BMW NineT Forum banner

321 - 336 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
105 Posts
I don't like when for any reason it stays with engine off in my garage, rather than with me on and going around :)

Reactions: iamscs

·
Registered
2018 BMW R NineT Classic
25 Posts
Pros
-Looks
-Sound
-Limitless customization
-Air cooled boxer
-Torque in every gear
-Riding pleasure

Cons
-Uncomfortable seating
-Fuel gauge
-Ugly Oe parts
-Lack of storage compartment
-Lack of cruise control
-Poor headlight power

All these negative things could be corrected easily

·
Registered
R NineT Urban GS R1100S XT1200ZE
31 Posts
When I bought this bike I was fully aware that it was a compromise and prepared to do some changes, all part of the fun of it and I guess thats what the majority of us had in the back of our heads.
That said it doesn't mean they could have done things better that wouldn't necessarily mean the bike would cost a lot more.
My main gripe is the position of the ignition, with a tankbag on its not easily accessible, removing the tank for service purposes is a ball ache when it could have been a lot easier if the ignition was higher up and further forward, the tank could then have been unbolted at the rear and pivoted up so you can easily get at all the gubbins underneath.
Key insertion is another thing, only goes in one way or is there something wrong with my key/ignition/tank lock?
I can only guess they want you to buy the keyless ignition.

·
Registered
2015 Classic
37 Posts
Ok just got back from a trip to deepest Cornwall and have another thing to add - the seat gets pretty painful after an hour. Esp if you’re riding all day! I ordered a Sargent before I got back 😂😉

·
Registered
64 Posts
Suspension is crap. Had better on a 13 year old Hornet with 40K on the clock. Seat is bad after an hour but not much else i moan about really.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but the lack of rear mudguard is an issue for me. I just got back from a ride where I got caught in 45 minute ride in a light drizzle, in my mesh gear. While my hands were pretty dry with the Barkbusters providing protection, and my chest was a little damp which is to be expected, my back was completely soaked. I'm pretty sure this is the first bike I have ever owned that has more rain from behind it than from in front. When I ride off road, trails, etc. my back is covered in mud. I need to order one of those UFO rear fenders.

·
Registered
BMW 9T 2015
7 Posts
Bought 9RT used 5000 on clock in lovely nick,have three niggles ,one no adjustment to front suspension,2tubed tyres other bums have tubeless why not on 9T,3 lack of fuel gauge ? Why.Other than that love it,l also tossed up between 9T and r1200r nicer ride and it has heated grips ahhh.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
When I bought this bike I was fully aware that it was a compromise and prepared to do some changes, all part of the fun of it and I guess thats what the majority of us had in the back of our heads.
That said it doesn't mean they could have done things better that wouldn't necessarily mean the bike would cost a lot more.
My main gripe is the position of the ignition, with a tankbag on its not easily accessible, removing the tank for service purposes is a ball ache when it could have been a lot easier if the ignition was higher up and further forward, the tank could then have been unbolted at the rear and pivoted up so you can easily get at all the gubbins underneath.
Key insertion is another thing, only goes in one way or is there something wrong with my key/ignition/tank lock?
I can only guess they want you to buy the keyless ignition.
My key inserts either way.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Still not convinced about the rear brake pedal - pity the standard one isn't adjustable to suit my big feet! Also find peering into the narrow fuel filler to check I'm not over-filling the tank tiresome. I would like to see a fuel gauge on any replacement bike but I'm still a happy customer with my R9T. As for other comments about the seat after an hours ride - I can vouch for the fact that after a 450 mile day - you really don't want to try it yourself, unless you have the hide of a rhino.

·
Registered
R NineT Urban GS R1100S XT1200ZE
31 Posts
OK thanks, mine definitely doesn't and didn't want to try and force it, I've not checked the reserve key so I'll do that tonight.
OK one less gripe, my key was slightly twisted at the tip, someone must have used it as a screwdriver, spare key went in both ways easy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think nearly everything has been previously covered in this thread but one thing the irks me every time I look at my GS is the area where the seat, gas tank, and side cover meet. It’s such a mish mash of intersecting lines. The silver side covers are not very appealing. I think BMW missed the opportunity to make a very nice line from the bottom of gas tank to the rear fender. Touratech nailed that line in my opinion and I’m very much considering doing a custom seat to emulate that line on my bike.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
1,275 Posts
I think nearly everything has been previously covered in this thread but one thing the irks me every time I look at my GS is the area where the seat, gas tank, and side cover meet. It’s such a mish mash of intersecting lines. The silver side covers are not very appealing. I think BMW missed the opportunity to make a very nice line from the bottom of gas tank to the rear fender. Touratech nailed that line in my opinion and I’m very much considering doing a custom seat to emulate that line on my bike.

View attachment 135745

View attachment 135746

You might like the looks of the Hookie kit.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I sort of hate those overwrought seat bracket things.

View attachment 135745

View attachment 135746
i don’t want to even imagine how narrow that seat is on the second bike.
“What do you call your bike?”
“Wedgie.”

321 - 336 of 336 Posts