BMW NineT Forum banner

261 - 280 of 298 Posts

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
My only gripe so far is the location of the engine oil sight gauge.

You pretty much need a rear stand to check the oil level. A dipstick would have been a better option on this powerplant.

Sit on the bike. Amuse yourself for a few minutes. Carefully lean forward and snap a pic with you phone. Once you know where to hold the phone it’s too easy.

Here’s my last pic. Was very nearly too full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
the throttle cable adjuster is a flimsy piece of rubbish, my throttle had way too much play for my liking, i've adjusted it but i'm not confident in seeing a long life from the adjuster, and therefore the cable.......

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm disappointed BMW hasn't come up with a nicely integrated hard bag option. Something like the Krauser bags for the R90S.
i have the same complaint.

it seems that most luggage options are just fancy hipster cool looking expensive options and the real stuff has been kept for the GS and other bike

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
...it seems that most luggage options are just fancy hipster cool looking expensive options and the real stuff has been kept for the GS and other bike
I suspect our bulky OE twin can muffler is a lot of the problem...
Another "Don't Like" that I replaced.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Another item that seems to be trending with modern bikes, including the R9T, is the diminishing tool kit.
Years ago, on both my dirt bike and street bike, they both included a decent tool kit that included tools to remove both front, rear wheels, change spark plugs, make chain adjustments adjust mirrors. Manufacturers allowed ample room under the seat to accomondate a useful tool kit.

It seems my Pure tool kit makes it possible for me to make mirror adjustments, remove the oil cap, remove the headlamp cover.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Another item that seems to be trending with modern bikes, including the R9T, is the diminishing tool kit.
Years ago, on both my dirt bike and street bike, they both included a decent tool kit that included tools to remove both front, rear wheels, change spark plugs, make chain adjustments adjust mirrors. Manufacturers allowed ample room under the seat to accomondate a useful tool kit.

It seems my Pure tool kit makes it possible for me to make mirror adjustments, remove the oil cap, remove the headlamp cover.
To some degree, you can thank the over litigious environment for that. These days, someone will use a tool provided to damage the bike and then complain that its the manufacturers fault for providing the tool if they were not supposed to touch something they know nothing about.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have to get back on this thread as I hadn't been on the 9T for a month because I was doing my RTW9T build, but jeez:

That clutch throw. What were they thinking. The friction zone is in the extreme last 5mm of travel of the clutch lever. I already have it adjusted as close to me as possible and it still sucks horribly compared to any other bike I have ever been on. And of course the 2017 models and onward are non adjustable. Is there ANY fix for this? Terrible.

·
Registered
66 Posts
ugs levers

My stock 2018 UGS has adjustable levers and I find the clutch and front brakes are some of the best features. I do have it adjusted to minimum reach.
I also have to roll it forward very slightly with my leg for it to engage 1st properly but find it also has the best gearbox on any bike Ive owned. Pity the suspension is complete crap.

I have to get back on this thread as I hadn't been on the 9T for a month because I was doing my RTW9T build, but jeez:

That clutch throw. What were they thinking. The friction zone is in the extreme last 5mm of travel of the clutch lever. I already have it adjusted as close to me as possible and it still sucks horribly compared to any other bike I have ever been on. And of course the 2017 models and onward are non adjustable. Is there ANY fix for this? Terrible.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The option for a centerstand would have been nice. More importantly a competent and taller suspension for the UGS, especially considering what Triumph was able to offer with their 1200 Scramblers.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you ever find a good fix for this, please let us know. Cus it's one of my gripes too.

Side note: been following your ride on Insta (also saw you on Reddit, haha). Hope you're enjoying it! Looking forward to hearing about tu paseo por latinoamerica :) Lived in Colombia for a year and am excited to see your shots. Then when you make it back to the Bay, lemme buy you a coffee so you can tell me about it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a Pure but have yet to ride it (it's still sitting at the dealership waiting for nice weather.) I loved everything about it except two things. I really wish it had a fuel gauge and a tachometer. Also, I'm not too keen on the primer grey color but it doesn't bother me much.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Add some pinstripes

Huey

Add a couple pinstripes, fill up every 180 miles and you know that boxer motor will tell you when you over rev it so don't worry. Enjoy the simplicity and stop relying on tech to bail you out. You will enjoy your ownership more if you just cut loose and understand the concept of simplicity and being disconnected.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I never said I needed technology to "bail me out" of anything. Perhaps I misread the title of this thread but I thought we were talking about the things we didn't like. I prefer having a tach and a fuel gauge would be nice but I specifically picked this bike out because of the old-school vibe. I don't have either of those things on my Harley Davidson either so I know how to live without them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Urban gs centre stand would be good I have twin clocks whilst it tells me all about average fuel etc it doesn’t tell me remaining fuel amount a gauge would have been good

261 - 280 of 298 Posts