·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
From what I gathered (trying to work on a similar project myself), Car OBD protocol is universal (regulated by government agencies like DoT in US) and the reader that you have would pretty much be plug and play on a any car.

But for motorcycles OBD protocols are not regulated and every manufacturer has their own spec particularly BMW in this case. There are OBD reader vendors like GS-911 that reverse engineered the BMW protocol for achieving what you need. Would advise you to research and ensure that the reader that you are trying to use actually works for BMW motorcycles before you end up spending any money.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I gathered (trying to work on a similar project myself), Car OBD protocol is universal (regulated by government agencies like DoT in US) and the reader that you have would pretty much be plug and play on a any car.

But for motorcycles OBD protocols are not regulated and every manufacturer has their own spec particularly BMW in this case. There are OBD reader vendors like GS-911 that reverse engineered the BMW protocol for achieving what you need. Would advise you to research and ensure that the reader that you are trying to use actually works for BMW motorcycles before you end up spending any money.
Agree, but converter cable was $20, so thought it is worth a try. Will let you know

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Interesting info around post #123
Anyone use a standard ODB-CANBUS diagnostic tool on BMW? - Page 9 - ADVrider

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,797 Posts
So for a total novice on this subject . . . can the OBD2 be used to adjust or reset data as the GS-911 does? Or is it a reader/analyser?
I note the term "diagnostic tool", which to me sounds like a problem finder and fixer. :nerd:

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So for a total novice on this subject . . . can the OBD2 be used to adjust or reset data as the GS-911 does? Or is it a reader/analyser?
I note the term "diagnostic tool", which to me sounds like a problem finder and fixer. :nerd:
This may only read values. Unlikely it will be able to reset adaptions or clear codes, for that you need a GS911 or a my Rexxer can also do it.

I should have the adapter cable soon, so will certainly let you all know.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting info, I would expect it to read RPM, speed, gear indicator etc (all the info you can see on your instrument cluster) based on the info in this thread but would be good to know if it can also get info on things like oil temperature etc.
Thats what I am hoping. If not I wasted $20 on a cable :(

·
Registered
242 Posts
Subscribed! Looking forward to seeing what happens with this.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Waiting for cable....

Reactions: jmvalderrama

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cable arrived today. Will test later and try some logs while riding.

Attachments

Reactions: JamesM

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reads many values just as the GS-911. I need to learn the Torque app more to see how to do riding logs etc.

- Oil/Engine temp
- Revs, speed
- AFR (C) - open or closed loop status and lambda voltage
- throttle position
- timing
- 0-100, 0-60 times etc

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
That is awesome! Where did you buy the cable and how much did you pay for it? Are those readouts in realtime? I think there are a lot of us that will be very interested in the oil temp, but what about the fuel level? Please tell me there is a fuel gauge??

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is awesome! Where did you buy the cable and how much did you pay for it? Are those readouts in realtime? I think there are a lot of us that will be very interested in the oil temp, but what about the fuel level? Please tell me there is a fuel gauge??
No fuel gauge in Torque nor on the 9T. It can calculate consumption etc and usage by each injector. I need time to play with it, but certainly has potential.

Can buy the cable here for 12 euro Cheap BMW Motorcycle Diagnose Cable For BMW ICOM

The Bluetooth reader on eBay, but ensure it supports all the protocols such as:
ISO15756-4 (CAN-BUS)
ISO14230-4 (KWP2000)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts