BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW has achieved something special with the RnineT Urban G/S. The styling cues from grandpa R80 GS are masterful: tank graphics, red seat, fork gaiters, headlight cowl, street knobbier, etc. They have created an absolutely beautiful reinterpretation of this classic. I just sold a 2016 GSA to purchase an Urban. When I saw it on the showroom floor, it was lust at first sight. Sometimes I will park it in my driveway, crack open a good IPA and just stare at it. Not only is it beautiful, it is a blast to ride. Balanced riding position and a good ole oil head that will pull from way down low. No problem skipping a few gears if you want to, that beautiful old engine will just lug it on out. At first I missed the gear indicator and tach, but then I realized what a sissy I was being. This bike is old school cool. If you want a no frills classic that is beautiful and fun to ride, this is the bike.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I bought my Scrambler in September '16, the first one my dealer got in. I probably would have bought the GS if it had been sitting right along side, but it came a year later. BMW got these bikes almost perfect. My only issue is the suspension could be better. I upgreaded to the ÖHLINS, well worth it. I also added the tach kit, which includes the gear indicator. It's super simple if you want to do it yourself. The 2nd gauge changes the look from pure retro to a bit more current, but nothing like many new models with a video game dash layout.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Totally agree with the statements about the UGS – I love this bike!

It offers everything my R1200Rs did/do, but with more ground clearance and a lighter front-end that provides the well-appreciated feedback I've missed with Telelever Boxers.

Same wonderful fourth (?) generation oilhead boxer with a fantastic brrraaappp (exhaust note from the original pipe).

I dialed down the pre-load on the rear and my butt is much happier (when sitting). Next up are a set of lowered, wider enduro footpegs to make my standing position more comfortable.

Honestly, I'm considering selling all my other Beemers and buying another one.

I have no real complaints...it's literally the bike I've been wanting for years.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Totally agree with the statements about the UGS – I love this bike!
I dialed down the pre-load on the rear and my butt is much happier (when sitting). Next up are a set of lowered, wider enduro footpegs to make my standing position more comfortable.
I bought the SW Motech Ion footpegs and love them. They're lower if you leave off the rubber cap. They are high quality and have good grip with your boots, without wearing the sole. And the bike doesn't vibrate so the ribber pad isn't needed anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
SW-Motech pegs

I bought the SW Motech Ion footpegs and love them. They're lower if you leave off the rubber cap. They are high quality and have good grip with your boots, without wearing the sole. And the bike doesn't vibrate so the ribber pad isn't needed anyway.
Thanks. I will probably go with the Touratech pegs. I have them on a 2007 GS and really liked them. I'm biased toward simple. And they're single-piece like the stock pegs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fully agree with you in all points. Love the bike and I also sometimes grab a cold one and just look at the bike.....just need to figure out how to get this crazy engineered headlight ring out.....stay safe

·
Registered
151 Posts
Headlight ring

Fully agree with you in all points. Love the bike and I also sometimes grab a cold one and just look at the bike.....just need to figure out how to get this crazy engineered headlight ring out.....stay safe
I wrote you an answer in your post about the headlight ring.

·
Registered
16 Posts
G'Day,

I agree it is something special.

I behave 1/2 my age on this thing. The sound alone makes me giggle like a girl, and I have only had it for two days. My trip to work includes a 5 km drive through a gorge with beautifully steep cliffs. The sound just echo's off them. This is bike is fantastic for the soul, at least for mine!!!

Pete

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought my Scrambler in September '16, the first one my dealer got in. I probably would have bought the GS if it had been sitting right along side, but it came a year later. BMW got these bikes almost perfect. My only issue is the suspension could be better. I upgreaded to the ÖHLINS, well worth it. I also added the tach kit, which includes the gear indicator. It's super simple if you want to do it yourself. The 2nd gauge changes the look from pure retro to a bit more current, but nothing like many new models with a video game dash layout.
Can you share more about your suspension upgrade? Did you do front and back? Which Ohlins exactly have you installed? THX

·
Registered
101 Posts
This one is particularly special!

Jokes aside, this bike is amazing. Easy to drive like a scooter, awesome engine and stunning look. And if you really want better suspensions, it's not a cheap upgrade, but also not astronomical.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
This one is particularly special!

Jokes aside, this bike is amazing. Easy to drive like a scooter, awesome engine and stunning look. And if you really want better suspensions, it's not a cheap upgrade, but also not astronomical
ALMOST PERFECT. Add some oversize aluminum panniers and you can get all geared up and go to Starbucks and park next to the UGS (and other) posers.

I doubt they'll understand...

·
Registered
101 Posts
1983: Rome (Italy) to Malaga (Spain) > Vespa P125 X
1987: Florence (Italy) to Amsterdam (the Netherlands) > BMW R100
1988: Tour of Corsica (France) and Sardinia (Italy)> BMW R80G/S
1990: Milan (Italy) to Rabat (Morocco) > BMW R80G/S
2001: Seattle, WA to Monument Valley, AZ > Vespa P200E
2003: Six Days ride in the Mojave Desert, CA > BMW R80G/S

Plus a couple more that I am sure I am forgetting.
Bottom line: I earned my freackin' rights to pose at Starbucks, if I feel like. On my way to the next adventure! :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't suppose do you remember the part number for the Touratech peg?

I've found 2 that look close, can you help?

044-5316
– These are for BMWs before water-cooled

045-5316 – These are for water-cooled GSs

I have purchased the first ones.

I will post pics when installed.

·
Registered
208 Posts

044-5316
– These are for BMWs before water-cooled

045-5316 – These are for water-cooled GSs

I have purchased the first ones.

I will post pics when installed.
Can't wait and thanks for sharing.

Interestingly enough when I spoke to Touratech, although he was extremely helpful, we couldn't definitively settle on which would be the best fit for the Nine T. 99% both will install, whether the angle will be correct or if any modification (grinding) would be required was questionable, I can deal with both. Also very interested in the drop from stock foot position as I'm trying to get set up for longer rides and chasing comfort mods. Can't bring myself to buy the Wunderlich drop kit when for less than their asking these drop and provide better foot control and comfort.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bought wrong!

Can't wait and thanks for sharing.

Interestingly enough when I spoke to Touratech, although he was extremely helpful, we couldn't definitively settle on which would be the best fit for the Nine T. 99% both will install, whether the angle will be correct or if any modification (grinding) would be required was questionable, I can deal with both. Also very interested in the drop from stock foot position as I'm trying to get set up for longer rides and chasing comfort mods. Can't bring myself to buy the Wunderlich drop kit when for less than their asking these drop and provide better foot control and comfort.
****! I bought the wrong ones... I checked the online parts catalog and the footpegs on the Urban Gs and Scrambler are the exact same ones from the water-cooled Gs and S1000XR.

Hopefully I can change my order before Touratech sends me the wrong ones.

I don''t know why I didn't check this before ordering.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts