BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
2621 - 2640 of 2679 Posts

·
Registered
2021 BMW R NineT Scrambler
166 Posts
Well, Bean and I have bean.... at it again, this time we went up the California coast to a place called Usal Beach which is about 25 miles, (40km) above Fort Bragg CA. Total for the weekend, about 485 miles, (780km). Camped off a single track that was not for the light hearted, but Bean took it in stride without a complaint. Can't quite see it but through those trees and down about 1800ft, (548m) is the ocean. Had the sea singing her sweet song all to myself, all night long.

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Water
Tire Plant Wheel Plant community Vehicle

·
Registered
166 Posts
I forgot to share my warm up ride that I took with the Bean and my smarty pants son. Oh Bean you dirty girl you, don't ever stop....
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
166 Posts
The tent is a Haven hammock: Tents and although kind of pricey is really nice, at least when you put it together right.... Ole dummy me had the spreader bars in the wrong place when I first set it up. The hammock is a flat bottom style hammock, you don't banana in it, but because I had the spreaders in the bottom instead of the top it toco-ed me. I folded in half long ways instead of short ways...:rolleyes: This last trip I put it together correctly and slept like a baby. Me inside, bugs outside...

My tip is that this is a really nice set up, I have the XL version which is a bit wider at the shoulders and this is what I recommend unless your a girl or a kid, meaning not broad shouldered, meaning really good for a woman or small person. Man it's hard being politically correct these days....

It is not a light unit, however, so if your intent is to back pack it in you will be carrying a fair load, that is because it has a air mat, fly screen (bug net), tie downs, etc. I would also recommend getting the rechargeable air pump. Although the mat is packed with it's own manual inflation device, the pump make things so much easier and a bonus is that you can use it to charge your phone if you run out of juice. I did...life saver.

One more tip, the straps that come with it to tie it up are fine, however, I went to the local Home Depot, (hardware store on steroids) and bought some pull straps. I chose them over ratchet straps because I didn't want to over tighten the hammock. They also were 12ft. (3m) which give me a lot of distance if I need it between trees. If I really need a stretch I still can use the provided straps as well. In that one picture you can see how I used some climbing ******* to hang everything off the ground and then the water cover to put over Bean to keep the wet away.
Plant Branch Wood Tree Trunk
Wood Branch Trunk People in nature Twig

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow look at all those stars in my post....I was trying to refer to a Carabiner which is used in climbing but to lazy to look up the proper spelling and used the the name that climbing friends refer to them by and meant no harm or disrespect to anyone...Bean

Reactions: Leigh

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, Bean and I have bean.... at it again, this time we went up the California coast to a place called Usal Beach which is about 25 miles, (40km) above Fort Bragg CA. Total for the weekend, about 485 miles, (780km). Camped off a single track that was not for the light hearted, but Bean took it in stride without a complaint. Can't quite see it but through those trees and down about 1800ft, (548m) is the ocean. Had the sea singing her sweet song all to myself, all night long.

Your colour scheme needs my helmet. Shoei ex-zero.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Awesome tent set up by the way. Nice bike camo too. There’s a question about my tens tome where earlier. It’s a Wingman Of The Road - All-In-One motorcycle camping system.
Leigh, I saw your earlier post about the tent you use and it was a close contender until I found the Haven. I choose that hammock for a couple of reasons, 1. I am quite often up in bear country and I really don't want to wake up in the middle of the night to kick some bear butt.... or is that bare butt... 2. I have an aversion to creepy crawlers so it is nice to be up off the ground and make the little buggers work to get up to me...3. Since I don't bring my dog, I sleep alone, and all the swinging around with two would just make me seasick... 4. And last, if you noticed that bright yellow duffel bag, it holds all that I need for these trips which includes the Haven.

With the Haven I can tie up high enough that Bean is below me and protected from the elements by and large, however, since I have not needed the rain flap and since we like to go incognito, it makes Bean disappear into the woods, I use it as a cover once Bean has cooled off.

If I find a nice beach, like the one I think I saw you at in your post, I can tie the hammock up to a stick on one end and Bean on the other and have a nice place on the ground. Best of both worlds, at least until something else pops up.

Cheers mate...Bean
Oh and yes the helmet would go nicely with my ride and gear, good on ya...(y)

Reactions: Leigh

·
Registered
53 Posts
I meant the one that @Leigh posted that I pictured in my post. Cool hammock style tent though.
Thanks @GapRunr The Wingman Of The Road - All-In-One motorcycle camping system. is a really neat solution. 10kg is heavy but who cares when you have a steel horse. The old school scouts tent canvas quality, thick zips and all other rmaterials hark back to times gone by. It laughs at modern rip-stop nylon. I love sleeping with the door open, fly-net sealed and seeing the stars if I wake. Its easy and quick to put up and take down and surprisingly easy to pack away. I highly recommend it.

2621 - 2640 of 2679 Posts