BMW NineT Forum banner

701 - 720 of 749 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is Accelerated Technologies in rural Ontario, north of Peterborough. They have a lot of racing experience but work on all bikes.
I have used Accelerated Technologies and John S is a respected expert in the field of suspension technology.

"four wheels good, two wheels better"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone upgraded an R Nine T to an Ohlins front and rear setup in Australia? How many Buckaroos is it gonna cost me? Took the bike into the twisties yesterday and felt it could do with the upgrade...

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello, euro3 euro4 probl, I have a NineT clasic from 2015, is it possible to adapt an Ohlins 2017 fork, what is the adaptation to do for the ABS wheel? I have a front wheel Kinéo 2017
Thank you

·
Registered
23 Posts
Preload changes ride height. It does not affect how firm or soft the suspension is, despite what it says in owners manuals or on the components themselves.
This is not quite correct. A longer spring produces a harder ride and a shorter spring produces a softer ride. This sounds counterintuitive, but is infact the way spring length / preload works. Rebound and compression damping changes the fluid dynamics in the tube/tubes, or simply the rate of compression or rebound in the shock

·
Registered
23 Posts
Meas
my rear shock came with the preload adjust let out all the way (the 8mm nut was rotated counterclockwise until max)

I was instructed to ride like this for a while before making preload changes but now I think i need to add some preload.

How do you measure how much preload to add and what have you guys found you like? do you count the revolutions of the adjustment nut?

i'm #170 and probably about #185 with gear.
Unladen sag can be measured on the rear with the help of a friend between two fixed points.ie the ground and a fixed point on the bike. Assistance to hold the bike upright when measuring sag at full load is mandatory. Check your bike / suspension spec for how much laden and unladen sag you should have.

·
Registered
367 Posts
What is the feeling or experience on the Ohlins NIX30 Street Cartridge Kit? I don't find much discussion and the pricing seems good relative to other cartridges.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
What is the feeling or experience on the Ohlins NIX30 Street Cartridge Kit? I don't find much discussion and the pricing seems good relative to other cartridges.
That would be nice, am interested as well. Just installed a BM652 rear and love it. No longer a bouncy bike, with kick in the butt feeling in irregular roads (I did try several adjustments). Rear now stays on track and is surprisingly compliant in irregular roads, bumps, while being very firm. It's really good stuff. Straight from the box, sag is spot on: R1-R3 = 40mm.

It would be nice if the NIX30 does something similar to the front shocks, particularly removing the very pronounced nosedive on braking as well as the harshness in irregular roads.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Has anyone upgraded an R Nine T to an Ohlins front and rear setup in Australia? How many Buckaroos is it gonna cost me? Took the bike into the twisties yesterday and felt it could do with the upgrade...
Call Joe at Ride Dynamics, at Yatala. He did a full upgrade on my last (Yamaha) bike using K-Tech components - chalk and cheese to OE. He tells me that he does a lot of work on and with Ohlins gear - I hope so, for my new-to-me R9T, arriving here on Jan 20th, has a full top-spec Ohlins set-up front and rear. Joe is an expert, an easy guy to get on with, and I have found him 100% trustworthy and reliable, only wanting to deliver the goods to his clients.

Lawrence WATSON - Redland Bay

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi, how much leeway is there in the weight ratings for the forks? I am in about 250# and have an opportunity at a full, low mileage fork kit (FGRT 261 I believe)at a decent price sprung for 215#.

·
Registered
367 Posts
And, is swapping a fork spring a fairly straightforward matter of pulling the cap, pulling the spring and replacing teh cap that can be done with the tubes on the bike or would they have to come off?

·
Registered
BMW R9T Pure, Ducati Monster S2R1000, Yamaha XSR900
9 Posts
Sorry if this has been talked about already but I can’t find it anywhere. Can anyone tell me precisely how the hydraulic pre-load adjustment works on the Öhlins BM650 rear shock? I see the little nut that I assume you turn, but the mechanics look a little more completed than that. For the life of me I can’t find a diagram or video online anywhere. Thx!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry if this has been talked about already but I can’t find it anywhere. Can anyone tell me precisely how the hydraulic pre-load adjustment works on the Öhlins BM650 rear shock? I see the little nut that I assume you turn, but the mechanics look a little more completed than that. For the life of me I can’t find a diagram or video online anywhere. Thx!
When you turn the 8mm silver nut clockwise it simply moves a plate that pushes the fluid down against the platform and compresses the spring.

·
Registered
BMW R9T Pure, Ducati Monster S2R1000, Yamaha XSR900
9 Posts
When you turn the 8mm silver nut clockwise it simply moves a plate that pushes the fluid down against the platform and compresses the spring.
Cool. That’s exactly the description I was hoping for. Thx.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just installed the BM 650 and Ohlins front fork cartridges on my R9T/5. I had this installed and set up for me last Thursday at MRP suspension shop in Pasadena Maryland. It was all tuned to my specific weight and sag was set with me sitting on the bike. I have ridden about 150 miles since set up. Its amazing how well planted the R9T is now. Really instils more confidence when hitting bumps in the road on corners.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Heads up: 15% off Ohlins and free shipping right now at Wunderlich America.

I almost bought the BM640 and Nix cartridge kit for my Scrambler last night but randomly held off as I was tired and wanted to make sure I ordered the right thing.

Went back today and saved over $300 with the sale discount! Then the Scrambler is done, lol.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Seems liek a good time to consider and looks like som limited options for my 2015.

Any thoughts on the BM489, Blackline Street S46 shock, compared to stock?

BM440?

Are the NIX cartridges difficult to install for the average garage mechanic?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looking at a new rear shock for my 2019 classic - my needs are SUPER simple, I want something that doesn't kick my butt on bumpy mountain roads here in the Santa Cruz mountains. This 15% off of Ohlins really has caught my eye but I'm fully unable to pick which is best for me so I'm hoping for some options, here are my details:

165 pounds in street clothes
90%+ time just solo riding
Not an agressive rider at all - generally last to roll in on group rides
Will likely add on a side bag
On rare occasions may have a passenger
Possible light touring once or twice a year

So - thoughts on what to get? I am watching $ but would want to spend the right money ONCE and not be bummed that I 'should' have got this or that option.

Thanks all,
Hans

701 - 720 of 749 Posts