BMW NineT Forum banner

2121 - 2140 of 2169 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RnieT
8 Posts
Looks great, what did the paint job set you back? Still debating what to do with mine, not sure if I like the Catalano Gray.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It looks great!

I was leaning towards the Hepco Becker setup, if only for easier and much faster purchasing here in the States. But the various Nomada bags appear to sit closer to the bike - as they should.
this system in the picture is only 68cm wide. Much less than the narrow steering wheel in RACER and even narrower than the width of the cylinders;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
A brief but satisfying Mother’s Day morning ride out to Sauvie Island to take in the farmland, and bang down some lumpy gravel roads. The new suspension isn’t dialed in or broken in yet, but it’s a clear step forward. As it rides now, even without the suspension travel or big roomy cockpit or better tires, it’s more fun and easier for not-a-Dakar-racer-me on the loose surfaces than the GSs I’ve owned or ridden.
03CD3B24-7947-402A-B641-89DFB6F824D5.jpeg
FD367D7A-056F-4964-8109-767CF3687829.jpeg

·
Registered
41 Posts
A brief but satisfying Mother’s Day morning ride out to Sauvie Island to take in the farmland, and bang down some lumpy gravel roads. The new suspension isn’t dialed in or broken in yet, but it’s a clear step forward. As it rides now, even without the suspension travel or big roomy cockpit or better tires, it’s more fun and easier for not-a-Dakar-racer-me on the loose surfaces than the GSs I’ve owned or ridden.
View attachment 131722 View attachment 131723
@gristle - I’m sure you mentioned what suspension you put in, but help a lazy dude out and please repeat what you’ve done.

I have all the cosmetic stuff done and have the suspension and shock to replace. I’m not in need of a 70mm lift provided by the Wilbers solution, but wouldn’t mind 40mm or possibly 50mm. - Guy

·
Registered
231 Posts
@gristle - I’m sure you mentioned what suspension you put in, but help a lazy dude out and please repeat what you’ve done.

I have all the cosmetic stuff done and have the suspension and shock to replace. I’m not in need of a 70mm lift provided by the Wilbers solution, but wouldn’t mind 40mm or possibly 50mm. - Guy
I haven’t written up and posted anything specific yet as I’m still getting it sorted out. As I was doing research, I spoke at length with Ted Porter who owns and runs the BeemerShop and Matt (can’t remember last name), the tech in charge of calculations, at Racetech.

Forks:
Racetech emulators at 3 turns of valve preload and four bleed holes. I’m using stock springs and 15w oil. I need to adjust sag and may end up with somewhat lighter springs. Also tweaking oil level.

Cartridges are preferable, but I just don’t want to spend that kind of money. I wouldn’t mind a bit more length, but then we’re talking real money.

Shock:
TFX 140 with an extra +15mm of height. I considered going higher and, if I did it all over again, I would go a little higher. Wilbers did the work on height and they seem to put the upper limit on the rear at +30mm before you have to look at raising the front. I may opt for the next lighter spring but I’m going to let this one break in a bit first.

Ted likes TFX at this price point over the competitors. While I can’t claim to have done a side by side comparison on this bike, I already like it over most of the shocks I’ve put on some other bikes.

-
As it sits right now, it definitely isn’t Buick plush, but it’s more composed and, importantly, hard and fast impacts, so far, no longer unsettle the bike and punish the rider. My goal is to make the bike more user friendly and more flexible. FWIW, I’m 5’11” and about 190 lbs on a good day.

So far, I’m under $900 invested in these upgrades.

2121 - 2140 of 2169 Posts