BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My bike is just over 2 years old now and has just slipped out of warranty.

I was thinking that I'm really not that prepared if I had a problem on the bike and / or a puncture (though I am running Kineos and so tubeless)

I was wondering what you guys carry as the minimum of a toolkit (aside from the sparse offering that the bike comes equipped with), puncture repair kit (tubeless), air pump maybe ?

I also was wondering how you carried it (secured in the hump area I'm guessing ?)

Thoughts and feedback as usual would be welcomed.

· Administrator
13,848 Posts
I carry a mobile phone, RAC rescue card and a credit card. Highly portable and saves weight! Lol

Seriously though I do carry a portable air compressor and a tubeless repair kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
268 Posts
Tubeless repair kit, just fits in the space under the tank.
In addition to a tubeless repair kit and a few Torx tools, I would take the special adapter to remove the front wheel in case I had to take it to a non -motorcycle oriented garage for a bigger tire repair. Being at a garage without being able to remove a wheel could be a real problem.
I live in Montana and it is not uncommon to be in places that are 200 miles from any motorcycle shop.

· Registered
2,801 Posts
In addition to a tubeless repair kit and a few Torx tools, I would take the special adapter to remove the front wheel in case I had to take it to a non -motorcycle oriented garage for a bigger tire repair. Being at a garage without being able to remove a wheel could be a real problem.
I live in Montana and it is not uncommon to be in places that are 200 miles from any motorcycle shop.
200 miles would suck. Really any mileage would suck. My mechanical skills are still learning. Bikes usually break down way before I reach 200 mi. :smile:

· Premium Member
1,248 Posts
On short day rides we don't worry too much, 16000 reliable & problem-free kms without any hitches at all! A Leatherman Multitool, some cable ties and a small foldable Torx Key set will sort out most troubles. On 10-day trips (more bikes) we take a puncture-plugger-kit and compressor along. Tassie is small, mates with trailers are really never further than 3 hrs drive away ... Roadside-Assist is pretty good here too
:hope:

· Premium Member
804 Posts
Agreed!!

When I had a puncture on the outskirts of Glasgow on a Saturday afternoon and none of the bike firms could help at all(!) and I was on my way home to North Dublin in Ireland, BMW picked me and the bike up, took us to the Irish ferry, picked us up from the ferry port in Northern Ireland and took us across the border into Ireland and home. It was around 1am when we arrived! On Monday they took the bike to Dublin BMW and they fixed the puncture and replaced the tube. I paid the tyre repair bill over the telephone with my card and then BMW delivered my bike back to me at home.

Was very satisfied!

NICK

PS. My advice from this experience is to carry TWO mobile telephones, one with a very good battery life such as a Nokia 3310.

I carry a cell phone, BMWOA card, and a credit card. They all came in handy when I had a flat. :blink:

· Registered
428 Posts
Air compressor, tubeless repair kit (Kineo wheels fitted) and a few basic tools including electrical tape and cable ties carried in a hump shaped bag on the rear seat.

Reactions: Baloo

· Registered
25 Posts
Where to store tools?

I have the original R9t (2014), but I did put a tail cowl on it and I do put an air pump in there with some patches. However, that is about all it holds. That leaves a lot of other tools I would like to carry w/o a home. Where do you store yours?

· Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,349 Posts
I only carry tools (as part of my emergency kit) during long days and trips. And the kit goes into a small bag of its own I strap down to the rear seat. I know that's not possible with the rear hump, which I do not have. There are a couple companies which make small bags which strap to a rear frame rail or across the handlebar. Wunderlich makes both kinds, though of course being Wunderlich they aren't cheap. 😕

· Premium Member
271 Posts
The Ultimate tool set

I’m looking for the total package in one — I have a million different sets of tools right now that I mix and match at home, but I need one box or roll or case at another location. Needs to be portable enough to fit in a backpack.

the only thing I’ve stumbled across that looks like it would easily fit the bill is this set from SBV — anyone know it? Use it? Have it?

Any other suggestions?

· Super Moderator
2017 Pure
3,241 Posts
The Ultimate tool set

I’m looking for the total package in one — I have a million different sets of tools right now that I mix and match at home, but I need one box or roll or case at another location. Needs to be portable enough to fit in a backpack.

the only thing I’ve stumbled across that looks like it would easily fit the bill is this set from SBV — anyone know it? Use it? Have it?

Any other suggestions?
I think there's a lot of tools in the kit you might not ever use, like the open end wrenches. I've never used one on the bike.

I made a small kit for all of the fasteners on the bike, mostly torx bits (screw driver for the battery terminals), small breaker bar, ratchet, cutter/pliers, zip ties, tape - hardly takes up any room in a small tool roll.

· Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,349 Posts
I just updated my emergency kit/tool kit I carry on the bike during all long days and trips. Here's the inventory.

Tools:
3/8" drive ratchet
1/4" driver
Torx sockets to fit most bolt heads on the bike: T20, T25, T30, T40, T45, T47, and T50
1/4" to 3/8" socket adaptor
Socket extensions
8mm and 10mm sockets (for aftermarket levers)
Allen key multitool
Torx key multitool (for the smallest size Torx bolt heads, the ones I do not carry sockets for)
Gerber multitool (like a Leatherman but a little cheaper)
Two packs of 8" zip ties (Thanks to Ray for the reminder below!)

Tire kits:
Tire plug kit
Inflation kit with extra CO2 canisters (though I'm thinking of swapping this out for a small air compressor)

Spares:
I also carry my bike's OEM clutch and front brake levers, just in case one of the aftermarket levers gets broken. I have some old fuses on hand, too, but they're from the old bike's kit, so I'm unsure whether they'll work in the BMW, or even what this bike needs. For trips I'll be packing a couple small fuel bottles and a siphon hose, just in case.

First aid and other:
I need to get a better first aid kit for trips, but I always at least carry some basic bandages and alcohol wipes. For long days and trips I also carry paper maps and a compass. I still need to get a Powerlet-to-USB adaptor so I can charge my phone from the bike if necessary, or at least carry an external battery power supply for the phone, also just in case. Though zip ties are probably good enough to work in a pinch, I'm going to buy some 550 paracord to add to the kit above. You just never know.

I'm sure there are a couple other small items I should be carrying, but hopefully everything above covers me for most roadside issues I might be able to solve myself. And for those times I can't, I have roadside assistance through the AMA (American Motorcyclist Association), which I did have to use one time.

(Edited to add the Torx socket sizes.)

· Super Moderator
2017 Pure
3,241 Posts
I just updated my emergency kit/tool kit I carry on the bike during all long days and trips. Here's the inventory.

Tools:
3/8" drive ratchet
1/4" driver
Torx sockets to fit most bolt heads on the bike
Socket adaptors
Socket extensions
8mm and 10mm sockets (for aftermarket levers)
Allen key multitool
Torx key multitool (for the smallest size Torx bolt heads)
Gerber multitool (like a Leatherman but a little cheaper)

Tire kits:
Tire plug kit
Inflation kit with extra CO2 canisters (though I'm thinking of swapping this out for a small air compressor)

Spares:
I also carry my bike's OEM clutch and front brake levers, just in case one of the aftermarket levers gets broken. I have some old fuses on hand, too, but they're from the old bike's kit, so I'm unsure whether they'll work in the BMW, or even what this bike needs. For trips I'll be packing a couple small fuel bottles and a siphon hose, just in case.

First aid and other:
I need to get a better first aid kit for trips, but I always at least carry some basic bandages and alcohol wipes. For long days and trips I also carry paper maps and a compass. I still need to get a Powerlet-to-USB adaptor so I can charge my phone from the bike if necessary, or at least carry an external battery power supply for the phone, also just in case.

I'm sure there are a couple other small items I should be carrying, but hopefully everything above covers me for most roadside issues I might be able to solve myself. And for those times I can't, I have roadside assistance through the AMA (American Motorcyclist Association), which I did have to use one time.

Great list @TimC. You can always squeeze a couple of zip ties in there. Also, I wrapped some Gorilla tape around my small breaker bar.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts