BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
361 - 380 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Every time I fill up with gas, I reset trip meter 1. After about 270 km the light comes on, then I can drive another 50 km until it is empty.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
What I do not like.
Useless information on the dash.
I mean seriously, when was the last time you were riding about and thought, 🤬 WHAT'S THE DATE?
Well BMW obviously think people fret about such things as they've included it on the Racers scroll through menu, along with other un necessary's like separate year display, because of course that's information you need at any given moment, and ride time, just in case looking at the time when you leave and when you return is too much of an effort.
"Damn how long have I been riding today.
If only I had a ride time function on my dash"
🤔
I get the feeling that BMW were just trying to think up stuff to fill the menu with, but of course no fuel gauge.
OK I can live without that but it would still be a damn sight more useful than knowing the date and year FFS.
Your just tapping into the maintenance meter, keeps track of time between oil changes etc.
It’s in the background calculating your schedule, BMW thought ... it’s all ready there let’s just add it as a feature and sales point... voyla’ What’s not to like ? Why the big deal ?
If you need a fuel gauge to tell you ... what’s between your legs right in front of you maybe you ought to just get in your car ... don’t forget to fasten the seat belt so you don’t fall out.
Sorry, just being silly, nothing personal. For me, after 15+ motorcycles, a fuel gage is like having a kick-stand on a car. Every time I ride the key goes in the tank cap for a look before it ever goes in the ignition ... AND I carry about a pint in an emergency can just in case somebody I’m riding with runs out. Three days after I bought my 9T I took her out and ran the tank dry just to see how she would behave, how difficult it would be to restart, does the motor die quick or slow, how does the bike handle with an empty tank vs. full ... etc. Feel the bike under you, you can almost tell when your low on fuel. I’ve had fuel gages on many motorcycles and most of them were crap. You got a reasonable reading while holding the bike upright sitting still ... other than that they bounce around constantly .... When I look, if I can see gas I’m fine, if not I fill it. EasyPeazzy ...and carrying a couple ounces covers my arse if I’m not paying attention. Date/Time ... who cares ....Blitz

·
Banned
424 Posts
Your just tapping into the maintenance meter, keeps track of time between oil changes etc.
It’s in the background calculating your schedule, BMW thought ... it’s all ready there let’s just add it as a feature and sales point... voyla’ What’s not to like ? Why the big deal ?
If you need a fuel gauge to tell you ... what’s between your legs right in front of you maybe you ought to just get in your car ... don’t forget to fasten the seat belt so you don’t fall out.
Sorry, just being silly, nothing personal. For me, after 15+ motorcycles, a fuel gage is like having a kick-stand on a car. Every time I ride the key goes in the tank cap for a look before it ever goes in the ignition ... AND I carry about a pint in an emergency can just in case somebody I’m riding with runs out. Three days after I bought my 9T I took her out and ran the tank dry just to see how she would behave, how difficult it would be to restart, does the motor die quick or slow, how does the bike handle with an empty tank vs. full ... etc. Feel the bike under you, you can almost tell when your low on fuel. I’ve had fuel gages on many motorcycles and most of them were crap. You got a reasonable reading while holding the bike upright sitting still ... other than that they bounce around constantly .... When I look, if I can see gas I’m fine, if not I fill it. EasyPeazzy ...and carrying a couple ounces covers my arse if I’m not paying attention. Date/Time ... who cares ....Blitz
I don't think you read my post properly.
I did quite clearly state that a fuel gauge wasn't important for me.
My point was, which is more useful, a fuel gauge or being able to tell the date and which which year it is.
Which is more useful.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My point was, which is more useful, a fuel gauge or being able to tell the date and which which year it is.
Which is more useful.
Give me an honest answer
The question should be which is more useful. The date, for free. Or the fuel level, for an additional few hundred dollars. In your argument you make it sound like the choice should be one or the other, and BMW chose wrong, but the fuel gauge requires a pickup in the tank, some wiring, an interface to the ECU, and some software. It's not information already present.

Sure, it would be nice to have as a general reference, but I would still need to use the odometer for actual fuel level determination. Now if they want to add a menu line that tells me the weather along my route, where the police are set up with radar, and which car drivers have been drinking that would be WAY better than the date..

·
Registered
133 Posts
A fuel gage would be nice but I’ve never had one on any of my bikes. As such I’ve become used to keeping an eye on the odometer and resetting the trip meters and I’ve never ran out of gas.

I imagine BMW includes it in their other lines? Does the newer 9T have it?

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
A fuel gage would be nice but I’ve never had one on any of my bikes. As such I’ve become used to keeping an eye on the odometer and resetting the trip meters and I’ve never ran out of gas.

If it does it’s worthless, it’s a matter of physics and surface area vs. time for gage to react.
Your right, monitor the odometer and you can’t go wrong ... if your digital odometer fails your in for a Thriller Calli ....Blitz

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had one on my 07 R1200GSA. It was very accurate for the first 60,000 miles or so until it totally stopped working. I remember being on a long trip and looking at my fuel gauge and seeing it was half full, then started doing the math in my head of where I was and where I started from and thought "that can't be right. That works out to over 80mpg". Took the next exit and filled up with 8.5 US gallons in an 8.7 gallon tank. After the dealer "fixed it" it would stay on full for the first 120 miles, go from full to empty on the next 120 miles, then go another 120 miles on empty. Went back to using the odometer like on every other bike I have owned.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT /5
116 Posts
As a baby biker on mopeds, no fuel gauge, so always used the trip. Remember having to scroll the knob beside the speedo to roll over the numbers to get back to zero every time you filled?
Never broken the habit and still do it in my car as well as bike. Albeit now a digital press on a button. I prefer the accurate distance travelled rather than a usual fuel gauge which doesn’t move much for the few miles and then suddenly takes a dive for the empty line!!! Old habits die hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
My 3 cents worth, I love that my Are Nine Tee's have no fuel gauge, center stand, cargo capacity, fairing and all the other stuff that people point out they don't like about the bike. What I don't like is that now BMW is starting to load the bikes up with "Whiz Kid" technology that just detracts from the charm of it's simplicity, out of the three my '14 standard is my favorite with the /5 and Urban GS tied for second. I have three (3) of them and will be picking up my fourth (4th), 40th anniversary GS as soon as it arrives at the local dealer. It might be my last one unless I happen upon a pristine Racer model some time in the future.

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Racer
263 Posts
Me thinks people should dail down their egos, take a walk in the snow and sunshine and then just take it easy.

This is not going anywhere positive.

It’s the internet people, not something important

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
2,197 Posts
Come on guys, let's keep egos, one-upmanship and childishness off of this forum. There are other places, like Facebook, etc, where you can go and vent all day long if you like.

Let's keep this forum, and especially this thread about our R nine T's.

I'm going to delete some above foolishness, and if necessary temporarily ban anyone who insists that this forum is their soapbox for pushing other peoples buttons.

Thank you for understanding.

Carry on, and have a great time using the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Excuse me....I might have missed something?
My 9T shows an orange light on the clock when fuel is getting low (I think) and then the odometer starts counting miles on reserve.
Is that not a fuel gauge?
Cheers, Ken.
Point well made Ken ! I’ve only run dry once and at that time I was so unfamiliar with the dash I don’t remember a light but I do remember reading about one since then. I just keep looking down the hole to see the level .. old habits die hard. Good point mate. ....Blitz

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Come on guys, let's keep egos, one-upmanship and childishness off of this forum. There are other places, like Facebook, etc, where you can go and vent all day long if you like.

Let's keep this forum, and especially this thread about our R nine T's.

I'm going to delete some above foolishness, and if necessary temporarily ban anyone who insists that this forum is their soapbox for pushing other peoples buttons.

Thank you for understanding.

Carry on, and have a great time using the forum.
Sorry mate, I think I started the snowball down the mountain with a wise crack. No harm intended, I should know better Dauphinais, I apologies to any and all I have so grievously offended with my miss placed wit. I’ll bite my tongue next time, Please push the reset button people ... thank you. .....BlitzouT
....and that, my friends is the last of my string of apologies for this particular miss step .... ..lighten up fellas..

·
Registered
406 Posts
Only 2. Change battery bit difficult. And Short front fender. Lots of stuff and water goes to low zone belt alternator...Rust and dirty in this zone get quickly if you dont protect. The only I see is plastic extend I don´t convinced. I would prefer one single piece longer front fender.

·
Registered
2015 R NineT K21
143 Posts
As a new R Nine T owner, I have been admiring the R Nine T for a few years now. I was in a serious work place accident in 2016, and afterwards was forced to sell my R1100RT--as I couldn't build up enough leg strength to safely hold the bike up in a variety traffic and weather situations. I've admired the look of the R Nine T. I like the naked/fairingless look with the single sided swing arm. I've been a single sided swing arm fan since buying my first '97 Honda VFR 750, then an '06 VFR800, and then my R1100RT. Just something cool about the shaft drive and single sided swing arm on the BMW's.

Cool factor aside, there are a few annoyances on my R Nine... the seat is wide and uncomfortable, the mirror blocks 3/4 of the rear view with my shoulders, the count down fuel tank once I'm near empty is odd (and not overly accurate), the tubeless tires makes for a stiffer ride than I like, the foot pegs could be a bit lower, and handlebars a little more back and upwards.. The issues aside, I am really digging the bike. I just dropped a few bucks on mirror extenders, and a few more dress up goodies for my "new to me" 90.

I'm excited to get back to riding as It's been a few years. I figure something that's a little slower and made for shorter distances was just what I needed.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
As a new R Nine T owner, I have been admiring the R Nine T for a few years now. I was in a serious work place accident in 2016, and afterwards was forced to sell my R1100RT--as I couldn't build up enough leg strength to safely hold the bike up in a variety traffic and weather situations. I've admired the look of the R Nine T. I like the naked/fairingless look with the single sided swing arm. I've been a single sided swing arm fan since buying my first '97 Honda VFR 750, then an '04 VFR800, and then my R1100RT. Just something cool about the shaft drive and single sided swing arm on the BMW's.

Cool factor aside, there are a few annoyances on my R Nine... the seat is wide and uncomfortable, the mirror blocks 3/4 of the rear view with my shoulders, the count down fuel tank once I'm near empty is odd (and not overly accurate), the tubeless tires makes for a stiffer ride than I like, the foot pegs could be a bit lower, and handlebars a little more back and upwards.. The issues aside, I am really digging the bike. I just dropped a few bucks on mirror extenders, and a few more dress up goodies for my "new to me" 90.

I'm excited to get back to riding as It's been a few years. I figure something that's a little slower and made for shorter distances was just what I needed.
First off, welcome to the 9T forum DesertRoads. Your input tells me you are a big fella. If your not shy, how tall? …and what do you weigh? What happened at your work place that injured you and how long was your recovery ? I hope your back up to 100%. You being a seasoned rider with many motos I’m not going to go on about risers, new handlebars, rear sets and lowering pegs with many seat styles and a bevy of suspension mods because I’m sure your aware … the stock 9T is definitely for the “jockey” style rider and not much else so if your uncomfortable much can be done … as to the power, torque and top speed, that too has some options. The 9T is in my opinion, built stock for short rides and not equipped for touring for any length of time, but Jockeys don’t sit on horses much more than 5 minutes a race. You can get a huge assortment of aftermarket gear to fit it to your needs so don’t form any permanent opinions until you dress it up for you. My last question is … I ride my 9T at over 130 regularly … yet you stated you wanted something a little slower, explain please. Isn’t a street bike capable of 130+ and under 500 lbs fast enough ?
StayUpOn2 DR …..Blitz

·
Registered
2015 R NineT K21
143 Posts
First off, welcome to the 9T forum DesertRoads. Your input tells me you are a big fella. If your not shy, how tall? …and what do you weigh? What happened at your work place that injured you and how long was your recovery ? I hope your back up to 100%. You being a seasoned rider with many motos I’m not going to go on about risers, new handlebars, rear sets and lowering pegs with many seat styles and a bevy of suspension mods because I’m sure your aware … the stock 9T is definitely for the “jockey” style rider and not much else so if your uncomfortable much can be done … as to the power, torque and top speed, that too has some options. The 9T is in my opinion, built stock for short rides and not equipped for touring for any length of time, but Jockeys don’t sit on horses much more than 5 minutes a race. You can get a huge assortment of aftermarket gear to fit it to your needs so don’t form any permanent opinions until you dress it up for you. My last question is … I ride my 9T at over 130 regularly … yet you stated you wanted something a little slower, explain please. Isn’t a street bike capable of 130+ and under 500 lbs fast enough ?
StayUpOn2 DR …..Blitz
Thank you for your input Blitz. I was stating the reason for my purchase of the 9T was because it is slower (than my sport bikes), and fully customizable with everything I need to make it my own. I've had the fast bikes, and the long hauler. I'm ready for something slower. The claimed top speed of the 9T is around 124 mph. I plan on keeping it around 80 or less. I bought it for the open roads and twisty's away from crowds. As stated I am aware of all the aftermarket goodies to make it fit my body type. I am small boned, 6'1" tall, have a taller upper body, and weigh around 190 lbs.

My work injury was due to faulty safety equipment and I fell 20 feet and landed on my feet. I blew out my left tibia and fractured both feet. My recovery has been slow and painful, and I'm finally at a point where I can ride again--abit a lighter motorcycle.

My complaints are minor, and with every motorcycle we make them our own. Thank you for the welcome, and your input. :)

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Thank you for your input Blitz. I was stating the reason for my purchase of the 9T was because it is slower (than my sport bikes), and fully customizable with everything I need to make it my own. I've had the fast bikes, and the long hauler. I'm ready for something slower. The claimed top speed of the 9T is around 124 mph. I plan on keeping it around 80 or less. I bought it for the open roads and twisty's away from crowds. As stated I am aware of all the aftermarket goodies to make it fit my body type. I am small boned, 6'1" tall, have a taller upper body, and weigh around 190 lbs.

My work injury was due to faulty safety equipment and I fell 20 feet and landed on my feet. I blew out my left tibia and fractured both feet. My recovery has been slow and painful, and I'm finally at a point where I can ride again--abet a lighter motorcycle.

My complaints are minor, and with every motorcycle we make them our own. Thank you for the welcome, and your input. :)
Good to hear your recovery is going well and pleased you can ride again. I think you’ll find it a bit surprising when you blow by 124. Fastest yet was for me was 136 by the speedometer and my GPS speedometer confirmed it …. I’ve had other riders on 9T’s pass me at that speed. I was floating and afraid to go much faster but I feel I could have, but not much. It’s great at under 500 pounds so your feet and legs should do well. Man that fall must have hurt, my feet ache just thinking about it. I crushed my right leg below the knee almost 30 years ago and I still remember how that felt. I’m sad for you but you will dance again my friend, Be Well soon DR. Post pictures often as you dress up your new ride so we can all dream along with you. ………Blitz

361 - 380 of 390 Posts