BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
341 - 360 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
On my Urban G/S I find the stock exhaust sound a bit too loud for my liking. Blasphemy, I know. Even with earplugs I still prefer the purr that my old 2012 R1200R had with the same motor.
That said, the UGS handles better and just feels more natural.
I wonder if the exhaust flapper valve could be disconnected in whatever position makes the bike as quiet as it can be. Less BRAAAAP!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Still not convinced about the rear brake pedal - pity the standard one isn't adjustable to suit my big feet! Also find peering into the narrow fuel filler to check I'm not over-filling the tank tiresome. I would like to see a fuel gauge on any replacement bike but I'm still a happy customer with my R9T. As for other comments about the seat after an hours ride - I can vouch for the fact that after a 450 mile day - you really don't want to try it yourself, unless you have the hide of a rhino.
Fit one of the adjustable brake levers off of flea bay for a scrambler, fits and works perfect on my 2014 sport

·
Registered
'19 Scrambler, '92 535i/5
33 Posts
If I ride flat out for a couple hours I'm usually sore for the next day or two but other than that I still love as much as the day I bought it.

When I decide to put some money into mods, it will probably be for Ohlins and tubeless wheels.

·
Registered
2018 R nineT "Classic" VA plate BXR 9T
118 Posts
More bottom end grunt please. Thank you. (Between 2.8k and 4.5k RPM)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Doonhamer
The crap up the back syndrome was my first fix, like you I've had it before on a Tracer.
Got it fixed to 95%, still get a bit of splash but nothing like before.
This was already on the bike when I bought it.

And I added the old GS mudguard

You'll need a few more bits n bobs for fixing the mudguard which you can see here on slide 46_1483 - MUDGUARD REAR, all of which can be found at kfm-motorraed.

/Dave B
hi dave
Do you have a picture of your r NineT with the Gs mudguard 46627682884 mounted?
Thanks
Édouard

·
Premium Member
2017 Roadster
447 Posts
I really wish my bike had come with tubeless wheels.
I can fix tubeless by the roadside and have many times. Tubes not a chance. It's a long wait for the tow truck and time off work.

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
QUOTE="Uncle Meat, post: 1094373, member: 69359"]
I really wish my bike had come with tubeless wheels.
I can fix tubeless by the roadside and have many times. Tubes not a chance. It's a long wait for the tow truck and time off work.
[/QUOTE]
I felt the same way Meat ... then I read this thread Roadside Tubed Tire Repair DIY. Check it out and see what you think. I don’t recommend this except when it’s going to be very expensive and waist hours and hours of time waiting on a tow (trailer). It took me almost three hours the first time I practiced this technique. Now I can do it by my self in just over an hour. I love wire wheels on a motorcycle .... and not those laced up the sides for tubeless, They look odd. I’m old school with a 2015 Classic and I’ll do what’s necessary to keep the look. I was raised up on tubes .. what’s the big deal..... I was worried about no center stand but you don’t need one.... .....Blitz

·
Registered
R NineT Urban GS R1100S XT1200ZE
37 Posts
hi dave
Do you have a picture of your r NineT with the Gs mudguard 46627682884 mounted?
Thanks
Édouard

Catches a lot of the crap but not all. You have to order screws and spacers seperately, here's a list of things that I bought that day from kfm-motorad with price in euro

1.0 46627682884 Mudguard rear 101,60
1.0 46627688883 ISA screw 3,98
2.0 07129906138 ISA screw 4,22
1.0 46627671618 Holder 20,48
1.0 46628543238 Bush 2,83

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,501 Posts
Catches a lot of the crap but not all. You have to order screws and spacers seperately, here's a list of things that I bought that day from kfm-motorad with price in euro

1.0 46627682884 Mudguard rear 101,60
1.0 46627688883 ISA screw 3,98
2.0 07129906138 ISA screw 4,22
1.0 46627671618 Holder 20,48
1.0 46628543238 Bush 2,83
Thanks for posting the photo and parts information! I've been thinking about ordering one of these for my R9T Pure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I only have 300km on the bike, not even 'run in' yet but what are the things you guys dislike about your nine T or think...why did they do that....

I know its design is retro, fully customisable bike, completely different to say the R1200R...

so here goes:

Previous bike=S1000RR... I was spoilt by quick shifter, slipper clutch and 3 modes...

1) why tubed tire??

2) whats with the INFO display? Fuel flow....really??
why not Eng temp, remaining distance.

3) no adjustable fork? surely if they are catering for 1 up or 2 up with adjustable Shock, then forks should be adjustable. Can the forks deal with 1 up at 80kg vs 2 up at 160kg at its default setting?

4) the fixed mirrors..... it would be nice to be able to fold the mirrors, whether it be for parking, getting into tight spaces.

Initially I was interested in R1200R 2015 vs the Nine T, two very different bikes and uses I know, but I'm thinking, if they can put so much tech into the R1200R for the same price, surely my above 4 points is next to zero cost, expect the tubeless tire/wheel....adjustable Forks, a hinge on the mirrors and software for the INFO.

I guess its just sales tactic which every other brand does.
mudguards, rearsets, levers, mirrors, suspensions, wheels....are all upgradable.

Time to go for a ride, yes, I do really like the bike :p
Boshk - I wish I saw your post earlier! I'm in the same situation, coming from a HP4 to the R9T. I recently tested the R1250R and I found that to be very responsive with that torque punch I'm missing with my R9T but we're still getting to know each other. I'm liking the bike overall but I need more time to really start to appreciate things that I may be still missing. it takes time I guess....

·
Banned
424 Posts
What I do not like.
Useless information on the dash.
I mean seriously, when was the last time you were riding about and thought, 🤬 WHAT'S THE DATE?
Well BMW obviously think people fret about such things as they've included it on the Racers scroll through menu, along with other un necessary's like separate year display, because of course that's information you need at any given moment, and ride time, just in case looking at the time when you leave and when you return is too much of an effort.
"Damn how long have I been riding today.
If only I had a ride time function on my dash"
🤔
I get the feeling that BMW were just trying to think up stuff to fill the menu with, but of course no fuel gauge.
OK I can live without that but it would still be a damn sight more useful than knowing the date and year FFS.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've travelled for weeks at a time and find the date useful. If they didn't put the year then people would complain about BMW not having that information. I like the consumption display on the tach. If I see what rate of fuel I am using I can determine how far I have to go, and/or slow down to increase my range. Sure, a fuel gauge would be nice, but I've owned several bikes without one and several with, and I've only ever run out of fuel on bikes with a gauge. I use the Trip meter.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Catches a lot of the crap but not all.
The rear seat and tail area on the R Nine T are pretty narrow. I found a lot of crap was just coming off the tires up the sides of the seat. $30 for a Universal UFO Rear Fender and a an hour with my Swiss army knife and I was done. One of these days when my bike and my workshop are in the same country I'll probably come up with a better way to attach it, but for now the 4 zip ties work really well.

·
Banned
424 Posts
I've travelled for weeks at a time and find the date useful.
Yeah but it's hardly necessary information when riding. I mean once you've read the morning paper or checked your watch or phone it generally sinks in.

Sure, a fuel gauge would be nice, but I've owned several bikes without one and several with, and I've only ever run out of fuel on bikes with a gauge. I use the Trip meter.
Sure as I said I can live without but I'm pretty sure if you asked most people they'd favour a fuel gauge over knowing the date.
One of those is relevant to the task at hand, riding, the other one isn't.
Not really

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Yeah but it's hardly necessary information when riding. I mean once you've read the morning paper or checked your watch or phone it generally sinks in.

Sure as I said I can live without but I'm pretty sure if you asked most people they'd favour a fuel gauge over knowing the date.
Not really
Reading other forums about leaky fuel strips, I'm happy to keep an eye on my odometer.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,501 Posts
Reading other forums about leaky fuel strips, I'm happy to keep an eye on my odometer.
Those fuel strip issues were especially prevalent on the old air/oil-cooled R1200 bikes which share our R9T's engine. I'm sure the engine has nothing to do with fuel strip failure, but I wonder if BMW left the fuel gauge off the R9T just to avoid more headaches with those fuel strips. :confused:

I like that the R9T at least has the mileage counter which starts when you hit the reserve fuel level. But like some Tesla owners, I can see folks having 'range anxiety' since this bike has a smaller tank. Personally, I wish it were a gallon larger.

·
Banned
424 Posts
Sure, a fuel gauge would be nice, but I've owned several bikes without one and several with, and I've only ever run out of fuel on bikes with a gauge. I use the Trip meter.
Not really
I never said anything about the odometer
Odometers are necessary

·
Registered
615 Posts
I never said anything about the odometer
Odometers are necessary
He is saying what I was also trying to say. Having had many bikes, and many BMW's with fuel gauges, I still prefer the odometer as it is more accurate than the fuel gauge. I'm not willing to rely on my fuel gauge alone to make sure I don't run out of fuel.

341 - 360 of 390 Posts