BMW NineT Forum banner

241 - 260 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought the Pure with cast wheels. Not the greatest looking wheel, but at least it's tubeless. My only issues with the bike are;

1. The rear suspension, it does a shocking job of keeping the rear connected when using the rear brake, it starts skipping and ABS cuts in way sooner than it should. It's not the ABS's fault (it's just doing it job!), its the rear suspension. Maybe i just need to play with the settings.

2. The seat shape doesn't keep me in place. I slip and slide all over it when wearing my textiles (i have just freshly re-waterproofed them with NikWax though, that may be the issue)

3. The single clock on the Pure is bothering more than i thought it would

4. The lack of both a fuel gauge and remaining miles in the tank are a pain too.

5. Fuel economy is pretty poor too, lowest i've had is 40.5mpg (imperial) and the best i've had is 53mpg, but mostly its 45mpg.

These are small niggles, and for every niggle i can list 10 things i love about the bike. My favourite machine ever, she makes me a happy man

Funny that you mention fuel economy. I'm stoked on the R Nine T's consumption. I came from a MV Agusta where I was lucky if I hit 30mpg. 40-45mpg is a god send! Granted, I'm sure the water-cooled boxers and more modern BMW engines are significantly better than 45mpg.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Funny that you mention fuel economy. I'm stoked on the R Nine T's consumption. I came from a MV Agusta where I was lucky if I hit 30mpg. 40-45mpg is a god send! Granted, I'm sure the water-cooled boxers and more modern BMW engines are significantly better than 45mpg.

my daughter just bought a four door Golf. It gets better mileage than my R9T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
my daughter just bought a four door Golf. It gets better mileage than my R9T.

So does a Tesla because it’s powered by your own ego, but I’ll still take 2 wheels.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts

So does a Tesla because it’s powered by your own ego, but I’ll still take 2 wheels.

The thing about electric cars is that the environmental impact is highly dependent on the fuel source.

Driving in Norway with 90% renewable sources for electricity? It’s probably an environmental win.

Driving in Victoria, Australia, with something like 70% coal fired generators, it’s an environmental loss.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I like everything except the huge licence plate holder, gotta do something about that!

After a few years of riding the latest superbikes with all the electronics, its nice to go back to something simple that I feel more connected to. Its so much more satisfying riding the R Nine T than my S1000RR, at least on the street anyway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My biggest complaint is BMW didn't just give it to me, I mean sheeeeeesh I had to pay cash for it! I came from a Suzuki DR650 so what do you think!
It's an awesome machine right off the show room floor, so I suppose it is what YOU came from and what are you are used to or have been spoiled by. Rewind the years and think of the rides we used to ride. I think every bike, no matter the money spent or the desires behind your needs will need to be modified to your desires, wants and or needs. My only complaint is the carpal tunnel from pulling out my wallet! It sucks getting old......................
Edit: who buys a bike for fuel economy?!?!?!?!?!?!
Go buy a scooter for that!

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
My biggest complaint is BMW didn't just give it to me, I mean sheeeeeesh I had to pay cash for it! I came from a Suzuki DR650 so what do you think!
It's an awesome machine right off the show room floor, so I suppose it is what YOU came from and what are you are used to or have been spoiled by. Rewind the years and think of the rides we used to ride. I think every bike, no matter the money spent or the desires behind your needs will need to be modified to your desires, wants and or needs. My only complaint is the carpal tunnel from pulling out my wallet! It sucks getting old......................
Edit: who buys a bike for fuel economy?!?!?!?!?!?!
Go buy a scooter for that!
I still ride my DR650. As you mentioned it all depends what you rode before. There is no comparison between the two when looking at purchase price (You could by 3 DR650's for 1 R NineT) and performance. However my DR650 lets you know when you shift from neutral to first gear as does ever other motorcycle I have ever ridden. My R nine T does not give you that prominent "clunk" when I shift out of neutral or sometimes it takes a couple of tries. This would be my biggest complaint.

·
Registered
66 Posts
urban g/s

Love the bike, especially the engine, gearbox, brakes, handling, shaft drive, low feel and its style.

My biggest issue is the budget suspension, worst Ive had on any bike.
Just have to save up for some aftermarket kit but I hate having to throw the standard stuff away on a new expensive bike. Ive improved the front forks but the rear shock will just have to be replaced.

Seat could be comfier and the tank is a little too long, forcing seating position back. I can tolerate these minor issues and can be rectified with a few cheap mods.

Be nice to have the option of a centre stand.

·
Registered
433 Posts
After a year of riding and 9,000 miles, the rear shock is just junk. If I weighed 140 lbs or something crazy light like that I think it would be alright but the scrambler really should have had a much taller shock to give it that more dirtbike feel. The one other thing I dislike is having to drill the bars when replacing them. I had to redrill them after figuring out the right position of the bars a couple of days after I installed them. Just a stupid design for something that is adjustable to each rider.

The last thing, I hate all the attention I get from people while riding it... wait, no I don't. HA!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The huge squishy foot-pegs! What were they thinking? Already replaced mine and so glad I did.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I still ride my DR650. As you mentioned it all depends what you rode before. There is no comparison between the two when looking at purchase price (You could by 3 DR650's for 1 R NineT) and performance. However my DR650 lets you know when you shift from neutral to first gear as does ever other motorcycle I have ever ridden. My R nine T does not give you that prominent "clunk" when I shift out of neutral or sometimes it takes a couple of tries. This would be my biggest complaint.
Holy smokes, your right up 75 and over the river! I used to run the 401 into London to see a buddy every now and again until he moved to BC.
No "clunk" because it's a BMW, not a hog filed Suzuki trans :yahoo:
See, different strokes for everyone. I very much enjoy the extreme smoothness of our gearbox's however I do notice when it is cold it does give me a slight, very slight click going into first or have to roll it slightly forward to get it to drop into first but butter smooth to other bikes I have owned and that only occurs when it is stone cold.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Holy smokes, your right up 75 and over the river! I used to run the 401 into London to see a buddy every now and again until he moved to BC.
No "clunk" because it's a BMW, not a hog filed Suzuki trans :yahoo:
See, different strokes for everyone. I very much enjoy the extreme smoothness of our gearbox's however I do notice when it is cold it does give me a slight, very slight click going into first or have to roll it slightly forward to get it to drop into first but butter smooth to other bikes I have owned and that only occurs when it is stone cold.
Yup right across the river. My previous bike was an F800GS and you could feel it shift from neutral to 1st so I aint buyin BMW smoothness as the reason. The real issue is sometimes it takes a couple of attempts for me to get into first! Real fun at a traffic light but I have got use to it I guess.

·
Registered
39 Posts
And my last bike was a Honda Rebel 500 that returned 75 to 80mpg...... the R9T is well worth the extra squirt of fuel though:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I still ride my DR650. As you mentioned it all depends what you rode before. There is no comparison between the two when looking at purchase price (You could by 3 DR650's for 1 R NineT) and performance. However my DR650 lets you know when you shift from neutral to first gear as does ever other motorcycle I have ever ridden. My R nine T does not give you that prominent "clunk" when I shift out of neutral or sometimes it takes a couple of tries. This would be my biggest complaint.[
Interesting. How many miles do you have on your R9t? My 2015 w/ 7k miles gives a noticeable clunk when getting into neutral. Maybe it's a Euro-3 vs Euro-4 bike thing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
That missing "clunk" is because the R9T uses a dry clutch, much like what is in a car and has no drag while the clutch is pulled in. The DR650 (like most other bikes) uses a wet clutch. Wet clutches have a constant drag on them due to the oil, which is why you get the clunk as you engage first.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I hate the fact that the stupid key cylinder is mounted directly on the gas tank. I have no problem with a triple tree that shows key marks. But, I can't have my tank all scratched up! And, I like my keys all together in one place all the time.

I'm working up a full sheet of tankpad to mount as a protector. It's an easy fix.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
My only gripe so far is the location of the engine oil sight gauge.

You pretty much need a rear stand to check the oil level. A dipstick would have been a better option on this powerplant.

241 - 260 of 298 Posts