BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R Nine T
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, it's time to get a new helmet. I've been a Schuberth modular-style helmet fan for many years, so I'm considering the new Schuberth c5, but also a Shoei Neotec 2 just to try something different. Has anyone tried both, and if so, what are your thoughts? How do they compare - not just price, but also quality, lightness, quietness, etc? I've read the company reviews - just seeking informed rider opinions and experience with the two helmets. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
508 Posts
I’ve got the Neotec 2, very good vents, nice operating feel to it, tab on left to lift visor and fast easy to find front release button. I’ve also got the built in sena coms which is voice activated. This is also a helmet which has passed safety stds in the uk to ride with the front fully open like an open face which the Neotec 1 didn’t comply to. A lot of police bikers have them here and there’s plenty of peripheral vision.
what more can I say, hate the colour as mines white!!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a Neotec 2 and I like it a lot for comfort and ease of use. My only dislike which is minor is it is loud from wind noise at highway speeds. However eat plugs can fit that.

·
Registered
728 Posts
We have C5's, my wife is on her second Schuberth, loved the previous and the C5. Of course the fit security is the starting point in your decision.
I did own a Schubert in the past and did like it. Both mentioned brands make outstanding helmets. I guess it does come down to fit and comfort. Good Luck with your choice.

Reactions: R9B

·
Registered
2021 R Nine T
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, SDO5. When you say "fit security" on the Shuberth C5, what are you referring to? Are you pointing out the type of "oval" head shape or are you referring to the accuracy of the size measurements? I found my medium size Schuberth E1 to be a bit tighter than my old medium size C3.

·
Registered
2022 Scrambler, HD Rocker FXCWC;
857 Posts
I would advise to look at the lighest weight possible (carbon?) all this weight on your head should be limited as much as possible. I would also include build in bluetooth speakers, if only for the music....

·
Registered
2021 R Nine T
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Chopper Bob. I see the C5 is slightly less weight than the Neotec. C5 is listed at 1341 grams - or 2.95 pounds. I should have known when I started this thread that it would be like comparing apples to oranges - both are good. :)

·
Registered
2021 Nine T Pure 719 Aluminum
113 Posts
I love my C5, had C4 Pro, and Sedici in the past but no Neotec besides trying it on in the store--didn't fit my head as well as the Schuberth. The C5 is one of the quietest modular helmets out there but it is still not as quiet as some non-modulars out there. My only gripe with the C5 is you have to turn on the battery and the remote (controls on the side) separately. Often I don't even turn on the controls if I'm just going to my work which is close by. My phone pairs automatically and my music starts playing with just me turning on the battery on the back so I'm good. When I have used the phone in the helmet it works pretty good, and the music is descent enough--I always want louder and more bass but that's just me.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Thanks, SDO5. When you say "fit security" on the Shuberth C5, what are you referring to? Are you pointing out the type of "oval" head shape or are you referring to the accuracy of the size measurements? I found my medium size Schuberth E1 to be a bit tighter than my old medium size C
Consider a Youtube clip showing a good fit and poor fit helmet. Try helmets on at a helmet shop that has well trained staff who will guide you through helmet fit. A good fitting helmet is a secure helmet, this is essential. Any other consoderstion is secondry.

·
Registered
2021 R Nine T
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies. After watching a few more reviews, I think I'm going to stick with the familiar and go with the Schuberth c5. I see some good prices online, but will first go to a shop and try one on for proper size and fit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wanted to buy a C5, but when I tried on the Large it was too tight. I then tried the XL and it was like a bucket on my head, way too loose.

At the time, July in the UK, the alternative size interior parts were not available to allow a custom fit of the C5.

As I was using a Neotec, size L with the 30mm (i think, which are the thinest size) cheek pads, I tried the Neotec 2, size L with the 30mm cheek pads and it was a perfect fit same as the old Neotec.

I bought mine with the integrated Senna coms and wished I hadn't for the money. Voice operation I find flakey, the FM radio is pants and next to useless and the sound quality is just about okay. Not a patch on the Cardo Pactalk stuff.

I don't think you can go wrong with either helmet, just get the one that fits properly (hopefully the fully customisable interior parts are available now and a custom fit is included in the price.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
508 Posts
@R9B Pay attention! Please think this through, Only buy things on line that’s low in importance!! The sender may package things well but I assure you the courier doesn’t give a shit if your box gets thrown from one truck to another and whoops it hit the deck hard but receiver won’t be bothered if we don’t tell…..
I’ve had plenty of paint tins from eBay that won’t stand up straight because they’ve been dropped!! Your head is going to fit in this and you could have bought a fractured helmet. Your obviously valueing your head by buying quality but sometimes the shop is really worth the price in this case!!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I wanted to buy a C5, but when I tried on the Large it was too tight. I then tried the XL and it was like a bucket on my head, way too loose.

At the time, July in the UK, the alternative size interior parts were not available to allow a custom fit of the C5.

As I was using a Neotec, size L with the 30mm (i think, which are the thinest size) cheek pads, I tried the Neotec 2, size L with the 30mm cheek pads and it was a perfect fit same as the old Neotec.

I bought mine with the integrated Senna coms and wished I hadn't for the money. Voice operation I find flakey, the FM radio is pants and next to useless and the sound quality is just about okay. Not a patch on the Cardo Pactalk stuff.

I don't think you can go wrong with either helmet, just get the one that fits properly (hopefully the fully customisable interior parts are available now and a custom fit is included in the price.

Good luck
That’s interesting what you’ve said about the Neotec 2 and sena, I’ve both and nothing to compare to but I’ve found sena hard work. Does the other make fit the Neotec or even HJC helmets that you know of?

·
Registered
2021 R Nine T
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Tigcraft and Tmation. Good info. I was concerned about the fit of the C5 considering Schuberth's dropping to down to just 2 helmet shapes and adopting different thicknesses of cheek pads accommodate. I'll definitely try one on in person before buying online. Tigcraft, I was looking at Championhelmets.com for the best prices on C5s. I believe they are in the Netherlands, and the website seems legit with good prices and in-depth video reviews. Anyone with experience with this business and their shipping methods?

·
Registered
2021 R Nine T
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was thinking a little more about Tigcraft's valid point about reckless courier/delivery services. I guess I have been lucky, but I've never had a problem with international delivery of motorcycle parts for my R9T from over a half dozen countries. Unit Garage (Italy) has been the best in my opinion - 5 day delivery to rural USA in 5 days or less. Maybe it's just a different approach or attitude, but in the USA we do pretty much everything online - from buying motorcycle parts, groceries, office supplies, home repair materials, etc. We even do medical appointments and workplace scheduling online. This is just a silly story / remembrance from me - I bought my first Schuberth in Belgium because they were not yet approved in the USA, and I "smuggled" it back to the USA in my suitcase, stopping at Heathrow where my luggage was kicked, dropped and abused. But the Schuberth survived intact. Hopefully my next helmet will make it, too :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts