BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
381 - 400 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hi all, First post from a (hopefully soon) new owner. I read all these Q/A and there is some great info! Most of my noob questions were answered, though I did have one, and search failed.

With the optional OEM rev-counter/tachometer is it possible to mount it to the LEFT of the Speedo? I’m a lefty and my brain just expects the Tac to be on the left, is it possible?… This would be mounted on a 2021 or 2022 Scrambler.

Thanks
Hey Funk, I’m thinking it wouldn’t be an issue … if the gages are same diameter (to fit the mount) and they are all electric as are mine on a 2015 Classic. It should be a DIY project with a few tools and such. Are you a handy man ? Shouldn’t be a problem if you are. No rocket science needed. BeWell and welcome to the hangout for moto heads with time on their hands. StayUpOn2 …..Blitz

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Funk, I’m thinking it wouldn’t be an issue … if the gages are same diameter (to fit the mount) and they are all electric as are mine on a 2015 Classic. It should be a DIY project with a few tools and such. Are you a handy man ? Shouldn’t be a problem if you are. No rocket science needed. BeWell and welcome to the hangout for moto heads with time on their hands. StayUpOn2 …..Blitz
Thanks for the info guys. I hadn’t considered that the controls could be reversed. I’ll probably just install it as directed and in time I won’t notice. :D

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I hadn’t considered that the controls could be reversed. I’ll probably just install it as directed and in time I won’t notice. :D
I think your right Funk, it won’t be hard getting used to it… the tack will be the one jumping around a lot, it’s when the shift and brake pedals get switched around that it starts getting crazy in the corners… right foot shift - left foot brakes etc.. What? ….am I giving away my age here ? You can get accustomed to anything Funk … give it a chance just StayUpOn2 …..Blitz

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another Q: I was at the dealer yesterday drooling over ”my” RNineT 🤣 and in the process of crawling on the ground looking at it from every angle I noticed a tiny switch under the Foot brake lever. It’s a very small lever type pressure switch, which seems to ‘open’ at the smallest touch of the foot brake lever.

Is it some sort of dead man switch or is it just the rear brake light switch? It seems that in this position its ripe for becoming clogged up w/ mud etc and getting stuck open or closed.

Thanks
s

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You did Blitz, I used to ride a 68 xlch sporster around with right hand shift. when under stress/panic that shift pedal isn't a good brake at all.
I knew there’d be a few of us who’d bit there tongue in a tight corner Rick. Good on ya Mate…..Blitz

·
Registered
2021 R nineT
10 Posts
Here is a quick question as a new owner of a 2021 R9T. Whats with the total lack of 2021 accessories? Do they typically lag behid this far?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,701 Posts
Whats with the total lack of 2021 accessories?
As the model didn't really change that much from the pre-'21, many accessories are in fact available that will fit your bike. So your "total lack" isn't really accurate.
What accessories specific to your nineT do you have in mind that you cannot find?

·
Registered
2021 R nineT
10 Posts
As the model didn't really change that much from the pre-'21, many accessories are in fact available that will fit your bike. So your "total lack" isn't really accurate.
What accessories specific to your nineT do you have in mind that you cannot find?
Yeah except when I go to about EVERY parts and accessory web site and select 2021..just about nothing appears. I do know that many of those will fit the 2021 model..but it's a leap of faith and the part I was going to buy as my first purchase ( some of those valve cover guards) does not fit it and it's thanks to this forum that I didn't try and buy them.

I don't know what year the clutch and front brake master cylinder covers went to a 3 screw pattern, but how long did it take for the parts catalogs to know and list those new covers? If it took longer than 7 months, fair enough...looks like my question is answered with "This has happened before with a prev model"..but it's a bit confusing at this point.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hi owners, my 2015 R Nine T came with an owner's manual showing the fuel gage icon in the speedometer. My bike however has it in the display. Could someone enlighten me as to what each of the 3 available screens is showing with regard to fuel level and range remaining? Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,701 Posts
Hi owners, my 2015 R Nine T came with an owner's manual showing the fuel gage icon in the speedometer. My bike however has it in the display. Could someone enlighten me as to what each of the 3 available screens is showing with regard to fuel level and range remaining? Cheers.
The orange fuel gauge icon in the speedometer is merely a low fuel alert. This will come on when you are down to a 'reserve' amount.
Then your trip meter (Trip1 690km) will start to show kms travelled on reserve and will count up from 1.

The three screens you show that are accessed via the info button is not fuel level or fuel/range remaining.
The first one pictured is current fuel consumption; ie. it will fluctuate with throttle imput while riding. It shows the dashes before you head off.
The second one is average speed; ie. 67km/h
The third one is overall average fuel consumption since it was last reset; ie 8.2ltr/100km

Explained in the owners manual, section 3 pages 21-22 ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The orange fuel gauge icon in the speedometer is merely a low fuel alert. This will come on when you are down to a 'reserve' amount.
Then your trip meter (Trip1 690km) will start to show kms travelled on reserve and will count up from 1.

The three screens you show that are accessed via the info button is not fuel level or fuel/range remaining.
The first one pictured is current fuel consumption; ie. it will fluctuate with throttle imput while riding. It shows the dashes before you head off.
The second one is average speed; ie. 67km/h
The third one is overall average fuel consumption since it was last reset; ie 8.2ltr/100km

Explained in the owners manual, section 3 pages 21-22 ;)
Thanks for that Captain. I guess I will need to zero Trip 2 as well if going on reserve eliminates the Trip 1 value. So I see that when the light goes on and there is 3 litres left (page 26) and therefore 3/8.2 x 100 = 36.6 km to run out. You would have thought that at all times the remaining range using the average consumption would be displayed rather than the mental maths needed, like my cars do.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,701 Posts
Reactions: Trabots

·
Registered
5 Posts
New owner clutch question

I’m a new owner of a R nine T and really am enjoying the bike except the feel of the clutch at starting off from still. I find it hard to get a positive feeling getting the bike underway. To me the first gear feel tall making me having to rev just right and slip the clutch. If I’m too fast on the clutch I can easily stall the bike. I’ve owned many bikes all my life so I’m not a beginner. I’m afraid I’ll needlessly wear the clutch out. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had this exact experience on my first test rides and it kinda shook me. Everything I’ve read /watched since about these bikes seems to indicate there is a learning curve (often called “character”) with these bikes. Many riders have said that it gets better and better over time. Eventually you’ll master it and become one with the machine!! (Which is very appealing to me). I’ve experienced this in the past w/ other vehicles and its exciting.

It got better for me on the 2nd ride. I just tried to relax and be more deliberate with my actions, which helped. Just try and think of it as the ‘getting to know you’ period of time might be a bit longer than you expected.
Best of luck.

381 - 400 of 407 Posts