BMW NineT Forum banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 BMW R NineT
6 Posts
After spending a few too many days held captive in Cincinatti by the USPS the R1 made it to me today. assuming this is NOT the usual remote HPA correct?
View attachment 132808
View attachment 132809

If not, how is this adjusted? Just with a nut driver? The OEM knob does not fit on there right?

I though the non-HPA used the traditional locking collars.
Nitron makes 2 variations of the HPA depending on application: the HP1 and the HP2. One is the remote knob with the hand dial, which (again depending on application, R1 vs R2, and customer spec) may or may not be clamped onto the shock reservoir, but which is always attached by a hose to the preload adjustment collar. The other is the one you received—the adjuster is on the collar itself.

Nitron has typically spec’ed the R9Ts with the remote preload adjuster; they spec’ed yours with the attached version. Whether this is by design (new information, trying to achieve compatibility with bikes that do/don’t have the charcoal canister) or by error (on part of Nitron when building or your distributor when ordering) is anyone’s guess. They all work the same, however, so provided you’re comfortable turning a hex socket you’ll be fine.

·
Administrator
11,645 Posts
I just posted a message but the above post made it largely redundant.

I guess you just need to check that this is indeed the shock you ordered and built to your weight etc. As to the HPA, if this new adjuster is simply another form of HPA then I guess it's up to you if you are happy with Nitron altering the spec without consultation, or is it possible that you had to specify the type of HPA you wished to have? If you didn't I would have thought Nitron should have asked you to clarify. If Nitron only supply this type of HPA now, then again if this is a variation of your order they should have asked if you were OK with it. IMO of course.

Reactions: Zanderk

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well, I have decided to keep what I have and install today. I have confirmed that this is a 'manual preload adjuster ring' (like a worm drive) and not hydraulic. That said, it works just fine and if better than a couple lock rings I think. a long 5/16", 1/4" drive socket, extension and handle makes it pretty managable to get to, and actually better than with a knob I think. Probably not any less convenient than the remote HPA. I'll only make changes when my wife rides with me so we'll see how much that needs. It's a pretty small overall range of adjustment it seems. 20mm in total I think. I'll set the sag and test ride tonight.

I did have to remove the Puig hugger as the stock would not come off with that in the way. It was not a fun wrestling match getting that paralever strut realigned, especially since I originally forgot to do that when I lowered it the first time! Got on, bouncing away, feeling all springy. Thank fully I noticed that because I remembered I had to install the rear caliper bolt. I was going to leave the hugger off for a while but I had little desire to do this another time if all checks out with the shock as I expect. My dumb a** move of the day (so far...).

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have now been told by sales that "I just rec’d an email from the engineering group- that is the new integrated HPA that you have on the shock." So, that is NOT a manual worm drive as I was originally told, but apparently the HP2 hydraulic unit as noted above.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have now been told by sales that "I just rec’d an email from the engineering group- that is the new integrated HPA that you have on the shock." So, that is NOT a manual worm drive as I was originally told, but apparently the HP2 hydraulic unit as noted above.
I told you so..:)

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Indeed you did! Interesting sales at Nitron USA tell me it's the "First one we’ve seen like that" so probably something we'll see more of.
Interestingly on the Nitron UK website, they only list the integrated adjuster for the 46mm shock, and for the scrambler, it is a 40mm shock. I ordered it via Fast Bike Industries 2 weeks ago and still have to receive it, however, if it is the integrated one, I will return it...

·
Premium Member
2019 BMW R NineT
6 Posts
Interestingly on the Nitron UK website, they only list the integrated adjuster for the 46mm shock, and for the scrambler, it is a 40mm shock. I ordered it via Fast Bike Industries 2 weeks ago and still have to receive it, however, if it is the integrated one, I will return it...
I specified “HPA with reservoir clamp” when ordering my R2 through Fast Bike to ensure I’d get the hand knob HP1 and the appropriate metal clamp to mount the HPA to the shock reservoir as opposed to mounting to the frame. Still hasn’t arrived stateside (ordered May 8th), but I’m hopeful it will be as ordered.

I’d suggest you call Burch at FastBike on Monday and see if he can reach out to Nitron on your behalf to ensure you get exactly what you want on the first try.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Maybe clarify before they build or ship? Save the surprise?

Honestly, this is a fine system. Not sure if I'd like the mounted remote any more or less because once I settle on a happy place for me solo, I'll then find some happy place two up and it will simply be the same set turn count up and down after that as needed. Not hard at all and really tidy at the shock itself.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I bought it too at FastBike, Nitron USA website takes forever to load, and they were 50.- more expensive ;-)
Interesting. Even after the exchange rate and international shipping?

Nitron USA may offer an ADV Rider forum discount if you ask...

·
Premium Member
2019 BMW R NineT
6 Posts
Curious why you didn't order through Nitron USA?
FastBike is the official US distributor; I'm not certain, but it wouldn't surprise me if when you email nitronusa you're actually reaching FastBike. Plus, because I ordered fork cartridge + shock + ohlins steering damper + a few other items from FBI, they gave me a discount (didn't have to ask for it; they automatically give it to you when you order front + rear at the same time).

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have spent tah last few days and rides working on some various front and rear suspension settings and think that I am both beginning to understand what I have and close to a place I can be happy with. IN fact if thinks got no better than a couple combined settings I already have A-listed I'd be OK. For the record I have S1000RR stock front forks, new (recently changed and low mileage new style BMW fork oil) and a Nitron R1 rear with HPA. At my weight, around 250# I am no lightweight so the rear was sprung accordingly, with the accommodation for an additional passenger up to 150#, built with an 1100# spring. Most of my previous concerns were that I was too heavy for what I had. Both have now eliminated those concerns and I actually have a lot of room to add preload on both ends and I am at the low to mid ranges to attain proper sag values. Tire pressures are 36/36

So the current quest is to try to smooth out one last area. And that's teh sudden and jarring road malformations that we call frost heaves here in the northeast USA. Sometimes solo and more often in rythmic succession. The front seems to roll these pretty well then teh rear will buck. The Nitron is better that the stock but is still jarring and can lift you from the seat if you don't anticipate one.

What suspension adjustment would best help in easing these? I am about 12 clicks back from full plus on the rebound/compression damping combo dial. It arrived at 10.

·
Premium Member
2019 BMW R NineT
6 Posts
Spent Tuesday night installing my R2 w/ HPA and TVT25 fork cartridges (and an Ohlins steering damper, but that's another thread!).

Install took about 4 hours, 2 of them "active," though I was moving at an extremely leisurely pace and let the forks completely drain even though the oil inside was essentially brand new (750 miles on the bike). Having taken it on two rides, both on freeway and through the canyons, I can say without reservation that the changes have completely transformed the bike. The biggest things I notice are just how much faster the bike wants to tip into corners (even with the steering damper at its stiffest setting), how easy it is to flick back and forth, how much more stably and confidently the bike handles at high speed, and how much the rear has stabilized the bike and improved grip. Additionally, the bike feels much faster, likely because less energy is wasted by suspension compression/extension.

The best part about it from a practicality perspective is that I'm now able to ride the bike for more than 30 mins without starting to fatigue in the saddle, which was the case on the stock stuff. The suspension dampens just about everything while still communicating the texture of the road surface in the most pleasurable way. You suffer no shocks or jolts, but can feel in your hands and seat exactly what the road is doing. Like others have said: the best suspension is the one you don't have to think about. This is it.

I definitely have some tuning to do; at Nitron's suggested settings the compression damping is a touch too firm for my liking (I only get about 20mm of rider-on sag in the rear, and the front seems to "ride high"). That said, I doubt their recommendations are more than a "click" or two off from perfect, and I'd imagine that the stiffness I perceive is simply caused by the fact that the suspension needs a few more rides to fully settle in.

I can't recommend this upgrade enough. The quality is apparent the second you open the box, and the fact that Nitron valves everything for the weight and use case of the rider gives the suspension an extremely bespoke feel.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Anyone else getting a squishing noise from the cartridges? It's not a biggie - only really noticeable when travelling across a sleeping policeman, but it's quite pronounced, especially when the pos oem's were silent.

(still think the upgrade's great though)

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
571 Posts
Not the same cartridges.. but I got the same noise when I installed my Andreanni cartridges.
Suspension guy who tuned my setup said it was normal.
Likely same for you.

121 - 140 of 163 Posts