BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find specific installation notes whilst searching (only RSD one at https://www.rolandsands.com/assets/files/installsheets/4144-61601valvecovers.pdf) but was wondering if there are any tips to follow when doing the replacing. Do the spark plugs (not coil covers) need removing? Do the gaskets need removing and cleaning? Any specific pictures would be appreciated. I did check the Urban GS valve clearances video on YouTube (
) and also have the guy's (Mark Barrett) published service manual and the Haynes too.

·
Registered
600 Posts
No you don't need to remove the spark plugs to change the cam cover

Yes the gasket will need to be wiped clean on both sides, inspect it for damage and reuse if suitable

There is a rubber stopper of sorts that is likely to fall out at your feet when you remove the cover, so remove the cover slowly and carefully so you can see it and understand how to put it back

Valve clearance checks is easy, as is changing the shims if necessary, allegedly not very often needed though

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Hey all,

I’ve just ordered the all black cylinder head covers from BMW for my ‘18 Racer. Before going ahead with the installation, I was curious if there was anything I need to be cognizant of. Do I need to be prepared to catch oil? Or is just a simple hardware swap.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,399 Posts
@Sofioso I've moved your post to this thread that already started that same topic on cover replacements.
Also have a read through this thread for a couple of tips when removing/replacing covers.: DIY: Valve Clearance check 👍

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have a video or document on how to remove and re-install the cylinder head covers? I would like to remove mine and have them powder coated and then reinstall them. I have very little mechanical experience or tools, so I am thinking I should probably have a certified shop remove them and replace them for me. But, I might attempt this myself if I have decent instructions and can get the right tools. I think from what I’ve read the most important part is the gasket, do I need to replace it or can I use the existing one if I put the head cover back on correctly? And do I need a torque wrench for the bolts?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,399 Posts
@Bd2xu I've moved your post to this thread that already started that same topic on cover replacements.
Also have a read through this thread for a couple of tips when removing/replacing covers.: DIY: Valve Clearance check 👍

Oh also, welcome to the forum. 👋
Please post an introduction in the New Member Introductions section.
I've sent you a message via the Conversations section with some details on setting up your profile.
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts