BMW NineT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any hints from the forum on Trailering? Something simple, or something enclosed? Ideally, it would have to be something with nice ramps, or that would lower, so one person can load easily. Not interested in something with toy tires, need something for trailering longer distances.

· Premium Member
120 Posts
Well as someone who built trailers for a short time I can say that you have a lot of options. The first thing you need to do is think about what other uses you may have for a trailer besides hauling a bike, or what else you might be hauling along with the bike. Enclosed trailers are a great way to go depending on your budget and needs. Your bike will be out of the weather and debris of the road. It's a safe way to transport a bike and other small items because you can lock it up, and you can use it as covered storage at home when not in use. You can also build out the inside as a work station or a place to sleep. The down side will the higher price range and reduced visibility while driving and backing up. Open utility trailers are a good choice as well. Again multi use, and you'll be able too see better. Bike specific trailers especially single bike trailers are nice, but your really limiting yourself with something like this. The day you buy a big piece of furniture or need to transport a lawn mower you will regret it. The upside to getting a bike specific trailer in some cases is the built in wheel chocks and well placed sturdy tie downs. Some bike trailers can even be disassembled and fit in the trunk of your car.
Especially for long haul transporting I would recommend some sort of wheel chock, even if you have to buy one or build something to keep your front tire in place. Also, depending on what the decking of the trailer is made of, I would add some extra grip where the wheels of your bike will be. Even if it's tied down well it can still shift and start to walk out especially when the decking gets wet. Don't be fooled by diamond plate steel or aluminum! This stuff is useless in my opinion and really adds no grip when it gets wet. Yes it does add a cool look to things, but it's expensive. Regardless of what you get, take a close look at the construction. Check out where the tie down points will be and how sturdy they are. Check out the decking and the support underneath, is the frame sturdy? Will there be support under or near where the wheels of the bike will be?
For a bike specific trailer I would check the local power sports shops or even order online. For any other trailer, go to a trailer specific retailer or outdoor equipment dealer if you want something sturdy. If you shop around you'll find any of these styles of trailers with easy to use ramps. You can also rent on from uhaul if this is a one shot deal.

Hopefully that answered some of your questions. As for specific model recommendations, i can't say that I have any. Most trailers I have used were for completely different purposes or built locally by myself and my buddy's company.

Here's a basic article from cycle world I saw yesterday about how to securely tie down a bike. Tie down your bike to avoid crashes on the road

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TWhalen;38570]Well as someone who built trailers for a short time

Thanks much. Bunch of which is valuable to me. One of the problems I've been seeing, is the lower open trailers seem to be so cheaply made, with smaller tires. Of course, the enclosed are quite a bit more expensive. Seems like every time I find one I like, I check the website, and they are only in Europe! Maybe I should get in the trailer building business!

· Registered
238 Posts
TWhalen;38570]Well as someone who built trailers for a short time

Thanks much. Bunch of which is valuable to me. One of the problems I've been seeing, is the lower open trailers seem to be so cheaply made, with smaller tires. Of course, the enclosed are quite a bit more expensive. Seems like every time I find one I like, I check the website, and they are only in Europe! Maybe I should get in the trailer building business!
Hey! Just remember if you ever end up int hat business to give us a deal lol :D

· Premium Member
120 Posts
Well I'm still friends with the guy making the trailers. My full time job as a bridge welding inspector keeps me too busy to work with him anymore. He is making a lot of custom trailers at this point and moving into aluminum frames. They primarily do open utility and car trailers at this point.

Yes the small open trailers are flimsy. As I said before, try your luck at an outdoor equipment dealer. If there is such a place in your area that sells small or mid sized tractors, go take a look. You may be lucky enough to find a smaller single axle trailer with a heavier axle and wheels and a strong frame. You always have the option of buying a nice aluminum loading ramp later if you can't find the right trailer/ramp combo. Finally you can ask around and see if anyone is making trailers locally, you may luck out and be able to get one built just how you want it.

rkevwill where are you located? Maybe we should get into that business, I'm nationally certified. It will look great for our insurance :)

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm still friends with the guy making the trailers. My full time job as a bridge welding inspector keeps me too busy to work with him anymore. He is making a lot of custom trailers at this point and moving into aluminum frames. They primarily do open utility and car trailers at this point.

Yes the small open trailers are flimsy. As I said before, try your luck at an outdoor equipment dealer. If there is such a place in your area that sells small or mid sized tractors, go take a look. You may be lucky enough to find a smaller single axle trailer with a heavier axle and wheels and a strong frame. You always have the option of buying a nice aluminum loading ramp later if you can't find the right trailer/ramp combo. Finally you can ask around and see if anyone is making trailers locally, you may luck out and be able to get one built just how you want it.

rkevwill where are you located? Maybe we should get into that business, I'm nationally certified. It will look great for our insurance :)
I'm in Indy, but I fish in the Kennebec and Penobscot, and my wife's favorite town is Camden. Used to be Bar Harbor, but the cruise ships have ruined the place :( What I need to do, is find a used Wells Cargo, and customize the interior! I like your idea about about the equipment dealers. We still have quite a few farm equipment dealers outside of town.

· Premium Member
120 Posts
I'm in Indy, but I fish in the Kennebec and Penobscot, and my wife's favorite town is Camden. Used to be Bar Harbor, but the cruise ships have ruined the place :( What I need to do, is find a used Wells Cargo, and customize the interior! I like your idea about about the equipment dealers. We still have quite a few farm equipment dealers outside of town.
No **** that's great you know the area. I'm in Portland, but I grew up out in the sticks (brownfield) near Fryeburg & the white Mountains of NH. I'm looking forward to visiting my parents when I get my new bike and ride all the mountain roads out that way. You'll have to let me know if your ever in the area, I may even have a spare bike.

Yeah an inclosed rig with a custom interior would be great if it doesn't break the bank. It's a good way to keep people from knowing what type of expensive goodies your traveling with. If you do get a heavier open trailer make sure to ask about the suspension. The springs might be too stiff depending on what it is intended to haul. It'll make for a rough ride.

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No **** that's great you know the area. I'm in Portland, but I grew up out in the sticks (brownfield) near Fryeburg & the white Mountains of NH. I'm looking forward to visiting my parents when I get my new bike and ride all the mountain roads out that way. You'll have to let me know if your ever in the area, I may even have a spare bike.

Yeah an inclosed rig with a custom interior would be great if it doesn't break the bank. It's a good way to keep people from knowing what type of expensive goodies your traveling with. If you do get a heavier open trailer make sure to ask about the suspension. The springs might be too stiff depending on what it is intended to haul. It'll make for a rough ride.
Yeah, don't want the delicate bits on the bike getting shaken around too much! Not to mention tools stored on the wall jarring off and scratching that pretty tank!

Oh, and I'm out there every two years. West one year, east the next year.

· Registered
31 Posts
Well as someone who built trailers for a short time I can say that you have a lot of options. The first thing you need to do is think about what other uses you may have for a trailer besides hauling a bike, or what else you might be hauling along with the bike. Enclosed trailers are a great way to go depending on your budget and needs. Your bike will be out of the weather and debris of the road. It's a safe way to transport a bike and other small items because you can lock it up, and you can use it as covered storage at home when not in use. You can also build out the inside as a work station or a place to sleep. The down side will the higher price range and reduced visibility while driving and backing up. Open utility trailers are a good choice as well. Again multi use, and you'll be able too see better. Bike specific trailers especially single bike trailers are nice, but your really limiting yourself with something like this. The day you buy a big piece of furniture or need to transport a lawn mower you will regret it. The upside to getting a bike specific trailer in some cases is the built in wheel chocks and well placed sturdy tie downs. Some bike trailers can even be disassembled and fit in the trunk of your car.
Especially for long haul transporting I would recommend some sort of wheel chock, even if you have to buy one or build something to keep your front tire in place. Also, depending on what the decking of the trailer is made of, I would add some extra grip where the wheels of your bike will be. Even if it's tied down well it can still shift and start to walk out especially when the decking gets wet. Don't be fooled by diamond plate steel or aluminum! This stuff is useless in my opinion and really adds no grip when it gets wet. Yes it does add a cool look to things, but it's expensive. Regardless of what you get, take a close look at the construction. Check out where the tie down points will be and how sturdy they are. Check out the decking and the support underneath, is the frame sturdy? Will there be support under or near where the wheels of the bike will be?
For a bike specific trailer I would check the local power sports shops or even order online. For any other trailer, go to a trailer specific retailer or outdoor equipment dealer if you want something sturdy. If you shop around you'll find any of these styles of trailers with easy to use ramps. You can also rent on from uhaul if this is a one shot deal.

Hopefully that answered some of your questions. As for specific model recommendations, i can't say that I have any. Most trailers I have used were for completely different purposes or built locally by myself and my buddy's company.

Here's a basic article from cycle world I saw yesterday about how to securely tie down a bike. Tie down your bike to avoid crashes on the road
Great info really helps!! Gave me an idea if I ever need a trailer how to list them down depending on me need!

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Ok, just hit me. Portland.... Micucci's Italian Grocer Pizza!

· Premium Member
120 Posts
Ok, just hit me. Portland.... Micucci's Italian Grocer Pizza!
Yup. I have a friend who lives near that place. He tells me I have to go in, but I always forget. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend. Another good place to get pizza in Portland is Ottos. They just opened a few years ago. They do big thin crust pies with awesome toppings. Mashed potato bacon scallion, pulled pork and mango, squash ricotta and cranberries, and many more. I'll set you up with a good list of places to eat next time your in the area if you'd like. You headed out here this summer, or next?

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup. I have a friend who lives near that place. He tells me I have to go in, but I always forget. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend. Another good place to get pizza in Portland is Ottos. They just opened a few years ago. They do big thin crust pies with awesome toppings. Mashed potato bacon scallion, pulled pork and mango, squash ricotta and cranberries, and many more. I'll set you up with a good list of places to eat next time your in the area if you'd like. You headed out here this summer, or next?
Original plan was to go to Paris for our 45th wedding anniversary, and take the riverboat from Paris to Normandy. Not sure if we are doing that however. If we go east or west, this year it would probably be east. To upstate NY to visit some friends, then to Boston for a couple days, then a couple stops in Maine, where I will do some flyfishing on the Kennebec river. Depends on if we bring our chocolate lab or not. She travels well. (although NOT going to Paris with us) I think I will let my wife make this final decision. Wife is somewhat impaired, which concerns me about a foreign trip, but if thats what she wants, she's gonna get it.

· Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Original plan was to go to Paris for our 45th wedding anniversary, and take the riverboat from Paris to Normandy .... what she wants, she's gonna get it.
hehehe - just a teenie-weenie little creative editing there, don't get mad ....

Just wanted to ask what your arrangements were for your 30th wedding anniversary? It's ours this year in October (still time for plans), but she's outdone me by getting back to work for the R9T and stuff .... should I just bask in her adoration and accept :D ... it's a hard thing to match. Well, maybe not that hard ... she'll inherit my C and, Cruiser girl at heart, it should help towards balancing my brownie points account :rolleyes:

Whenever I check out some Cruise Ships - all I'm thinking about is: man, for all that money I could buy her a top-of-the-range set of bike leathers, plus enjoy a 3 weeks holiday riding around Australia or so ... I already got her a shortened .308 Remington, a series of bikes and stuff and stuff ... what do you give a girl who's got everything she wants? :confused::confused:

Of course she owns some bling, but last time I caught her trimming our sheep's hoofs with her new 'heavy-ornate' gold bracelet glistening from under the mucky gloves ... not easy to find among the straw & muck, had it been ripped off during the wrangling ...:(:eek::(

ah, I got it !! :), writing this blurb has reminded me of her need for relaxation .... gotta dig deep for this one!

yep. that's right. I'm talking about the

iYUME8600 "L"​

2014BRAND NEW Massage Chair IYUME8600 "L"SET Roller Space Capsule Wireless Music | eBay

.... that's gotta be a better investment than a Cruise! And it can be enjoyed by more - for longer .... huh! good or what? :D:D

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.... that's gotta be a better investment than a Cruise! And it can be enjoyed by more - for longer .... huh! good or what? :D:D
Well, when you consider we've never been to Europe, question is, when is it time? BTW, the river cruises are not like a "cruise" in the traditional sense. The boats are more transportation from one town to another. Wife being somewhat impaired, thats a good thing. Love to tour Australia some time, but I think the plane would be better than a boat :) We don't do "cruises" on those big boats, we prefer windjammer type boats in the carib.

One of my car buddies lived in Australia for 30 years. I told him once I would love to tour the Outback, and his response was "um no you don't, theres nothing there!"

· Premium Member
247 Posts
Well, when you consider we've never been to Europe, question is, when is it time? BTW, the river cruises are not like a "cruise" in the traditional sense. The boats are more transportation from one town to another. Wife being somewhat impaired, thats a good thing. Love to tour Australia some time, but I think the plane would be better than a boat :) We don't do "cruises" on those big boats, we prefer windjammer type boats in the carib.

One of my car buddies lived in Australia for 30 years. I told him once I would love to tour the Outback, and his response was "um no you don't, theres nothing there!"
He wasn't joking!:) It's very sparse, But a trip though the "Out Back" is a great experience! I've not been for ten years now, but I still bring reference to My trip often. In 2004 I travelled from southeast Queensland north west to the Northern Territory, and up to Darwin and return. 9877 kilometres in 3 weeks. It was a solo trip, and I had a blast!!:D

· Premium Member
1,248 Posts
... yeah, it's one of those amazing marketing tricks .... hm, how can we get people to venture into that great nothing out back? Want to check out the rest of Oz? - just go out back .... wow, THE outback. That should do it :D

I'm planning to do the great CircumOz with the missus in a few years time; a few years back I rode from Tassie to Roxby Downs to prep for the Nullarbor Crossing ... Nov/Dec of all months!!! duh! We had some warmer days in Tassie and I thought I'd better invest in a 3/4 helmet just in case .... it's a long stretch, scenic too - if you're into that Outback thingo ... Usually ATGATT, I ended up riding in shirt or t-shirt most of the time while up there. It's not as if there's a rush hour (more like a rush weekend on the mining-industry's shift changeover) and traffic's crowding you. The only real dramas can be if one overlooks that 7'5" Grey Kangaroo grazing in the shade of that salt bush beside the road, and he decides to take you on. Other than that - plain sailing. 40 - 50 degrees C / 104 - 122 F, was a bit harsh for the cool boy from Tassie .. phew :cool:

if you're interested, the ride report & photos can be viewed here (scroll about halfway down that page): Chromeheads Forum: Archive through February 08, 2010

and a little something for US-Astronautic-buffs:
Chromeheads Forum: US Astronautics in Woomera / Australia

... start packing and c'mon over :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.