BMW NineT Forum banner

141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Finally received my custom Nitron R2 shock from FBI....easy install but have not yet taken a spin at 104deg (42C) out there...
However, the setup with the remote knob for the preload is great and fits perfectly. I am able to quickly adjust preload when taking a passenger, or for other reasons without any tools, right at the left side. I hope the ride improvement is a similar good experience.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Anyone on the fence about replacing the factory suspension....just went on my first ride, and dear God what a difference. It's like stepping onto a new bike altogether. Gone are the teeth and jawbreaking rattles and bumps, so compliment, did not think it would make such a huge difference. With all the mods done...easily the best and most rewarding one...

·
Registered
2015 Classic
47 Posts
Just got back from my first ride after raising the ride height to the max on my Nitron. I did it to get some more ground clearance as it was decking out too easily- and this has definitely helped - but the adjustment feels like it’s improved the ride and handling more generally. It feels a bit ‘pointier’ and somehow the suspension - both front and rear - feel more settled and working together better. I have the Andreani fork internals like many others on the forum, but they’ve never felt better than they do now. Well worth trying and easy to do.

·
Registered
2015 Classic
47 Posts
(y) Congratulations. Essential modification on the 9T! Looks like you have some nice roads to enjoy it on

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Racer
199 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
How hard was it installing the front cartridges ? Did you need any special tools ?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
I can’t say for sure…

At the time I ordered, at least in the states, it seemed as if Nitron wasn’t willing to sell cartridge kits directly to consumers. So I went with a professional installer, who did mention needing to remove the “oil lock,” which I gather involved cutting a flange or lip off the end of the tubes. Not a big deal for them, who do it every day, but perhaps enough to justify Nitron not wanting rank amateurs to mess around with it.

Having said all this, I see full instructions are now posted on the Nitron USA website! Check it out: https://www.nitronusa.com/files/Nitron_TVT22_Installation_Manual_A.pdf .

If I’d had that document I might’ve attempted it myself, but as it was I was happy to let the professionals do it, for only 200 USD more, plus shipping my forks across the country (slightly nerve-rattling, with COVID wreaking havoc, but everything turned out fine).

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just called Darren at MCT about doing my R9t. He did my Diavel with huge results back in 2011, re valved the standard forks while correcting a Ducati factory assembly issue with a damper rod plus spring swap and set up on the rear Ohlins i had fitted plus full set up for me.
Getting mine booked in for the fork re work and re valve etc and a a rear Nitron shock built to weight and riding style.
I can't keep it like it is, absolutely love the bike, the looks, the motor and the sound with Zard can but all spoilt by the rubbish ride it gives for a £12k bike is ridiculous, my £2k work Hornet was better with 40000 miles on the original suspension!
I'll see out summer on it then get it done when he's not as busy as working on a 2-3 month waiting list!

·
Registered
2015 Classic
47 Posts
Worth thinking about ride height when you get the Nitron installed. The lower half needs to be out to change it. I maxed out the height and much preferred that setting - would have gone further if possible.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Worth thinking about ride height when you get the Nitron installed. The lower half needs to be out to change it. I maxed out the height and much preferred that setting - would have gone further if possible.
Not sure about the reference to “lower half” (with respect to bikes, anyway), but...

In case it’s helpful, both the upper and lower clevis on my R2 are adjustable for length - even though the manual only shows the lower one being adjusted (and of course it would be easier to get to the lower end of the shock and perhaps screw out the lower clevis without removing the shock from the bike).

But if you don’t mind taking the whole shock out again, and if yours is like mine, with an adjustable clevis both top and bottom, then you might be able to gain a little extra length. (Again, still talking about bikes here...)

This might have been obvious and maybe you’ve already tried it, but just thought I’d mention it in case it could help.

·
Registered
2015 Classic
47 Posts
Yep, loose language on my part Cereal, the lower clevis would have been more accurate. Good suggestion, but having checked my Nitron only has adjustability for height at the bottom of the shock. I think i have the R1.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Yep, loose language on my part Cereal, the lower clevis would have been more accurate. Good suggestion, but having checked my Nitron only has adjustability for height at the bottom of the shock. I think i have the R1.
Ah, I see. So yours probably looks like this, then:

I wonder (especially since you’re in the UK) if it might be worth contacting Nitron, and maybe they would have a clevis with a longer shaft? Or if you sent the shock to them maybe they could perform some sort of trickery on the inside to make the whole shock longer?

Speculation, but perhaps worth a call or email...?

·
Registered
2015 Classic
47 Posts
Yep. Good thought but I bought it second hand (along with some Andreani fork internals) so not really an option to return it. Tbh I’m not sufficiently motivated (yet!) - the change has definitely improved ground clearance quite a bit and I don’t expect to take it on track very often. Interesting to know the higher spec models have more adjustability for height though.

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Scrambler Sport
4 Posts
Just spoke to Marc at Brooks Suspension, have ordered an R1 with the integrated Hydraulic Preload Adjuster. Could be a five week wait, so fingers crossed it goes well !! Looking forward to feeling the rear end rather than being bounced around.....

141 - 160 of 163 Posts