BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Great idea if your never going to leave you're 9T far from your eyeline ;),but the day you can't see it your vulnerable to thieving bast*ards taking both you're seats for a walk :D:D
Obviously IMHO only as how often do you need to keep removing the rear seat as there's sh* t all space under your ars* purch is there;):D ,but good for you ;)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Im sure that handle is much easier than the Key wrench thats supplied, but I just keep the key on the same ring as the Bike key. Personally, I think they could have come up with a much better solution. Your solution with the knob, although not very secure, sure does make it easier.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the bolt is an M6

...and where do you guy live where you worry about stolen seats?

lived in a city most of my life and never had a seat stolen, and 6 of those years were with a Buell that had its seat secured by a thumbscrew.

·
Registered
268 Posts
went t0 the hardware store and purchased a 6mm plastic knob ($4.60 US). here it is next to the stock bolt:

clamped the new knob in my bicycle repair vice to cut it:

here it is cut down:

and installed:

no more torx required for removal!

Thanks for that.
After bending my stock tool getting the seat off the first time, (Fritz must have use an air wrench) I was considering doing exactly what you did.

One caveat-Lubricate the bolt with a medium grease because the seat nut is aluminum and that combination will gall. This is what I think was happening on the new seat bolt.

I'm not really concerned that some is going to steal the seat or that really fancy tool kit that comes with the bike.

Now, off to Ace!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
anti-seize...i put that $h!t on everything!
After getting underneath the seat a few times the last couple of days for various reasons. I've decided to take your lead and replace with a knob myself. So, the search begins to see if the local hardware stores have that item. Oh, and I need a new hacksaw too. Always need new tools!

1 - 20 of 141 Posts