BMW NineT Forum banner

781 - 794 of 794 Posts

·
Registered
2019 BMW R NINET
25 Posts
I have a RnineT 2019, and I will upgrade my rear shock with the ohlins BM440. I have already remove the canister yesterday.

I want to go with the shock on black and the little reservoir on gold, does anyone know how to choose this on the ohlins website? I only see the yellow and gold...

thank You

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone installed the unit garage 43 retro fork kit? Mine arrived today but something doesn't feel right: the fork clamps on only one side of the axle. The other side clamps on a threaded spacer. That's all good but the axle threads in the spacer without locking in any way. In every bike i've had the threaded axle locked in the leg it screws into.
I was thinking in adding a screw like the one in red from dk design. Their axle has the same design but with the added end screw.
Capture.PNG 1611672692054.JPEG
I got a response from them saying that it will be solid after I clamp everything. I know it won't feel loose but still under load with speed and potholes all the stress will be applied at first on clamp connected to the axle. Am I overthinking this?

·
Premium Member
2018 R Nine T Pure
109 Posts
Has anyone installed the unit garage 43 retro fork kit? Mine arrived today but something doesn't feel right: the fork clamps on only one side of the axle. The other side clamps on a threaded spacer. That's all good but the axle threads in the spacer without locking in any way. In every bike i've had the threaded axle locked in the leg it screws into.
I was thinking in adding a screw like the one in red from dk design. Their axle has the same design but with the added end screw.
View attachment 139950 View attachment 139951
I got a response from them saying that it will be solid after I clamp everything. I know it won't feel loose but still under load with speed and potholes all the stress will be applied at first on clamp connected to the axle. Am I overthinking this?
@usercalin
do you have any other pictures to better describe the issue?

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
273 Posts
I am in the process of installing the cartridge kit FKS505 in my 2018. BMW recommends changing the oil of the stock forks every 30,000km but Öhlins doesn't recommend anything. It does have this weird statement at the end of the manual:

"Service Intervals
This product is designed for racing use only. Service and maintenance is recommended every 10 hours."

Racing only, a street bike kit? And every 10 hours is fine for a race bike certainly not for a street bike and they don't even say what it would be.

So, does anyone have a definitive word on this, i.e., how frequently should the Öhlins 01309 oil be changed from the BMW/ZF tubes with Öhlins FKS505?

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
273 Posts
I have a RnineT 2019, and I will upgrade my rear shock with the ohlins BM440. I have already remove the canister yesterday.

I want to go with the shock on black and the little reservoir on gold, does anyone know how to choose this on the ohlins website? I only see the yellow and gold...

thank You
Olá,

That's not possible, they sell the BM440, all gold and the BM490 Blackline, full black.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
273 Posts
After the fork conversion to Öhlins FKS505 cartridges, and already having a BM652 in the rear of my Classic 2018, I used the Öhlins iPhone app to tune in the suspension to the suggested 40mm front and back sag. Rebound and compression also set at the recommended middle ground values, 12 clicks in the front reb+comp and 16 clicks at the rear.

Anybody who has a similar setup, what settings are you currently running?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I finally installed a BM440 and the FKS kit on my bike. I can't get my rear shock preload equal to the front. All the preload is dialed out and the rear shock sits at 30 mm vs. the front's 40 mm. Can that hydraulic perch we moved and if I move it 10 mm, will there be enough preload on the spring to keep it properly seated?

The spring rates are probably spot on. The static sag vs. with me on it changes by just about the exact amount Ohlins recommends. The rear needs less preload. Thanks.

781 - 794 of 794 Posts