BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having spent several months building an off-road capable R9T see build thread here ( Pure to Urban GS on Steroids Conversion) I finally got to complete the first leg (1/3) of the Trans America Trail (TAT).

We left from Houston and did a 3 day road trip to the Virginia / NC state line where we joined the trail to head West, this was after squeezing in the Blue Ridge Parkway, Snake and Tail of the Dragon. The route West was maybe 30% dirt, 50% single track paved roads and 20% regular roads/highways, and we finished the 10 day trip at the West side of the Ozark’s. The off-road sections where predominantly gravel roads, with little challenging terrain. Rain made conditions rather slippery in Arkansas, and a few river fords that where rather deeper than we had anticipated, but otherwise the route was plain sailing.

The modifications to the suspension worked incredibly well and I believe a modified R9T would equal the off-road ability of the bigger GS’s and GSA’s. I had just fitted Mitas tires that work perfectly, but after only 3500 miles the rear looks to be well over half worn, on hindsight Shenko 705’s might have been a better compromise for road/dirt. I had two mechanical issue en-route the first was the battery gave out, fortunately while I was in Ashville and only 5 miles from the local BMW dealer. The second was the CanBus got confused by my accessories, fortunately my GS911 saved my ass by clearing the codes and allowing the bike to re-start. Surprisingly, I managed to avoid any spills, though I did drop the bike by mis-placing footing, the newly installed crash bars work great, and showed no evidence of any droppage, I do have a spare new set of bars if anyone is interested. All in all it was an awesome trip and I would thoroughly recommend others giving it a go.

BTW the route planning was done with GPS Kevin’s GPS card, had some minor issues but overall it worked OK. Later in the year I plan to tackle the Colorado and Utah section of the TAT, though I expect that to be rather more challenging.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
969 Posts
Sounds like a great adventure! Thanks for sharing your write-up and the photos here. (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having spent several months building an off-road capable R9T see build thread here ( Pure to Urban GS on Steroids Conversion) I finally got to complete the first leg (1/3) of the Trans America Trail (TAT).

We left from Houston and did a 3 day road trip to the Virginia / NC state line where we joined the trail to head West, this was after squeezing in the Blue Ridge Parkway, Snake and Tail of the Dragon. The route West was maybe 30% dirt, 50% single track paved roads and 20% regular roads/highways, and we finished the 10 day trip at the West side of the Ozark’s. The off-road sections where predominantly gravel roads, with little challenging terrain. Rain made conditions rather slippery in Arkansas, and a few river fords that where rather deeper than we had anticipated, but otherwise the route was plain sailing.

The modifications to the suspension worked incredibly well and I believe a modified R9T would equal the off-road ability of the bigger GS’s and GSA’s. I had just fitted Mitas tires that work perfectly, but after only 3500 miles the rear looks to be well over half worn, on hindsight Shenko 705’s might have been a better compromise for road/dirt. I had two mechanical issue en-route the first was the battery gave out, fortunately while I was in Ashville and only 5 miles from the local BMW dealer. The second was the CanBus got confused by my accessories, fortunately my GS911 saved my ass by clearing the codes and allowing the bike to re-start. Surprisingly, I managed to avoid any spills, though I did drop the bike by mis-placing footing, the newly installed crash bars work great, and showed no evidence of any droppage, I do have a spare new set of bars if anyone is interested. All in all it was an awesome trip and I would thoroughly recommend others giving it a go.

View attachment 142443 View attachment 142442

BTW the route planning was done with GPS Kevin’s GPS card, had some minor issues but overall it worked OK. Later in the year I plan to tackle the Colorado and Utah section of the TAT, though I expect that to be rather more challenging.
What kind of crash bar do you have, I did tip over twice and was thinking about adding a crash bar.
Thanks and ride safe..

·
Registered
135 Posts
WOW!!!!. What a wonderful trip!!!. Love to hear&see Pure can be tune up in "Trail". Pure "UGS Steroids", I will take an eye on it. It is the same idea I have been thinking about several times but I don´t know if it was able. Probably in future I would try to do similar thing. Thanks for sharing.

If I win lotery one day my favourite trip in EE.UU will be along Rocky Mountains? from South to North. (I´m sorry but Route 66 is not my cup of tea). Crossing several Parks: Joshua Tree, Death valley, Yellowstone, Yosemite etc etc...Even continue north heading crossing Canada and get Alaska...It has to be astonish and beautiful...

·
Registered
8 Posts
WOW!!!!. What a wonderful trip!!!. Love to hear&see Pure can be tune up in "Trail". Pure "UGS Steroids", I will take an eye on it. It is the same idea I have been thinking about several times but I don´t know if it was able. Probably in future I would try to do similar thing. Thanks for sharing.

If I win lotery one day my favourite trip in EE.UU will be along Rocky Mountains? from South to North. (I´m sorry but Route 66 is not my cup of tea). Crossing several Parks: Joshua Tree, Death valley, Yellowstone, Yosemite etc etc...Even continue north heading crossing Canada and get Alaska...It has to be astonish and beautiful...
I live very close to Route 66, mid west, nothing to see around where I live, might have to ride out further west.

·
Registered
2017 Pure
231 Posts
I live very close to Route 66, mid west, nothing to see around where I live, might have to ride out further west.
Been covering the Mother Road on and off for 15 years, it's harder to find the cool stuff than it was 50 years ago, but there's still a lot there. You can follow my series "Gems & Hidden Histories on Route 66" on this YouTube channel. Starting in Chicago, in bite size bits, adding a new bit about once a week, eventually we'll arrive in LA.

Gems & Hidden Histories on Route 66

Best,
-Tim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of crash bar do you have, I did tip over twice and was thinking about adding a crash bar.
Thanks and ride safe..
These are MotoGuard crash bars out of Germany I ordered 3 sets (long story) and still have one set left, listed on this forum if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
391 Posts

@Lelc2 that’s called “continental divide trail” or CDT. Usually done in 12-14 days. Highly recommended. Either rent a bike or go with a group, like here:
No need to win the lottery, just have a little patience until borders open up and then go for it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts