BMW NineT Forum banner

681 - 700 of 703 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Does anyone who has the BM-440 installed have the adjustable ride height clevis at the bottom?

I want to use this on my UGS rather than the BM-641, the overall length difference is only 6mm according to Öhlins and the height adjuster has a 10mm range so i was looking to do that.....
It won't work....
It's 6mm shorter in overall length, but it's also 6mm shorter in stroke, so if i could get the optional ride height adjustable clevis i would still have less travel than std, bugger. also the spring would need changing and apparently the valving too....
So the BM640 it will be then!

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
Any one have on there bike? Is worth it?
I have merged your post into this thread so as not to start a new discussion.
Unfortunately with the post being moved, your title heading has not been duplicated, so the post appears to lack pertinent information.

For members to offer advice, Lue Yang is asking about fitting Ohlins suspension to his Classic nineT.

I've advise Lue to read through this thread first, I'm sure he'll find a positive response to his question! :laugh2:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Nice...how's the ride now?
Thinking of pulling the plug on a new suspension now.
It's rides awesome. My lines are much straighter through the curves now. More like being on rails. Didn't even realize how much I was weaving before. I'm going way faster through the same turns with less effect. Low and high speed is more stable. Over all my riding feels much more confident. My bike is a totally different level now.

For just regular commuting and riding around within speed limits, I can still feel every little bump but it now feels more controlled like I don't have to prepare myself or sit up. Ohlins is a little stiffer then would like. But these are all things we talked about here so I kinda was expecting it. Been cold and rainy. Have only ridden one tank fill up since.

I definitely recommend upgrading the OEM suspension. Even if you are not looking for the race track suspension. For just cruising around town, round abouts , parking lots, etc the bike is much more confident and fun to ride.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The only difference between BM652 and BM650 is how you adjust the spring preload adjustment?
One is mechanical and the other one is hydraulic?
If I only need to setup the shock one time and Im done, the BM652 makes more sense right?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mr. Lee. With your new Ohlins suspension, did you manage to increse the height of the bike? By how much? Wilbers offers a year shock with +30mm height increase but I like Ohlins better. Regards!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Mr. Lee. With your new Ohlins suspension, did you manage to increse the height of the bike? By how much? Wilbers offers a year shock with +30mm height increase but I like Ohlins better. Regards!
Feels the same height, but i suppose it would be possible to reduce the pre load to lower the height. Downside might be your usable range will not be centered. When I was playing with the rear shock adjustments the rear height was changing from tipppy toes to flat footed when but is seated.

But you have to purchase the springs anyway. Maybe ask if they have shorter one. Sorry I keep saying lower/shorter by mistake. You are asking about longer.

Ohlins also make a rear with ride height adjustments. Mine does not have this. I don't know about an adjustable front height.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ohlins now offers a raised rear shock that lifts the bike 40-70mm higher than stock for the Scrambler/Urban GS. I just upgraded my Scrambler suspension and so far, the new rear shock is fantastic. I also had the forks done with another brand that apparently cannot be mentioned here but the forks are also extended 50mm. The two work flawlessly together. Talk about a great upgrade as the height of the bike and suspension travel is where I think the Scrambler and Urban GS should have been stock.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
I know of no suspension manufacturers that cannot be named on this forum. If you want to, go ahead, or if you are wary shoot me a PM to discuss in private.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I didn't mean that it couldn't be named on the forum but that it would cause this thread to be derailed as it was previously mentioned up above in this thread.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey 2Shoes that's really interesting and I'm considering the same upgrade for my UGS - I'll just go ahead and name the fork Cartridge - Andreani. I do have a question about the Ohlins shock though - as others have mentioned I think the only difference between the two offered at Unit Garage is that the one you got has the hydraulic preload adjuster and the other is mechanical - is that correct? Does the extra height one that you got give you more suspension travel, or is it the same travel spec as the standard ride height one, but is taller due to the hard part of the shock? Also by chance are you located in Canada? If you are I'm also wondering if you had to pay any duties. Thanks

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I'm new to the Ohlins world so apologies for my ignorance, but all of the posts in this thread refer to model numbers like BM650, BM652, etc. for the rear. This correlates to what is available on the Wunderlich site and others. But on Revzilla, the model I see them recommend for the rnineT is the STX46 (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ohlins-stx46-street-rear-shock-bmw-r-nine-t-pure-racer). I also don't see any reference to the "BM" model designations on the Ohlins site at all. It seems to correlate to Revzilla, where everything is either STX or TTX. Am I blind? Did they recently refresh their product line? Anyone have any experience with the STX46 on their nineT?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm new to the Ohlins world so apologies for my ignorance, but all of the posts in this thread refer to model numbers like BM650, BM652, etc. for the rear. This correlates to what is available on the Wunderlich site and others. But on Revzilla, the model I see them recommend for the rnineT is the STX46 (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ohlins-stx46-street-rear-shock-bmw-r-nine-t-pure-racer). I also don't see any reference to the "BM" model designations on the Ohlins site at all. It seems to correlate to Revzilla, where everything is either STX or TTX. Am I blind? Did they recently refresh their product line? Anyone have any experience with the STX46 on their nineT?
https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/motorcycle/bm-652--6186/

https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/motorcycle/bm-650--6131/

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, I might do some track days but nothing serious. Nice to hear a first hand account though! I first learned how important suspension is when I moved from my honda crf230f to the KTM 250 xc-w. Basically totally different bikes just due to the suspension. Once I had the KTM's set up for me it was another revelation, so I'm looking to do the same with the 9T.
I fitted the Ohlins cartridges with Ohlins springs and fluid. Massive improvement and gives comparable performance to buying Ohlins forks entire minus the aesthetics of Ohlins externals. Still, slap the Ohlins sticker on the fork leg and few people will know the difference. I also installed the Ohlins rear shock and steering damper. The forks no longer clunk all the time and handling is vastly improved so that the bike is on rails whatever the road surface. The steering damper change is I suspect more about looks although it is a significantly better engineered piece of kit over standard.

681 - 700 of 703 Posts