BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
If I was going to steal a seat for a R9T I would go equipped at all times with the BMW key, just in case the opportunity arose.
Cheers,Ken.
PS. I think I’m the only one in the UK with an R9T ;) as I’ve had mine (2) for 16 months now and yet to see another when out and about!
I don’t know exactly why Ken but I’ve experienced the same thing, R9T’s are not a common moto. I live in Dallas a big city, I’ve had my 9T since 2015 and had to drive to Austin to find another. There is a BMW club here I looked into years ago and even then not one other 9T. Many Adventure bikes, many full touring machines too but not one 9T. I like it, I get thumbs up and complements quite often. She’s a beautiful machine. She’s like a BullDog, she’s so ugly she’s beautiful. Makes me smile just talking about her.
Just looked up some recent stats about UK’s Moto theft stats ... and I quote:
With close to 40,000 motorcycle thefts a year in England and Wales, there's around a 3.3% chance your motorcycle will be stolen this year. Find out how much higher the number is in big cities like London, and read our tips on how to deter would-be thieves.
Be careful where you park Ken, .... 3% that’s better than the odds at LasVegas ...

Reactions: Ken.B.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have you ever seen a more primitive or less BMW-like device than the OE screw that secures the pillion seat...................... I realise that I will hardly ever need to access the atom-sized space........ unless I wish to store a credit card there ......................

View attachment 130062 /QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO!!!!! A credit card .... sized space!!
Just been fighting with that "toy-like key" That quote LOLOL!!!! 🤣 And randomly hopped onto page six of this thread. So, that it is so random, please take this compliment of appreciation, as both posts and compliments are sometimes few and far between, at least maybe the random variety are. Maybe not, but I read this post and was just floored with laughter. Spot on. I have a little tool on its way from China already.
Question: BlitzSchnell mentioned "t's probably not aluminum but some non-ferrous metal." Yes, very light weight. I recently got a tablet stand for one's desk or lap and it is so light it almost fooled me for I thought it might be plastic. Does anyone know the make-up of the metal?

·
Registered
22 Cosmic Scrambler (K23)
160 Posts
Pure aluminum is incredibly light but also quite soft and expensive. Aluminum alloys are tougher but still expensive. Most budget cast items are made from an alloy of magnesium, zinc, and aluminum. THe magnesium and zinc do the heavy lifting of being light and cheap. There will also usually be a silicon component used as a sort of filler and sometimes a zinc component used to aid flow into the casting.

If the casting is very cheaply done, it may just be an aluminum silicon magnesium mix. Higher strength alloys such as the 6XXX and 7XXX alloys will have added materials increasing the overall density such as iron, copper, zinc, manganese, and titanium (as in 6061) which makes our social perception of 'aluminum' seem heavier than it really is. Cheap castings will also have a much lower density than a homolgenized, graded alloy due to crystalline porosity, lending to a reduced weight. parts made in this way tend to be very stiff but ultimately quite brittle and significantly weaker than their constituent parts. If you have ever seen something made of a light metal with a fracture that looks very 'sandy' it is usually the result of a porous casting caused by poor process control or hastened cooling. A well-made part in cast aluminum should have a break that seems to 'smear'.

Bennet's insurance in the UK has some great videos on bike locks which show what it takes to dissuade a bike thief. The torx bolt is much less for security and more to dissuade the curious and allow establishment of a torque spec IMO so that a manufacturer can have some recourse for 'not following spec' even if the original design is subpar. Just my hot take. If you have some sort of adjustable doo-dad under the seat then a finger bolt makes sense.

I'd just worry about galvanic corrosion:

alu + brass/copper + conductive fluid a.k.a. water = electron exchange = corrosion which is avoided with nickel or SS

Which might self-lock the threads; which then stands the risk of breaking the plastic mold bond around the threaded insert while the seat is on the bike which might become a safety hazard or prevent execution of work such as changing the battery with might result in a tow.

Long story short, I think it;s all still personal pref but I think the two points above are why BMW chose a SS/Ni-washed fastener for the brass alloy washed/plated/metal threads in the seat. Still unsure why it isn't just a half-depth spring-loaded 60* throw key lock but that's a question we may never have an answer to.

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,602 Posts
OMG. Just when you thought that it couldn't get any worse than an oil thread. Up pops a second seat bolt thread. It's a flipping bolt! This would be the kind of thing that grandpa would fix by going out to the tool shed and finding a spare part and then nothing else would be said about it. We shouldn't be awarded a gold star for common sense. Please don't think this is a rant because I absolutely love simple subjects that can be discussed ad nauseam.
So instead of trying to find some nifty ingenious way to reinvent a $.25 bolt. Let's go in the other direction and make this 💩🍔 as complicated as possible. Steam punk it out !!!

Let's get this out of our system so we can get back to talking about custom paint jobs on bash plates.

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,602 Posts
I'm working on a carbon fiber version. If we really put our minds to it we can come up with a self screwing system that involves Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. At the very least we can monitor the torque value on a phone app.

Maybe a few of the more "FAB-ulus" members can mock up a motorized gas, electric or coal burning system to mechanically remove the pillion.
We can always get Blitz involved if it's not loud enough. 😉

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,067 Posts
I might have just kept the original bolt and bolt "key" that came with my 2020 Pure, but that little key thing was useless. I tried a few times and it just didn't work. So, out with the OEM bolt and in with a cheap alloy tool-less version. And it's black so it blends in with the underside of the tail section. You wouldn't even know it's there unless you know.

Just an idea -- maybe one of the Moderators can combine these seat bolt threads at some point?

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,602 Posts
@Baloo So regarding the seat screw, buy or don't buy? I need your opinion, please! I mean, I have a T30 socket and a little portable socket wrench that makes the original screw much easier to remove.
I don't see any problem with that amazon seat bolt. I say get it.
I have a couple of them and no problems. Be sure to use the little O-rings as keepers. They will wear out if you pop the seat off a lot. You can buy some for a few pennies.

I'm growing bored with my plain old anodized black one. I'm going to shuffle around in the attic and try to find my aunts B'dazzler. Starting to feel that it needs a little pop and flair.

·
Registered
22 Cosmic Scrambler (K23)
160 Posts
I don't see any problem with that amazon seat bolt. I say get it.
I have a couple of them and no problems. Be sure to use the little O-rings as keepers. They will wear out if you pop the seat off a lot. You can buy some for a few pennies.

I'm growing bored with my plain old anodized black one. I'm going to shuffle around in the attic and try to find my aunts B'dazzler. Starting to feel that it needs a little pop and flair.
B-b-but the thumb... you could bedazzle the fingernail and really be stylin' plus the hitchhiking utility.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You guys are a little off topic, but BMW blue is a possible choice, but I do really like the yellow from the 40th year anniversary UGS. You'll get us punted!

121 - 140 of 141 Posts