BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally I take my Triumph Thruxton R to the drag strip. I thought I might give my R9T/5 a chance.

Neither of these bikes are fire eaters so the expectations aren't high. So do you think the R9T/5 can take a few trips down the quarter mile without melting down?

Last question is how quick do think this bike will be? You should know I'm almost 67 years old but consider myself an okay rider.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Occasionally I take my Triumph Thruxton R to the drag strip. I thought I might give my R9T/5 a chance.

Neither of these bikes are fire eaters so the expectations aren't high. So do you think the R9T/5 can take a few trips down the quarter mile without melting down?

Last question is how quick do think this bike will be? You should know I'm almost 67 years old but consider myself an okay rider.
Looking forward to hearing your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
822 Posts

I think your going to get more than you expect Retjustdad53. I turning 71 soon and my Classic scares me every day. Not sure what she’ll do in an official 1/4 mile but I break 120 regularly in an easy half mile. I’ve heard plenty of feed back about the speedo error so I pay more attention to my GPS speedometer, it’s a smart phone app called “SpeedBox” and it reads pretty accurate from my experience. Download it and open it during your runs and see how accurate it is when compared with your time sheet. Hang on tight .... as you approach 130 she gets very light. Been there many times ....but not for long! StayUpOn2

Last time out for Lemmon Cake & Coffee at Starbucks hit 122.8 !

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think your going to get more than you expect Retjustdad53. I turning 71 soon and my Classic scares me every day. Not sure what she’ll do in an official 1/4 mile but I break 120 regularly in an easy half mile. I’ve heard plenty of feed back about the speedo error so I pay more attention to my GPS speedometer, it’s a smart phone app called “SpeedBox” and it reads pretty accurate from my experience. Download it and open it during your runs and see how accurate it is when compared with your time sheet. Hang on tight .... as you approach 130 she gets very light. Been there many times ....but not for long! StayUpOn2
View attachment 132063
I'll let you know how I do.

·
Registered
957 Posts
do you think the R9T/5 can take a few trips down the quarter mile without melting down?
Yes it'll handle it, and won't embarrass itself either.

I would however be careful not to abuse the dry clutch too much........it's a reet pitta to change.

Good luck doooood, and please keep us updated with your times.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Your looking at around 3.6sec 0-60 and a top speed of 125-130mph depending on how fat you are
I’ve seen journalist claims of ~2.9 for 0-100 kph - if a non-pro rider does it in 3.5 I reckon that would be pretty good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve seen journalist claims of ~2.9 for 0-100 kph - if a non-pro rider does it in 3.5 I reckon that would be pretty good.

Being off the bike except two short rides in the last few months has got me a little rusty but I'm probably still okay.

I took one my other bikes (Thruxton R) to the drag strip last Sunday and got 11.834 @ 118.34 mph. I'd put the YouTube link up here but I'm not sure that is acceptable. I think it was pretty cool since I beat a Rocket 3.

The R9T/5 feels pretty quick too.

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,962 Posts
I took one my other bikes (Thruxton R) to the drag strip last Sunday and got 11.834 @ 118.34 mph. I'd put the YouTube link up here but I'm not sure that is acceptable. I think it was pretty cool since I beat a Rocket 3.
Completely acceptable in the correct section, mate. Post in the Other Bikes forum subsection. We all love a bit of drag strip action. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts