BMW NineT Forum banner

261 - 280 of 316 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Hello,

quick question: did the seat to peg distance change as well? I sit a bit cramped on the standard bike (I am 6'6")

And nice Defender btw ;)
Thanks, no that is the same. But it opens for lower pegs without touching the surface :)

·
Read Only
61 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Mick,

Yeah will keep you posted. I was going to go the standard without Hydraulic reservoir - just not sure if it's worth the extra $$ as I won't be on track. In fact, I'm really leaning towards going with Ikon rear shocks (previously known as Koni) - they are made in Albury and are good quality, had some on my W800. More than anything I'm looking for a softer ride - re: front going to leave as is, I think steering is fine.

I'll keep you posted with Ikon progress

L
Hey Lukejet,
I know this was awhile ago but did you ever follow up on the IKON shocks?
I spoke to the IKON rep at the Bike Expo in Melbourne and he mentioned the unit available for the RnineT Classic, not sure if it had to be setup differently for the Scrambler. They had a good name in the past with KONI but I haven’t heard much of them since. Can the shock be adjusted to lift the seat height?
Am still favouring the Wilber at the moment.
Cheers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Adding some information concerning the Wilbers shock absorbers type 640.
I contacted Wilbers for some extra details which can come in handy on the forum.

Quoting:
- concerning the lift kit (+30mm): I suppose this will raise the seat height (or aft of the bike) with 30 mm? Correct? So the shock absorber will be only a couple of mm longer than the OEM shock?
Yes correct. We build the shock 12-13mm longer and because of the translation it will lift the rear 30mm.

- the extra height adjustment (+/- 5mm) can add or reduce to the previous 30mm lift kit. Do you know how much the seat height would change on a 2017 BMW R Nine T Scrambler when changing the shock from 0mm to +5mm? Is there any ratio to take in account?
Yes, the ratio/translation is 2,8.

- for the +/- 5mm height adjustment, this can be done with the shock positioned on the motorcycle or is it necessary to take it off?
The height adjustment can be adjusted when the shock is installed.

- when you say that the shock absorber will come adjusted and made for my weight and application, I can just install it and drive as per the conditions I gave when ordering? I only would need to change the settings when changing the driving conditions?
Yes, correct. Before we built the shock, our technician make a build list and all the settings also the spring and damping are on the list. So yes, you only have to build in the shock. :)

·
Administrator
11,645 Posts
I've ridden a few hundred miles on the Wilbers shock and forks. It is simply awesome and a markedly better riding experience. Loving the triple black forks, too.
Looks great! Good suspension really transforms the bike's handling and ride.

Reactions: tehrlich

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've asked this question on the Wunderlich stand thread but I though I'd try and call upon the collective wisdom here as well.
I'm currently toying with the idea of fitting a Wilbers 640 rear shock with 15mm lift to replace the OEM shock.
The slight sticking point is that I already have fitted a Wunderlich main stand which I know isn't everyones cup of tea but I find really useful. Now I've read somewhere that anything over 1" lift means that both wheels will touch the ground when the bike is on the main stand. I've measured the gap between the ground and the bottom of the rear tyre with the bike on the stand and there seems to be plenty of 'air'.
My concern is the narrow gap between the underside of the swing arm and the top of the stand 'brace bar' which will presumably become even narrower or worse still they touch if a longer rear shock is fitted. One suggestion is to invert to brace bar but there is then the possibility that it will foul the stand spring. Has anyone fitted a longer shock and also the Wunderlich main stand that could put my mind at ease please?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey, does anyone know what is the real lenght and stroke of the forks offered by Wilbers in the +70mm set, also, how much the rear shock is longer than the standard one ?
Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Now answered my own question - is a 15mm lift Wilburs shock compatible with the Wunderlich main stand?
Answer, yes it is.
Clearance for the rear wheel is reduced slightly but the bonus feature is that the bike is considerably easier to lift onto the main stand now - something I know some people have struggled with.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree that the rear shock is more important and that is why I spared no expense on that. The front though leaves a lot to be desired as I am 200lbs plus gear.
At 235Ibs + gear I wonder what my best options should be. Been thinking about the Wilbers upgrade, but knowing next to nothing about suspensions I'm still in the education mode.

·
Administrator
11,645 Posts
At 235Ibs + gear I wonder what my best options should be. Been thinking about the Wilbers upgrade, but knowing next to nothing about suspensions I'm still in the education mode.
The question I would ask is are you happy with how the bike handles and rides at present with the stoick suspension? Some folk are quite happy leaving things alone as the factory stuff feels fine to them. Wish I was amongst them, I'd have saved loads of cash! LOL :)

If you feel that the bike isn't behaving the way you want on the road then certainly you need to start tweaking things...

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
I’d be close to that with all my gear on, I love the Wilbers upgrade I did (rear shock, front cartridge). I hated the OEM suspension, but I hear it has got somewhat better since the 2016 classic I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
The question I would ask is are you happy with how the bike handles and rides at present with the stoick suspension? Some folk are quite happy leaving things alone as the factory stuff feels fine to them. Wish I was amongst them, I'd have saved loads of cash! LOL :)

If you feel that the bike isn't behaving the way you want on the road then certainly you need to start tweaking things...
Hi ,
im new here and have only had my 2018 Classic a week but the suspension is doing my head in and I’d appreciate some advice. I’ve trawled the site and can’t find a lot of suspension info for lighter Riders.... I weigh about 70kg with gear on so the oem rear shock is very stiff for me no matter how I set it. I live in New Zealand and the roads are pretty lumpy apart from highways . I ride occasionally spirited but for the most part just normal weekend riding. I contacted Wilbers and told them my dilemma and they recommended the 642 . I really don’t want to be constantly tweaking my ride so I was originally looking at the 640. Better price as our exchange rate to the Euro is basically a woeful half and also simpler adjustment operation. I had hoped that would sort out my issues.
I’d like to know if others of similar weight to me have opted for the 640 and been happy with that choice.
I have ridden my mates R9T Scrambler and the suspension feels super plush to me, then I get back on
to my teeth chattering ride....
Id appreciate any feedback.

·
Administrator
11,645 Posts
Wilbers will be able to fit a spring that will reflect your riding style plus weight. That was part of the on-line ordering process when I ordered the 642 shock.

Reactions: IceT
261 - 280 of 316 Posts