BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been sitting on my stock suspension for long enough and finally decided to upgrade. My initial thoughts were between full Ohlins or a cartridge type setup.

Google searches brought me a lot on information on Wilbers and they seem to have a good reputation in the BMW community. I spent yesterday speaking with dealers who sold both Ohlins and Wilbers and most of the feedback I received was that Ohlins was a great product but (unless you are purchasing their latest Moto GP products) you are buying 15-year-old technology without the ability to adjust separate for low speed and high speed dampening.

That being said, the dealer I was working with who is well known in the ADV rider community, was not giving me the best price. I actually found the best price going directly through Wilber in Germany. I'm not sure how hard I will get hit on taxes but I placed my order today for:

Nightline Road front fork
Hyper-Race Steering dampener and bracket
Nightline Type 642+659 rear shock

Before any taxes I may get hit with, came out under $3k.

Below is their catalog but it doesn't show the bracket for the steering damper:

http://www.wilbers-bmw-racing.de/pdf_files/datenblaetter/katalog-rninet-versand.pdf

·
Administrator
11,646 Posts
Looking forward to how this turns out! Have been eyeing-up a Wilbers 640 rear shock for some time now.....

Reactions: RichardR9T

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Nice choice Mike, should be a great upgrade

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
So, I have been sitting on my stock suspension for long enough and finally decided to upgrade. My initial thoughts were between full Ohlins or a cartridge type setup.

Google searches brought me a lot on information on Wilbers and they seem to have a good reputation in the BMW community. I spent yesterday speaking with dealers who sold both Ohlins and Wilbers and most of the feedback I received was that Ohlins was a great product but (unless you are purchasing their latest Moto GP products) you are buying 15-year-old technology without the ability to adjust separate for low speed and high speed dampening.

That being said, the dealer I was working with who is well known in the ADV rider community, was not giving me the best price. I actually found the best price going directly through Wilber in Germany. I'm not sure how hard I will get hit on taxes but I placed my order today for:

Nightline Road front fork
Hyper-Race Steering dampener and bracket
Nightline Type 642+659 rear shock

Before any taxes I may get hit with, came out under $3k.

Below is their catalog but it doesn't show the bracket for the steering damper:

http://www.wilbers-bmw-racing.de/pdf_files/datenblaetter/katalog-rninet-versand.pdf
Nicely done sir! I know there is no shortage of Ohlins fanboys - but I think Wilbers is an excellent alternative. I've had Wilbers suspensions on previous boxers and was very happy. Looking forward to your pics/review.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hmm Wilber's steering damper seems like re-badge HyperPro damper that AC Schnitzer also uses.

Maybe it is cheaper to just buy off from HyperPro or ebay?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmm Wilber's steering damper seems like re-badge HyperPro damper that AC Schnitzer also uses.

Maybe it is cheaper to just buy off from HyperPro or ebay?

Perhaps it is. I know for this suspension kit Wilbers uses ZF internals. Not sure if they went with a different supplier for the steering damper. Either way, this way it all matches and doesn't look cobbled together. Besides, $250 is not a bad price.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Received my invoice yesterday which is in a mix of German and English. With shipping and what I understand to be customs charges.

Went into manufacturing with a three week lead time.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Interesting as my forks are currently being rebuilt and a bit OT, but the repairer says the fork bushings on the BMW forks are worn and require replacement already (8,000km). So BMW don't sell bushings, only complete new forks (typical!), however new bushings can be sourced from KYB.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Since I have nothing else to do during the CNY winter. I ordered a Wilber's shock in the Backline color (everything is black). Should be here in about a month or so. That was the final "tinkering" I had scheduled. Have downloaded some suspension set up articles looking forward to learning something new. Decided to go with Wilbers after having them on my GTL. Got it from The Beemer Shop.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome! Glad to see someone else take the plunge. Winter is the best time for upgrades. I always spend too much money over winter for lack of better distractions.

·
Administrator
11,646 Posts
I'm almost about to go for a custom 640 shock - nightline spec with golden yellow spring. Waiting for payday and also to see if my car is needing repaired as today it started making front driveshaft UJ-type noise when turning right hand corners....grrrrr

Seems like quality kit and more affordable than Ohlins.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, my order was delayed due to a manufacturing backlog for the front fork. They offered to ship me the rear but I would have to pay the custom's fee twice... so I will just have to learn patience.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a 642 installed and their fork springs.

Love it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have Wilbers 640 installed and for my experience it is the best solution in terms of price / money solution you can get. I am German and follow the market a bit. If you weight around 140 to 160 pounds i recommend to adjust only the rear suspension with Wilbers and it should work out perfectly. More weight ? O.k. than a different front suspension might be useful. But the biggest problem is the rear suspension, once this is solved you have a much better oversight if something else should be fixed.

Best regards,
André

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
So, my order was delayed due to a manufacturing backlog for the front fork. They offered to ship me the rear but I would have to pay the custom's fee twice... so I will just have to learn patience.
Patience? LOL ... my 9T has been disabled without forks for 4 weeks now as anodising shop misplaced them. Hopefully next week.

·
Administrator
11,646 Posts
I have Wilbers 640 installed and for my experience it is the best solution in terms of price / money solution you can get. I am German and follow the market a bit. If you weight around 140 to 160 pounds i recommend to adjust only the rear suspension with Wilbers and it should work out perfectly. More weight ? O.k. than a different front suspension might be useful. But the biggest problem is the rear suspension, once this is solved you have a much better oversight if something else should be fixed.

Best regards,
André
I'm far from an expert on these things, and to be honest suspension has always been a bit of a mystery to me. However that been said I have come to think that the rear shock is too highly sprung and adjusting the damping doesn't make a huge difference. The front end on the other hand seems more softly sprung, but better with bumps mid-corner whereas the rear isn't as composed and unsettles the bike during enthusiastic bend-swinging.

I reckon that a good first step is to change the rear which will hopefully balance the bike a bit more. The front end probably will still need done, but I'll wait and see how the rear shock works first.

Reactions: Dutch and Captain

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
I agree that the rear shock is more important and that is why I spared no expense on that. The front though leaves a lot to be desired as I am 200lbs plus gear.
Both are pretty bad, front more so IMO

Reactions: RichardR9T

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
I concur, I weigh circa 210lbs and the front was not up to the job! The rear shock was back breaking!
+1
And the OE front judders around corners.... Wilbers, Ohlins or Matris all a step up, just upgrade and be happy :D

1 - 20 of 316 Posts