BMW NineT Forum banner

741 - 757 of 757 Posts

·
Registered
2020' R nineT Pure
7 Posts
To those who installed the Ohlins cartridge inserts on the telescopic forks. Did you do it by yourself or took help from a professional? I bought the nix 22 cartridge inserts but looking for instructions to do it myself on 2020 pure ( my skill level is only upto changing engine oils and mounting bar risers) so I am a bit skeptical to begin a DIY attempt on the forks until I know what to am doing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
To those who installed the Ohlins cartridge inserts on the telescopic forks. Did you do it by yourself or took help from a professional? I bought the nix 22 cartridge inserts but looking for instructions to do it myself on 2020 pure ( my skill level is only upto changing engine oils and mounting bar risers) so I am a bit skeptical to begin a DIY attempt on the forks until I know what to am doing.
I had them installed and tuned to my weight at a shop that does race bike suspension.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Posting back again after setting sag and putting a few hundred miles on the new shock. I feel more in control and the bike feels safer overall. Like substantially. The bike is absolutely amazing now. In love with the shock, it was in fact totally worth it.

Fork cartridges on back order until June so those will have to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
The BM640 has a preload adjuster that requires a hex to turn whereby it adjusts the preload, for me that expense is pointless because you still need to carry or find a tool to adjust your preload, save your cash and buy the BM641 which uses locking collars and they supply a C spanner with the shock. It's another reason i went with the Nitron gear as they offer a hydraulic preload adjuster which i prefer for convenience.
I disagree about saving cash and getting the 641. Adjusting the preload on the 640 with the 8mm hex - which then turns the hydraulic preload adjuster on the shock for you extremely easily - is effortless and quick compared to adjusting the the locking collar and adjustment ring on the 641 with a C spanner.

Also the preload adjuster is threaded on the 640 so you could put a knob on it if you want to adjust it by hand. Doesn't get easier than that.

I have a 5 inch long 8mm nut driver for the rare times I want to adjust the 640 on the fly, easy to drop in my pocket when needed. Also the 640 is easy to adjust even with the bike on the ground due to the hydraulic adjuster. Adding preload with c-spanners is much tougher with the bike on the ground.

·
Registered
2019, BMW R Nine t Scrambler
12 Posts
Ohlins now offers a raised rear shock that lifts the bike 40-70mm higher than stock for the Scrambler/Urban GS. I just upgraded my Scrambler suspension and so far, the new rear shock is fantastic

Hi 2Shoes, in your pics what´s the height of your shock? 40mm?
thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi 2Shoes, in your pics what´s the height of your shock? 40mm?
thanks
Yes, the rear shock is the 40mm raised, the front fork inserts are 50mm. It made a huge difference. I think if I could go back and do it all over again, I would prefer to have a 20-25mm raised suspension over the 50mm. It's a bit tall now, just takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
2018 BMW Urban GS
15 Posts
I've seen a lot of different images of Ohlins shocks across a few online shops.

Is it safe to say all BM640 Ohlins rear shocks are the same part? Unit garage's BM640 and Wunderlich's BM640 look like two different shock or maybe thats just aesthetics with different color springs?

I ordered the BM640 off Wunderlich and see Unit has a different looking product. Is there also a difference between the blackline model range?

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 10.45.14 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 10.45.01 AM.png

·
Registered
2019, BMW R Nine t Scrambler
12 Posts
Hi guys, I red a lot of thread but I didn´t find a solution...
Anyone installed a rear shock (ohlins) on a scrambler, WITH Piggyback reservoir, obviously removing the canister?
At the and of the day I´m looking at BM640 but with Piggyback reservoir. I already spoken with Italian distributor and they told me that the only possible way is to try to instal an external reservoir with pipe and make a test. Any of you already did that?
Please help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got off the phone with Dan Kyle @ Kyle Racing - Roadracing Motorcycle Suspension , my go to guy for all things Ohlins. I'm sending in the shocks off the 1200R to get rebuilt and figured I'd get as much info for all of us while I was chatting with him.

He informed me that new part numbers and info on Ohlins shock just came to him today - shock, cartridge kits and forks made specifically for the NineT are coming soon.

The shock is part # BM440 and he will be selling them for $990, sprung for your weight. The code for what the shock includes is this:
S46 = 46mm piston
P = piggyback reservoir
R1 = Rebound, low speed adjustment
C1 = Compression, low speed adjustment
B = Integrated preload adjustment

He will also have NineT specific Ohlins NIX fork cartridge kits, part # FGK231 with springs for $1200 plus shipping to and from him. Compression, rebound, and preload adjustable.

There will also be a complete Ohlins forks kit in all black, part # FGRT216 from him for $2150 plus shipping to you. Compression, rebound, and preload adjustable.
Black forks.... YES! :D

So who's going to upgrade their suspension?
By next year I will have put enough miles on the bike to justify Ohlins all around, if you are outside of the "normal" rider weight the bike comes with, you now have options to get the most out of the handling of your bike. :D
I did ask him if he could replace the OEM shock with a different spring, without having one in hand he couldn't answer.

I installed the BM-650 rear and NIX front cartridges to match my weight of 250lbs.
A huge improvement over BMW stock crap.

·
Registered
Urban G/S
17 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation of where to buy an Ohlins rear shock on-line in the UK? I have seen a few eBay adds which seem to be mostly shipped from Italy and i'm not sure they are going to be set up correctly for rider weight and riding style etc.
Although I would prefer an Ohlins as I have experience with them and had them on previous bikes I may end up ordering a Wilbers as the website appears to be asking the right questions about rider weight and intended use.
Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just got back from the first ride with the Ohlins Nix cartridges finally fitted. I previously (a few months ago) installed the 640 rear shock and that was a huge improvement to the bike. Adding the cartridges removed the brake dive and stabilized the suspension significantly, especially at speeds above 75mph. It is super stable now, not too firm or jarring but just right. I would highly recommend the full Ohlins setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation of where to buy an Ohlins rear shock on-line in the UK?
I got both Ohlins rear shock and forks from Darren at MCT Suspension in Stowmarket, Suffolk.

Hope that helps @The Hack

Reactions: The Hack

·
Registered
Urban G/S
17 Posts
I got both Ohlins rear shock and forks from Darren at MCT Suspension in Stowmarket, Suffolk.

Hope that helps @The Hack
Thanks for the recommendation (y)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
You are very welcome Sir.

Darren is a very helpful bloke, and very generous in offering his time to explain things fully so you can make an informed decision before you purchase, to fully make sure you are getting the right kit that is suitable to your needs or requirements.

Reactions: The Hack

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's rides awesome. My lines are much straighter through the curves now. More like being on rails. Didn't even realize how much I was weaving before. I'm going way faster through the same turns with less effect. Low and high speed is more stable. Over all my riding feels much more confident. My bike is a totally different level now.

For just regular commuting and riding around within speed limits, I can still feel every little bump but it now feels more controlled like I don't have to prepare myself or sit up. Ohlins is a little stiffer then would like. But these are all things we talked about here so I kinda was expecting it. Been cold and rainy. Have only ridden one tank fill up since.

I definitely recommend upgrading the OEM suspension. Even if you are not looking for the race track suspension. For just cruising around town, round abouts , parking lots, etc the bike is much more confident and fun to ride.
I'm looking at getting the BM 440 with Spring 57/150/140 Black( 21115-54B) which I believe will be similar to 01093-54Y. I'm approx 140-145lbs (150-155lbs with full gear and a laptop). Was the 140 spring rate the right choice? Would you know if you'll need to add additional spacers/ washers for the rear for it to fit so that the height is similar to the standard factory installed springs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I fitted the Ohlins cartridges with Ohlins springs and fluid. Massive improvement and gives comparable performance to buying Ohlins forks entire minus the aesthetics of Ohlins externals. Still, slap the Ohlins sticker on the fork leg and few people will know the difference. I also installed the Ohlins rear shock and steering damper. The forks no longer clunk all the time and handling is vastly improved so that the bike is on rails whatever the road surface. The steering damper change is I suspect more about looks although it is a significantly better engineered piece of kit over standard.
Hi, I'm looking to purchase NIX 30 Ohlins inserts (FKS 505) with spring (08790-90). Would you know if this is simple replace or will I need to purchase new original BMW seals, o-rings, dowells, and gaskets in case my local suspension mechanic messes up while taking apart my standard inverted suspension forks. I have a 2017 manufactured r NineT Classic? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
61 Posts
2Shoes, with the bike raised 40mm/50mm are you experiencing and side stand issues?

I'm ready to make the upgrade and was wondering if there were any ancillary issue to know about.

741 - 757 of 757 Posts