BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Would you like to buy the top triple tree of my design

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on the price

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys!!
I would like to share with you my latest project. Please let me know what you think about it.

Fully custom, aluminium top triple tree for BMW R nineT
Some tech info:
• Aluminum PA6 (EN AW-2017A)
• Hand brushed to match original bmw aluminium tank
• Clear, high temperature cured lacquer coating, I was thinking about anodizing, but for my bike I prefer to match the tank more

·
Registered
2017 Prambler
423 Posts
Nicely Done.

Best,
-Tim

Reactions: TheTorn

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Man if I had CNC when I was a younger man …. That’s poetry ! Beautiful Numeric Control Systems are truly amazing …. Nice nice job. I remember seeing a custom center nut made in such a way that it had a recessed Deutsche mark inlaid, the coin was minted the same year as the bike. Really a nice touch too. 🤔 ……….Blitz

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I have done has been very well received, and for that I thank you all sincerely !! 😍

I have some more pictures and details of the project itself, if you'd like to see them
The quality of the photos and the scenery may not be stunning, but you'll have to forgive me. The bike is just in the middle of a major rebuild.

First of all, the design💎🏆
There were many factors that influenced the final design of the product, whether it was the images I saw on the internet, suggestions from friends or the relatively simple production process. I wanted a minimalist design and for it to look good with the motogadget motoscope pro.
The most important, and at the same time the most difficult, was to get the dimensions right - the distance between the holes is crucial here. As I own a 2016 model, I was able to find some of the information on this forum. Some other I simply measured myself.
Product Bicycle part Font Circle Auto part

To make the support for a dashboard, I used a dedicated plate from motogadget (producet number 1005060) that can be shaped as desired, together with cutting holes and bending, if needed.

Which finish would suit my project best was decided at the last minute. I decided on brushed aluminium and a clear coat. And tbh i love the way it gloss.
However, as it is aluminium, it can be anodized and the range of possible colours is very wide (e.g. blue, like the central nut you can see on the pictures)

Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Crankset Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part Rim

Automotive tire Automotive design Carbon Rim Bicycle part

Now a small announcement 👀
thanks to the approval of the Moderators, I have a permission to create a poll where you can express your interest in buying the above item.
As you can probably guess, the cost of making one piece was quite high....damn high- if I was speaking my mind
😃

However, if a small group willing to spend a few pennies comes together, I will be more than happy to make a few more pieces for you guys.
How much? - you ask. I honestly don't know. I think that with 5-8 people, we can easily go below 300 euros per piece.

To summarize, I can offer the top of a triple tree with customised finish (anodised, coloured anodised, clear lacquer, brushing, etc.) plus support for the motogadget counter, cutted and shaped to fit. The price would depend on the interest.
If you are interested please also write me a private message.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Actually a CNC billet cut piece like that is well within the price range Torn. I’d like to know more about the grade of aluminum. Also where did you use the Nylon (PA6) ? If I order one can I make a slight change in dimensions ? It appeared to me that the depth of the 45° bevel that runs all the way round the top outside edge is just a tiny bit to deep and maybe didn’t take into consideration the size of countersunk holes for the bolts that clamp around the top of the shocks… it seems to me to cut into the countersink… it ruins the line …..
I know, I’m picky but for almost $400 …I feel like my request is reasonable. Don’t you ?
See pict below….
Automotive design Bicycle part Material property Rim Font

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Actually a CNC billet cut piece like that is well within the price range Torn. I’d like to know more about the grade of aluminum. Also where did you use the Nylon (PA6) ? If I order one can I make a slight change in dimensions ? It appeared to me that the depth of the 45° bevel that runs all the way round the top outside edge is just a tiny bit to deep and maybe didn’t take into consideration the size of countersunk holes for the bolts that clamp around the top of the shocks… it seems to me to cut into the countersink… it ruins the line …..
I know, I’m picky but for almost $400 …I feel like my request is reasonable. Don’t you ?
See pict below….
Hey, thanks for your comment :)

Price:
Unfortunately this machining, only seems simple, but due to the location of the necessary holes, we need either a multi-axis machine tool, or additional chucks to hold the piece under the milling machine in the correct position. The cost of making one piece on a multi-axis machine is not cheap.
I'm trying to reduce it, hence the poll to discern the possibility of making several pieces at once. Then the cost of machining will be much lower. 300 euro was just a marker, I don't know what price I can reach at the moment, because it depends on the number of people interested.

Material:
it's an aluminium PA6, also knows as EN AW-2017A, There is no nylon there ;) -->I will add this information in the first post

Dimensions changing:
Depends on what dimensions, some of them cannot be changed, like the position of two bottom holes you've marked. These holes are responsible for locking the handlebar in a certain position

Chamfer:
I was aware that the chamfer would go into the notch under the screw head, but I still wanted the chamfer to be clearly marked, so i decided to stay with 4mm. If you want to reduce it, I don't see any problem, here is the idea what its gonna look with 3mm.I think that is what you meant
Auto part Circle Pattern Font Drawing

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Hey, thanks for your comment :)

Price:
Unfortunately this machining, only seems simple, but due to the location of the necessary holes, we need either a multi-axis machine tool, or additional chucks to hold the piece under the milling machine in the correct position. The cost of making one piece on a multi-axis machine is not cheap.
I'm trying to reduce it, hence the poll to discern the possibility of making several pieces at once. Then the cost of machining will be much lower. 300 euro was just a marker, I don't know what price I can reach at the moment, because it depends on the number of people interested.

Material:
it's an aluminium PA6, also knows as EN AW-2017A, There is no nylon there ;) -->I will add this information in the first post

Dimensions changing:
Depends on what dimensions, some of them cannot be changed, like the position of two bottom holes you've marked. These holes are responsible for locking the handlebar in a certain position

Chamfer:
I was aware that the chamfer would go into the notch under the screw head, but I still wanted the chamfer to be clearly marked, so i decided to stay with 4mm. If you want to reduce it, I don't see any problem, here is the idea what its gonna look with 3mm.I think that is what you meant
View attachment 146815
Thanks Torn.
Yes, exactly what I meant, for my taste much better thank you. I knew you couldn’t move the screws I just wanted to see the camfer just a tiny bit less so the lines of the bevel wouldn’t be broken. I like it. Now I’ll sit back and see if a group-on buy is in your future. Good luck. Again, nice work.
EN AW-2017A I understand, European high grade aluminum, good stuff. Aerospace grade. I understood PA6 to be a nylon product … Polyamide 6 (PA6) & Polyamide 66 (PA66). It’s also known as Nylon 6 or polycaprolactam. It is used in industry to machine, so I was a bit confused …. I’ve milled and turned it many times. It’s soft like AL 1100 but tough and non conductive.

·
Registered
HD Rocker FXCWC; Scrambler, to be bought
98 Posts
What software did you use to design this?

Thnx
Robert

1 - 14 of 14 Posts