BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a long time coming, but here's a quick look at my nine t that is slowly coming together.

This bike is my daily, but has been sitting in pieces for months awaiting some replacement parts. As soon as the replacement arrived I threw everything back together so that she's road-legal and and I could get it down to my (very patient) suspension shop that had been waiting all this time to finish up a full set of Wilber's suspension.. so forgive the hastily covered and unfinished wiring, etc.

There's plenty of work left lined up, but I thought I'd share how it's coming along.

BMW packages:
  • Brushed aluminium fuel tank
  • Rear hump
  • comfort seat
  • heated grips
Completed mods:
  • Daedalus tail tidy
  • Daedalus triple clamp
  • Rizoma club s indicators (front)
  • Motogadget m-blaze pin indicators (rear)
  • Motogadget m.view cafe bar-end mirrors.
  • Powdercoated headlight ring, lower triple clamp, front fender mounts
  • Denali soundbomb split horn (compressor hidden under fuel tank, trumpet in original horn location)
  • Wilbers 46R closed cartridge fork
  • Wilbers 642 rear shock
  • Magura HC1 brake and clutch master cylinders
  • SW-Motech grip puppies
Soon to come:
  • Tidy up wiring
  • Cut handlebars to size.
  • JW speaker adaptive 2 headlight (currently installed but troubleshooting some electrical issues)
  • Babyface rearsets
  • SW motech luggage mounts (need to make work with daedalus tail tidy.
  • Aluminium front fender to match fuel tank
  • Motogadget bar-end indicators (once I've cut the bars to size)
  • Subframe delete
Possible future mods / daydreaming:
  • Thinking of a custom-fabricated full length aluminium rear-hugger similar to the deus custom, but designed to protect the undertail and shock as well. Possibly integrating some led strips as auxiliary brake/tail/indicator lights. Possibly relocating the licence plate down there as well.
  • Pair of auxillary front spot/flood lights mounted on the forks.
  • Toying with the idea of a custom-fabricated undertail exhaust. Think two skinny end-pipes similar to an MV Agusta F4's four pipes. This is really just some extravagant dreaming, and would require enough clearance under the tail and relocating the number plate.. but we all need something to look forward to! To be honest, I really like the stock exhaust's deep note, and how it's not overly loud or obnoxious.
A question for those who have removed their subframe- do you run luggage also? I'm hesitant about removing the subframe due to the 8kg recommended weight limit, and wanting to carry panniers fairly regularly. Any thoughts?
67558317_2297193530594759_1445306939494891520_o.jpg
67909822_2297233003924145_4855076261698994176_o.jpg
68544931_2297193653928080_4232026023450902528_o.jpg
67483730_2297193710594741_9186333093592563712_o.jpg

·
Administrator
11,349 Posts
Lovely motorcycle, congratulations! :)

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,787 Posts
Your bike is looking nice, well done. (y)

Regarding the panniers, soft canvas style ones wouldn't weigh too much, but you'd need their mounting frames so they don't swing around too much. But then you'd always be looking at the mounting frames.
Maybe some semi-rigid bags that discretely mount at the top?
As you will be restricted by that 8kg weight limit it really comes down to what you intend to carry?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'm happy with how it's coming along. I'll update this thread as it evolves.

Your bike is looking nice, well done. (y)

Regarding the panniers, soft canvas style ones wouldn't weigh too much, but you'd need their mounting frames so they don't swing around too much. But then you'd always be looking at the mounting frames.
Maybe some semi-rigid bags that discretely mount at the top?
As you will be restricted by that 8kg weight limit it really comes down to what you intend to carry?
You make a good point about thinking of the weight of the brackets also.. I hadn't considered that. In that case I'll keep the subframe on. Its a shame that 8kg limit is so low, removing it really tidied up the rear of the bike.

Hmm.. maybe to look at what it would take to reinforce the rear frame..

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,787 Posts
You make a good point about thinking of the weight of the brackets also..
Actually I hadn't thought about the weight. I was indicating that you'd have to put up with the appearance of them, as they are mostly two large loops hanging down when the bags aren't mounted. If you are taking away the passenger footpeg frame to tidy up the back end, then you wouldn't want mounting frames hanging all about. :oops:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beautiful build! Got any pics of the M-Pins on the Daedalus?
Thanks! This thread is actually super old- I'll update with some new photos but maybe will do this after the HP corse exhaust and PVM wheels arrive.

I've taken a few quick snaps of the m-pins on the daedalus tail tidy. I think they are a bit more stealthy than the rizoma clubs. That said I'm undecided about relocating them to mount on the licence plate instead. That way they shouldn't be obscured by my side bags when I mount them, and maybe will smooth out the rear of the bike a little.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks! This thread is actually super old- I'll update with some new photos but maybe will do this after the HP corse exhaust and PVM wheels arrive.

I've taken a few quick snaps of the m-pins on the daedalus tail tidy. I think they are a bit more stealthy than the rizoma clubs. That said I'm undecided about relocating them to mount on the licence plate instead. That way they shouldn't be obscured by my side bags when I mount them, and maybe will smooth out the rear of the bike a little.

View attachment 131869
View attachment 131870 View attachment 131871
B R O ... those look so good! Yes I like them more than the rizoma’s. Thank you for the pic! Sorry I’m new to the 9T world and resurrecting some old threads 😂

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
B R O ... those look so good! Yes I like them more than the rizoma’s. Thank you for the pic! Sorry I’m new to the 9T world and resurrecting some old threads 😂
Yep I'm a big fan of a lot of motogadget's stuff. Only real negative (besides the cost) is that they love to use some really thin wires. I wish they were a little thicker and more robust. I recommend reinforcing with some heat shrink to give them a bit more protection.

No need to apologise about resurrecting old threads- it's actually agood reminder for me to update with how the bike has progressed. Those pics from the original post were a work in progress and I never followed up on this. I'll fix that up soon once the new parts come in :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep I'm a big fan of a lot of motogadget's stuff. Only real negative (besides the cost) is that they love to use some really thin wires. I wish they were a little thicker and more robust. I recommend reinforcing with some heat shrink to give them a bit more protection.

No need to apologise about resurrecting old threads- it's actually agood reminder for me to update with how the bike has progressed. Those pics from the original post were a work in progress and I never followed up on this. I'll fix that up soon once the new parts come in :)
That’s good to hear - would love to see update pics! For my Motogadget items I agree, the wire is paper thin. I have used and love sticking their wires through tubing from Revival Cycles in Austin. I have used 1/8” but 3/16” would be fine as well. Really cleans up the look and gives more rigidity. Revival Tube

·
Registered
192 Posts
I like that bushed aluminium fuel tank and the matching rear hump. I been thinking about getting that for my Racer with carbon fairing from Ilmberger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts