BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
401 - 416 of 416 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
I had this exact experience on my first test rides and it kinda shook me. Everything I’ve read /watched since about these bikes seems to indicate there is a learning curve (often called “character”) with these bikes. Many riders have said that it gets better and better over time. Eventually you’ll master it and become one with the machine!! (Which is very appealing to me). I’ve experienced this in the past w/ other vehicles and its exciting.

It got better for me on the 2nd ride. I just tried to relax and be more deliberate with my actions, which helped. Just try and think of it as the ‘getting to know you’ period of time might be a bit longer than you expected.
Best of luck.
Sooo true FunkTion… the whole “function” of riding a motorcycle is to be one with the machine … it’s the closest you’ll get to flying on the ground. There’s a reason the first three letters of function is FUN. I don’t think anyone would ride if it weren’t so damn much fun, because as we all know… it’s damn dangerous. Beamer’s are a different breed of bike and take some getting used to. The engine generates substantial torque in a different axis than many other bikes. The horizontal pistons keep a greater amount of the engine weight closer to the ground so BMW’s have a very grounded feel and low center of gravity. The hydraulic operation of the clutch is very different than cable systems and indeed takes some getting used to …but every new ride, bike or car takes some familiarizing. Practice, practice practice … when you are finally one with the machine it’s amazing …the feeling of power and control just inches from death …. The more I ride the more I want to ride …and the better and more confident I become … that tiny grin on my lips as I go out the door and mount up ..grows and spreads completely across my face such that when I get home and hit the kill switch I’m always surprised at how much my cheeks ache from continually smiling. You’ll get there Buckaroo, I promise… you’ll get there. Your riding a beautiful and wonderfully engineered bike and those brilliant Germans have been at this a very long time, so ..you take your time and get to know your machine. When you feel the grips melt into your hands at around 100 and your legs feel like they grow into the skin of the tank, at that moment you know in your heart if you had wings you could fly ..hunker down ..hold on and you've become
“one with the machine” Twist your wrist GoFast and Have FUN! StayUpOn2 Buckaroo
and you Get Funky … FunkTion … …….Blitz
“I aim to misbehave”

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very fun and enlightening responses guys and a grateful thanks! I’m trying to get the wife to allow me to bring the machine in my living room so I can sit and admire her! I wanted a Ducati Penigale for that reason but this one is a beautiful functional replacement!

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Very fun and enlightening responses guys and a grateful thanks! I’m trying to get the wife to allow me to bring the machine in my living room so I can sit and admire her! I wanted a Ducati Penigale for that reason but this one is a beautiful functional replacement!
I’m glad you went with the 9T or you’d probably be asking permission from your sweetie to bring your tool kit into the living room too, ducks need lots of attention while your German ride will be at the exit saying “what are we waiting for ?” while your duck is coughing and asking for attention. With the Boxer comes the term ..dependable.. or ..as a Beamer Buddy would say, “Bullet Proof” Smart Choice if your tired of wrenching your ride like me. Get on and have some fun……….. I love looking at my bike too but riding just to Cruz is tops … I call it
“Wandering At Speed” BeWell Buck ! ……..Blitz

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Scrambler 2021
66 Posts
Okay, so I was on the same boat as @FunkTion29 in terms of thinking the clutch was just me needing to get used to it... but as my post about 2021 woes says, the service mechanic said he thought something was off about my clutch, and it is what is currently being looked at amongst others.. I also have a 2021, the scrambler model to be exact. Starting to get a bit concern about issues with the 2021 lineup if other people seem to have the same issue, more so with @Buckaroo also having the same clutch issue with a scrambler.

My thoughts or feelings on the clutch, I felt on very low RPMs and gears there was nothing I could do in terms of being gentle to keep the bike from being a bit jumpy. On the higher gears, usually can't notice if close to the red-line, but on any gear, even high, if you shift at lower RPMs, it feels jumpy, no matter how well you ease into it.

It's my first ride above 700cc, so I thought it was just me, but perhaps not.

·
Registered
2016 RNineT
89 Posts
One thing that I’ve been doing quite a bit of is watching YouTube videos of people riding RNineT, scramblers, etc. and watching and listening to how they shift. This bike definitely likes to ride gears to higher RPMs and shift higher. I watch a lot of people ride around all day at 70-80 miles an hour and never go above third gear; so it could just be changing the way you think about the shifting on these bikes.
It doesn’t help that there’s no tachometer , that would be so helpful for learning to ride these bikes.
👍🏻

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,773 Posts
I came from a V4 I'd ridden for 14 years, and this is my first boxer twin, so take this with a grain of salt. I think this boxer hangs its revs a little, at least compared to other engine configurations. It just seems slower to lose engine speed when I pull in the clutch compared to my old Honda VFR 800.

Maybe there's an issue with your clutch, or maybe can try to blip the throttle to match the revs going up and down, release the clutch a little later, and release it just a bit more gradually. Please don't take that as criticism. I don't mean to come off as a jerk. Maybe you're already doing those things and there's a real issue. I have no idea. But I do know there is a bit of a learning curve to this bike's clutch and gearbox. After 11 months and 8,500 miles on my 2020 Pure I still get a little jumpiness in the drivetrain once in a while.

Personally I think there is some actual minor rev hang upshifting from 1st to 2nd, though I have no proof other than the feeling that the revs fall slower during that upshift than during 2nd and up. I also have experienced the bike kind of jerking forward when I released the clutch too soon shifting from 1st to 2nd, as the revs were still a little high. But like I said above, I think the revs fall slower in general on this motorcycle compared to other engine designs. I don't know if that's true of all boxers, or just this iteration.

·
Registered
2016 RNineT
89 Posts
I forgot I’d posted about shifting a few times already. Now after having ridden 700mi or so I hope I can articulate it a bit better. Much of my initial issues were due to inexperience with the bike/clutch. I still let the clutch out too quickly sometimes when shifting but it’s getting better all the time. Still play hide and seek with N quite often tho. ;)

One thing I still have trouble with is the herky-jerky in 1st or 2nd at low speeds. i.e. following in city/school traffic or in crowded/slow areas esp. with uneven ground; when you’re continuously moving but only a few MPH the bike just doesn’t like to go slow smoothly. Its either gas on/g-force or gas off/fly forward with the torque/engine braking. You get the picture. Is there some clutch technique or a way to adjust the smoothness of the throttle*? *2016 model
My inclination is to “increase the idle” but I don’t know if thats even a concept with modern motorcycles; or is this just a design of the engine/gearing that takes getting used to as well? General learning curve?

I’m watching “Twist of the Wrist 2” and I’m realizing that I’ve got a lot to learn/practice. Most if not all of my issues/gripes/pains/etc are down to my SR. Using parts of my body against what the bike wants, not knowing less can be more, and practicing the correct methods. 👍🏻

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Classic
34 Posts
Another question -
Is there a way I can adjust the rear brake pedal sensitivity so that the brake light does not keep lighting as soon as I rest my foot ? It becomes very difficult to keep the right foot weightless over the lever.

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Classic
34 Posts
++
I am looking for bar riser on 2018 nine t classic. Would the 1 1/8" ones fit the bar ?

·
Registered
2021 R nineT Option 719, Triumph Bobber
93 Posts
I feel like BMW dumbed down the temp display for the '21 models to chill out some of this paranoia from folks because where the temp is read from isn't the sump. '17-20 bikes have an actual number displayed and people freak out about it, especially because the display stops updating at 143C/289F even though the temp can go higher safely.

That said I don't think the community has really been talking enough about what is 'regular' on the '21 bikes to display yet. My recommendation is to just put it out of your head and keep the display showing some other measure, but I know on your bike it can be on the right display not the left like the older bikes. I'd only keep it showing if you are in slow moving traffic for an extended time.
Thanks for confirming this, I had been trawling the owners manual trying to work out how to get the temperature to display in degrees C rather than with bars. I am sure you are right in that BMW decided to dumb it down to avoid people bending their dealers ears every time they saw high temps displayed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
One thing that I’ve been doing quite a bit of is watching YouTube videos of people riding RNineT, scramblers, etc. and watching and listening to how they shift. This bike definitely likes to ride gears to higher RPMs and shift higher. I watch a lot of people ride around all day at 70-80 miles an hour and never go above third gear; so it could just be changing the way you think about the shifting on these bikes.
It doesn’t help that there’s no tachometer , that would be so helpful for learning to ride these bikes.
👍🏻
If I ride lively I always rather use higher gears and use engines torque. I mostly ride with friends on sport bikes and on twisties I never need higher RPM. I think bike works best in middle 70% of RPM.

·
Registered
2021 BMW r nineT Pure
14 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I hadn’t considered that the controls could be reversed. I’ll probably just install it as directed and in time I won’t notice. :D
I just did this mod myself. Cases, bracket, etc. don't care which gage goes on which side. Your limiting factor will be the the length of the cables that connect into the back of the gages. Remember, the speedo cable comes up to it's mounting point from the left side of the bike, while the tach cable comes up from the right.
Having said that, you....might...have enough extra length in both cables to do what you're asking. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello guys I’m buying a 2021 urban and I wonder if there is a thread that lists the main differences of the updated 2021’s… also I want to add a tach to the bike, is it more or less the same procedure as the older bikes just with the updated 2021 parts? Thanks

·
Premium Member
R9teees
666 Posts
Hello guys I’m buying a 2021 urban and I wonder if there is a thread that lists the main differences of the updated 2021’s… also I want to add a tach to the bike, is it more or less the same procedure as the older bikes just with the updated 2021 parts? Thanks
You can get a Koso. Wunderlich sells them. Plug and play tach is digital and rings the gauge. It takes five minutes to install. Worth the money. IMO

401 - 416 of 416 Posts