only bring it back down when you get a clear road for several kms.

You are correct in saying to change the display to something else ...... like the time even ..... just to not think about it.
In reality like I mentioned, Texas, Nevada and never mind the middle east countries, they have serious heat. So if it's good enough for them, I'm sure the bike can handle my puny Montreal heat.

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
182 Posts
Well Jacc883, there are many threads on this forum about operating temperatures and many varying opinions on that topic. The boxer version we are running is an air/oil cooled model. I believe the predominant danger of overheating here is the damage to your oil if it breaks down because of excess heat, then of course what follows is physical damage to the engine when the oil looses its ability to lubricate. I don’t agree with some of the oil recommendations made by BMW because they negotiate contracts with oil suppliers that are more involved in finance than lubrication. My personal choices are as a result of long term successful use and abuse with out any lubrication related failure. I believe in 100% total synthetic oil in all of my motored devices and the list is a long one from automobiles to pressure washers and lawn equipment to generators and welding equipment too. My motorcycle is no exception. As soon as I reached about 3K miles and I realized she was no longer using any oil, that my break-in was complete and the rings were seated properly I switched to synthetic. Now I don’t use or consume any quantity of oil between changes, none! My choice to synthetic is based on the ability of that oil to withstand much higher temperatures than standard oil. Read the threads available here because there are many valid opinions, I do what works for me. Your location, type of riding, climate and availability all enter into the equation. I’d also like to note that BMW did not think it necessary to install a temperature gage on my model anyway. That’s a big hint to me that the odds of you having a catastrophic failure as a result of high temperature it’s very low. The Selection of oil, viscosity, temperature range and quality or cost is a decision you have to make based on where and how you ride. The engine is often referred to as bulletproof, there’s a reason for that. In my opinion of all the things you need to be worried about temperature is near the bottom of the list. Please read the threads, there is valuable information and abundant experience and wisdom to be gleaned. Good Luck Mate.
……Blitz
Thanks for your input, I agree 100%
I was told that the BMW Advantec oil is 100% synthetic. Since their recommendations are 10K oil changes, I could see how that would be the case, so I will believe them for now. I think I will be changing a bit more often than that.

Having said that, I was in the autoparts business most of my working life from way back when. I changed and tried different plugs, oil, etc.... more often than people change underwear for Pete's sake!

Long story short, I have been using Amsoil 100% synthetic oil in every one of my vehicles since the late 70s and that is my oil of choice bar none!
As soon as I see fit vis-a-vis warranty considerations, I will be going back to Amsoil.

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
182 Posts
There is a nice variety of oil cooler guards out there for the R9T. Some are a little more open for ventilation, and some less so. I think the Evotech is about average for coverage. Again, mine has been fine. I worried a little at first, especially with summer coming, but a couple hot weather rides down in Kentucky during a trip last month showed me it wasn't going to be an issue.

If you want a guard but are leery of restricting air flow to the oil cooler just know that there are a few options with a more open design. Also, they come up for sale sometimes on the forum's Market Place section (under Parts & Accessories), so if you're not in a hurry to get one and you're looking to save a little dough you might score a good deal on a nice used one. ;)
I found this one a while back and it seems like it would be VERY free-flowing. Now are the slots TOO BIG ?

·
Registered
2021 BMW R NineT Scrambler
124 Posts
Hello my friend, you are cracking me up with your worries about that awesome new ride of yours. I am thinking about that commercial a while back about the new parents and their first born, they worried and fretted about every little thing then with the second kid, boom it's a new ball game. :love:

Of course better safe than sorry, question everything but enjoy the ride. It is all part of a learning game, you learn, you adapt, you grow. I also believe that being a part of this forum is a remarkable resource because of the depth of the talent pool. So ask the questions, be smart, and enjoy the ride, but watch out for those driveway burnouts.....

Once you get past the basics one of my favorite quotes from A. Einstein applies here, “Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.” :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
581 Posts
I was told that the BMW Advantec oil is 100% synthetic. Since their recommendations are 10K oil changes, I could see how that would be the case, so I will believe them for now.
BMW Advantec is semi-synth not full synth. Just an FYI depending on your preferences.

You are correct in saying to change the display to something else ...... like the time even ..... just to not think about it.
In reality like I mentioned, Texas, Nevada and never mind the middle east countries, they have serious heat. So if it's good enough for them, I'm sure the bike can handle my puny Montreal heat.
I'd recommend keeping the trip odometer up. Learn how many miles you get on average and use that as your primary display unless you have reason to suspect that temps will be abnormal.

Either my bike has always run about 5-10 degrees warmer than others here or I just ride harder all the time but I see temps on the higher side of average usually. I learned to just let it be and not stress. The bikes have temp warning lights. And as others have stated I just make minor adjustments in the oil I use to be more comfortable running warmer.

My bike has been running like gangbusters and I recently did a full oil change, air filter, battery and spark plugs and saw nothing amiss. Trust the reliability of the mechanicals.

·
Registered
124 Posts
J. I just looked at your link to the cooler guard and it seems to me, other than being a bit pricey, a nice unit. Directed slots vs. holes would seem to flow better, however, I am wondering what kind of riding will you be doing?

On the Bean I know I will be going off road, fire roads, and trails whenever possible/legal so I know that the inevitable rock, branch, hard nasty, will try to jump up and smash my cooler, that said, for you it may be a lower priority to get a guard and therefore save yourself a buck to spend elsewhere on your ride.

Of course now the left side of my little brain just kicked in and shouted that a once of prevention is better than a pound of cure...:unsure:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
J. I just looked at your link to the cooler guard and it seems to me, other than being a bit pricey, a nice unit. Directed slots vs. holes would seem to flow better, however, I am wondering what kind of riding will you be doing?

On the Bean I know I will be going off road, fire roads, and trails whenever possible/legal so I know that the inevitable rock, branch, hard nasty, will try to jump up and smash my cooler, that said, for you it may be a lower priority to get a guard and therefore save yourself a buck to spend elsewhere on your ride.

Of course now the left side of my little brain just kicked in and shouted that a once of prevention is better than a pound of cure...:unsure:
I think U forgot the U. No matter, I can’t speel anyway …. 😁 …. Blits, I mean Z … Cheers

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
182 Posts
Hello my friend, you are cracking me up with your worries about that awesome new ride of yours. I am thinking about that commercial a while back about the new parents and their first born, they worried and fretted about every little thing then with the second kid, boom it's a new ball game. :love:

Of course better safe than sorry, question everything but enjoy the ride. It is all part of a learning game, you learn, you adapt, you grow. I also believe that being a part of this forum is a remarkable resource because of the depth of the talent pool. So ask the questions, be smart, and enjoy the ride, but watch out for those driveway burnouts.....

Once you get past the basics one of my favorite quotes from A. Einstein applies here, “Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.” :ROFLMAO:
I am happy to be entertaining you with my incessant paranoia !
:)

Yes it's true, I am crazy but the truth is you only worry when you don't know the actual facts, that is ... worrying about the unknown or even the possibility of the unknown!

I have gone out again this morning and am learning about the bike more and more. Getting to really feel more comfortable. After reading yesterday's posts, I shift a bit better and things are clicking. Mileage and more mileage is what makes the difference.

This bike is INCREDIBLE.
What a beast. Totally totally insane. I just cannot believe how amazing it is. What have I been missing all these years !!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oh man, you are seriously making me jealous.... but in a happy sort of way. I remember your post of the weather, (I think is was you), did you get that wet suit and snorkel or have you had some weather luck? Also I remember reading somewhere that BMW recommends break in on a twisty mountain road, sure hope you find one near and take pictures so I can live vicariously through you...

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
182 Posts
Oh man, you are seriously making me jealous.... but in a happy sort of way. I remember your post of the weather, (I think is was you), did you get that wet suit and snorkel or have you had some weather luck? Also I remember reading somewhere that BMW recommends break in on a twisty mountain road, sure hope you find one near and take pictures so I can live vicariously through you...
I know I'm raving about it but it's really true. You will see
Yes I had the wet-suit weather and still do.
I work part-time but I switched my days with a co-worker - today being the only sunny day this week. Hot but at least no rain.

Haven't had a chance to do a twisty mountain road but I am exercising it every possible chance I get, using secondary roads. No pics yet, cause if I stop I will melt.
How is yours coming along. Any further update?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yup, I have a bunch of promises, maybe's, sort of's, and possibly's, you know, the usual....:cry: My guys in the shop are optimistic though and hoping for this week or next. I'll believe it when I throw a leg over her.

I can relate to the heat, this last week it has been hitting the high 36's (97f ) to up in the low 40's (105 f).

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,234 Posts
That oil cooler guard above is different from the others I've seen. It looks like the "fins" would direct air into the oil cooler, which is kind of cool, but it's also kind of "busy" for my taste, but hey that's just me and my opinion. Still a cool looking design though!

As for what to keep on display, I usually put the left gauge on engine temp and the right (since I added the OEM tach last week) on the battery voltage. I don't tend to worry about either one, but to me it's like just keeping an eye on things. When I start to get close to the low fuel/reserve level I'll switch the left over to the second trip odometer. Sometimes I kind of rotate the different screens just for the sheer entertainment of it! :LOL:

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
182 Posts
Header Pipe color

The header pipes on my bike are turning to a yellow-gold color, and I noticed that on LWIRWA's bike ... also a euro5, his pipes are turning the same color.
Granted I only have 500km on my bike and probably similar to his as well.

other bikes I've seen, like garthy's on track picture, shows pipes to have blue/gold and deep red colors.
Is it because of the mileage or different heat signatures of the euro3 and 4 bikes? Perhaps the pipe material is different? Titanium?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It has as much to do with the high temperature and how long it was sustained, …how quickly it was cooled (ie. Rain water vs. air) and the metal type as well as any plating material ..if any
(chrome, nickel etc) Titanium especially reacts with heat, Google ..see images of titanium jewelry. Same metallurgical phenomenon occurs with many metals in varying degrees. Next time you ride at night …after sustaining 90 to 100+ for say ten minutes take a look at your exhaust manifold up close to the heads. Mine look electric ..they go cherry-red, it’s beautiful………Blitz

·
Registered
Urban GS 2021
182 Posts
. Next time you ride at night …after sustaining 90 to 100+ for say ten minutes take a look at your exhaust manifold up close to the heads. Mine look electric ..they go cherry-red, it’s beautiful………Blitz
That sounds like a plan !!!

·
Registered
BMW R NineT 2021 (Black Storm Metallic, Comfort Pack, Adaptive Headlight, Option 719 Classic Wheels)
67 Posts
The headers on both my Euro5 classic and the Euro5 scrambler loan bike I had for the day during my one's first service are both beginning to blue right by the head - not as dramatically as the Euro3/4 bikes I've seen, but these are still <1000 miles old and the Euro5 engines do seem to run cooler to me. Give it time and they'll colour up nicely :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, First post from a (hopefully soon) new owner. I read all these Q/A and there is some great info! Most of my noob questions were answered, though I did have one, and search failed.

With the optional OEM rev-counter/tachometer is it possible to mount it to the LEFT of the Speedo? I’m a lefty and my brain just expects the Tac to be on the left, is it possible?… This would be mounted on a 2021 or 2022 Scrambler.

Thanks

·
Registered
BMW R NineT 2021 (Black Storm Metallic, Comfort Pack, Adaptive Headlight, Option 719 Classic Wheels)
67 Posts
Hi all, First post from a (hopefully soon) new owner. I read all these Q/A and there is some great info! Most of my noob questions were answered, though I did have one, and search failed.

With the optional OEM rev-counter/tachometer is it possible to mount it to the LEFT of the Speedo? I’m a lefty and my brain just expects the Tac to be on the left, is it possible?… This would be mounted on a 2021 or 2022 Scrambler.

Thanks
I genuinely have no idea (don't tell me, that's no help!) BUT what I would say is that the rocker switch on the left hand switchgear would then be the wrong way round effectively (leftmost button, "up", operates the left hand display - rightmost "down" vice versa).

I'm sure you'd get used to it, in my experience tach on the right is more common but there doesn't seem to be a particular convention either way.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
1,234 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you can switch the positions of the two gauges. I just installed the rev counter on my 2020 R9T Pure about a month ago, and while doing it I had to double check which one I was installing and where. The only issue you might run into is whether there is enough slack in the cables to allow the gauges to be swapped around. There is usually some extra slack available by cutting one or two zipties under the tank, but that might not even be necessary.

361 - 380 of 388 Posts