BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new Urban GS yesterday. Rode a hundred miles yesterday, and another hundred today. Still early days, but here are my impressions....

1. I seem immune to the complaints on the UGS suspension. Admittedly, I'll likely never take the bike off road, but to me the suspension is "tight", and is perfect for the road. I like to feel bumps and ruts when they exist, and even more. like a tight suspension in the corners. The Urban GS is great for my tastes. I get that some may want a more compliant suspension for off road use since this is marketed (from the GS moniker at least) as a trail machine, but to my mind anyway, this was more of a marketing thing. As a road machine, I love the suspension as-is.

2. The other big complaint that I heard about the UGS is the peg position. For me, that was one of the main attractions of the bike though. Maybe it's an age related thing (I'm 55) but I'm more comfortable with a higher peg position giving me a bit of a knee bend while riding. The longest I rode continuously was an hour, but the peg position was a plus to me. I'm 6' and the ergo works great for me.

3. I can't make an A/B comparison, but surprisingly (to me at least given the dimensions) what looks to be a completely decorative faring actually seems to help. 80mph gives no discernable turbulence but the faring seems to relieve pressure to the chest and helmet. Very odd given the size of the thing.

4. I've never had a bike with heated grips before. The temps here were near 50 for the last couple of days, but to me, the grips made my palms sweat and the tops of my hand therefore cold. Maybe I need to up the game of my gloves, but I was less than impressed with that.

5. My only real gripe with the bike is the rear brakes. More accurately, the position of the rear brake control relative to the peg. For my tastes at least, I'd prefer that the brake control was higher relative to the peg. To really torque down on the rear brake, you have to flex your ankle more than what I'd consider to be normal.

I also had the treat to meet a fellow forum member yesterday at the dealer's motorcycle museum. All in all, a very pleasant weekend.... Enough talk, here are some quick snaps.... The bike itself has a few dealer installed mods that I sort of dug.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wow that's a sharp looking Urban! Are all of the parts from the dealer? I really like that oil cooler guard and hand guards. I don't think I've seen them before.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Your first impressions nearly mirror how I first felt about my Pure. I have only come to love it more with each trip out on it, and I trust you will too. Bob's really set that up very nicely. The photos truly look fantastic. I actually had the opportunity to see your bike on the showroom floor before you purchased it, and I was enamored the first time I saw it. What a solid bike with tasteful modifications!

·
Registered
320 Posts
nice bike mate, welcome aboard!

The suspension comments i'm not surprised about, i read all about the bike while waiting to collect mine and once i got it i couldn't understand the fuss about the suspension.......
Until i started to push it, once you get confident on it and start attacking corners it will disappoint, especially on bumpy, uneven roads, it feels supportive and compliant around town but mine tends to blow through the damping circuit when it's loaded up, mainly at speed and mainly the rear, the front just feels harsh.
Around town or riding at a relaxed pace it's fine, give it another 500 miles and let us know what you think from there.

I'm a shorty, 5'3" and the headlight mask provides good protection for me, i'm very happy with it, i test rode a scrambler and it had no screen at all which isn't my thing.

I'd bet the hand guards make the heating much more efficient, have you tried them on the half setting? they can get very warm!

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
Now that's a nice looking U G/S!

I particularly like the rear rack, Akropovic slip-on silencer (looks unexpectedly great on the UGS) and the small side panels.

That HUUUUGE rear light needs binned though, IMO... ;) Even swapping it for the smaller european OEM light would be a good improvement.

I had a brief test ride of the UGS too and I do agree with @Cropduster about the springy bits. In my view the U G/S' suspension worked much better than the stock suspension on my 2014 R nineT when travelling at moderate speeds. That being said, although I didn't push the U G/S I'd been loaned very hard I could feel that it was starting to tie itself in knots the faster I went, and that just got worse when hitting mid-bend pumps at speed. Then it felt exactly like the stock stuff on my bike - i.e. undersprung at the front and overdamped/harsh at the rear. I guess it'll depend on how hard you end up riding your bike, you might find that the stock suspension is fine for you, in which case great, you've just saved yourself a large wad of cash. However in my case I decided to upgrade, and I now know just how good suspension can be once I bolted on better aftermarket kit.

How does that Akro rear silencer sound? I have to say the UG/S did sound fantastic with the stock silencer, but that Akro looks the dog's dangly bits! (Translation - flipping great!).

Finally I've moved your review to the ....errrrr...reviews section! 0:)

Congrats again on your bike! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm 600 miles in with mine after coming from an 800GS. Looking forward to better weather to get out on it more and get more used to it. So far really enjoying it. Couple tech issues with it - new rear wheel under warranty due to the well reported loose spokes issues and then a new knock sensor which apparently is not uncommon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow That is a Nicy Nice One . . . congrats mate and save riding . . . don't worry about the suspension bit . . . after the first 10.000 it will soften up a bit ;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts