BMW NineT Forum banner

281 - 300 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just bought a Pure but have yet to ride it (it's still sitting at the dealership waiting for nice weather.) I loved everything about it except two things. I really wish it had a fuel gauge and a tachometer. Also, I'm not too keen on the primer grey color but it doesn't bother me much.
This can be fixed super easily :) I bought a Scrambler and ordered all the necessary parts to fit a tachometer. After parts arrived, 30min later everything was fitted. The fuel gage problem I do not have a solution to though, haha!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Like other bikes ive owned....the 9t being number 18th on my list.
I cant understand why most manufacturers dont fit a rear hugger.
99% of them come with a front guard.
Apart from that i dont complain ...i simply ride the fookin life out of my bikes constantly braking the speed limit with every single inch i take!
I know.....me bad 😉

·
Registered
23 Posts
Having had the bike for only a week and about 300 miles I can't say I really have much to gripe about. I think a lot of the issues mentioned in this thread have been solved by getting the dealer to throw in a tall saddle as part of the deal which has an extra inch of butt cushion.

I do feel a little shaky going into turns quickly but I'm chalking that up to my own skill and familiarity with the bike for now.

At this price the tach/obc should have been included and it definitely wouldn't screw with BMW's "stripped down" marketing angle so it was purely a cost cutting decision, imo. I'll likely add one at some point if I see it pop up on eBay second hand.

As a taller rider I definitely need to throw some risers on there, probably the Rox anti-vibration 2" pivot risers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
When I bought mine last June, I was liking the idea of getting the tach. But now I'm used to riding without it. I think I would rather trade the tach dollars towards a rear shock.
I just top off the tank before I start out and zero the Trip 1 odometer. Now I know I can go 165 miles before the low fuel light comes on.
It would be nice to have a gear indicator. Sometimes I shift up, but I'm already in 6th gear.

·
Super Moderator
498 Posts
When I bought mine last June, I was liking the idea of getting the tach. But now I'm used to riding without it. I think I would rather trade the tach dollars towards a rear shock.
I just top off the tank before I start out and zero the Trip 1 odometer. Now I know I can go 165 miles before the low fuel light comes on.
It would be nice to have a gear indicator. Sometimes I shift up, but I'm already in 6th gear.
If you install the tachometer, it has a large LCD gear indicator, which is why I installed it.

I too use the trip #1 as you do, very simple, and a good habit to get into.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So you don't think the boosterplug effectiveness diminishes after the first tank of fuel then?
JohnT is on my plonk list so I couldn't hear him even if he shouted his dissent from the rooftops...;)

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
So you don't think the boosterplug effectiveness diminishes after the first tank of fuel then?
JohnT is on my plonk list so I couldn't hear him even if he shouted his dissent from the rooftops...;)
Some people say the effectiveness does diminish, whereas me and others swear by them. Yep it's absolutely not as good as a proper ECU remap but it is a low cost and (IMHO) pretty effective solution. Sadly you won't get a clear-cut steer on this one, it is up to you to take what you might consider to be a risk. Your call. :)

There is a rapid bike evo module too which seems to get good feedback, but I have no experience of that. Think the price is somewhere between a BP and a remap, but willing to be corrected on that one.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
The standard rims. My 2003 1150gs with cross spokes has stainless steel.
DXAMET,

There is a wonderful shop here in US which respokes wire wheels with not only stainless steel wire spokes but also will cross-spoked them for You at the same time, install stainless steel nuts, hell they even offer colors!

Them boys work MAGIC with rims, spokes, nipples (alright u dirty bastards stop yerr gigglin!), wheel truing, etc.

I've used Woody's many times for my racing rims on my Yamaha dirt bikes, and I always knew I had vastly stronger wheels at the start and end of any race than anyone else so I'd beat 'em to hell and back.

- Dominik

NOTICE: I am NOT associated with, friends with, family with, or compensated by Woody's Wheel Works!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Urban gs centre stand would be good I have twin clocks whilst it tells me all about average fuel etc it doesn’t tell me remaining fuel amount a gauge would have been good
Accurate consumption gauge + miles ridden + known tank or reserve volume, far more reliable and effective than a fuel gauge, although not at as simple granted. I can generally estimate my remaining range very accurately, to within a few miles.

·
Registered
148 Posts
.....reading the first post......mine came with tubeless tyres stock (no extra cost) and my speedo does show engine temp......guess they’re all different.

I didn’t like no tacho or gear indicator at first, but I’m now happy just going by the sound of the engine and I now seem to know what gear I’m in anyway.

I don’t like that it doesn’t have the option of a centre stand.......

·
Registered
118 Posts
Beyond the price, the only thing I don't like so far is that I'm spending too much time daydreaming about riding it, and checking for shipping updates on my bar end mirrors. :D

(OK the reserve indicator is an annoyance too.)

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Well, with about 1200 miles under my belt there are just a couple of gripes from me (although they relate specifically to the pre-2017 Classic)...

Firstly, I think it's inexcusable not to provide a temperature gauge, or as a minimum a warning light; no reason whatsoever not to have done so - it's just a stupid omission. Secondly, I'd like to have seen spoked wheels that offered a tubeless tyre solution. They could have done it, and chose not to.

Otherwise, nothing from me, I absolutely love the thing.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Only big dislike I had was knowing I was signing up for a bike with tubed tyres, since rectified with an Alpina tubeless wheel upgrade.

Minor gripes are:

Stock mirrors that gave a great view of shoulders and look pants. Bar end mirrors to the rescue!

The diving board rear end (rectified by a Motobox kit).

Embarrassing horn! lol

No centre stand.

All of this is/was a minor irritation really. I love my bike and think it's the best bike BMW have produced in years.
Did you do anything about the horn? I’ve tried three after market horns and am always disappointed at how puney they all sound. I want BIG sound from a tiny horn if possible. Otherwise 👍

·
Registered
171 Posts
obviously completely different from the 9t. it's an incredible looker and the ride is so sweet. the power (156bhp) and torque (95 ft-lb) are up there and so sweet. i only have 156 miles on it so far but they have been unreal. i have read other ducati riders saying the rear shock is a bit stiff. they need to try our 9t's rear pogo stick for stiff. i tried to make myself believe tire pressure would help but i think the 9t NEEDS ohlins or wilbers for the rear at least. i have adjusted the shocks on the ducati to where it is good for me with few miles under my belt. the 240 rear tyre is awesome and this bike can handle like a sports bike as well as a cruiser. 3 basic driving modes that can be dialed in as well. i'm sure at some point i'll be getting farkles but i got the "s" so as not to go crazy this summer. so far in 3 days i'm in love. i know it's early in my relationship but i do not regret getting the ducati or having owned the bmw. just evolving. cheers all.
:motorcyle:

As a newbie, albeit an experienced one (note I said 'experienced', and not 'expert') I have found this Thread very interesting indeed.

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a new owner of almost anything – motorcycle, car, boat, house, girl-friend, goldfish – will proclaim it to be absolutely the best of its kind ever, never equalled, and unlikely to be surpassed in the future”.

Apologies to Jane Austen.

281 - 300 of 301 Posts