BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,689 Posts
Since my bike should become a homage to the legendary R90S I took the emblem of the famous forefather:
That is an excellent idea, and I appreciate your attention to detail, well done! (y)

The aim was that the fairing and all other body parts look like they were made of aluminum. So the gas tank, the mud guard, the hump cover and the fairing got a aluminum coating. That coating reacts like real aluminum and it can be brushed, polished etc.
That is a superb finish. Overall a nicely put together style you have chosen. It really is the Old Skool CafeRacer look you are after.

Maybe some of the old-style valve head covers? :unsure:

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Classic BMW R nineT Racer
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Truly exceptional racer! Congratulations!

You might want to take a look at some Kineo wheels, putting polished alloy ones like @kebo has on his bike would look great on the racer I think.
Tank you very much for your nice reply Dave. I thought about Kineos already but did not like the look that much. Because of that fact and the price they are off of my list.

I am looking for a wheel set of the /5 nineT. If I would find some for a reasonable price I would give it a try.

Cheers

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey folks,

thanks a lot for your great feedback. I am happy that you guys like the bike and appreciate the work I have done over month.

Right now I am thinking about a set of brownish rubber pads for the gas tank. I think that will contribute to the retro look of the bike. Here is a sample made with photoshop. What do you think?

The other day I bought another windshield which will become a transparent yellow foil.

I will post updates here.

Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Picture isn't working for the brown pads, but think it sounds a good idea to break up the silver a bit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thank you guys. Still working on some further mods. Will update soon.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Fantastic work @Bernhard, the bike looks fabulous.

So the gas tank, the mud guard, the hump cover and the fairing got a aluminum coating. That coating reacts like real aluminum and it can be brushed, polished etc.
I'm very curious to know more about this aluminium coating....brand name, how it's applied, cost etc?
Any info you can supply about it will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
@Gambo916 , you might look for liquid metal at google. There are different producers as well as different coatings (aluminium, copper, iron, brass etc.) available. Application is pretty much the same than any other paint. You might need a suitable primer. I would ask at a local paint shop or a motorcycle customizer. The guys doing airbrush and other artwork to Harley Davidsons and similar bikes might be the right people to talk to.

I don‘t know what the costs just of the material were. I paid around 800 Euros for the entire work at the customizer.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
2016 R-nineT Classic + 1984 Kawasaki ZL900
45 Posts
Sehr schönes bike Bernhard!
I'm loving the aluminium look, and I too am trying to change as much of the black on my Classic to more of that beautiful shiny material, and have changed to a brown seat as well. Where did you get the frame hole-covers from?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Sehr schönes bike Bernhard!
I'm loving the aluminium look, and I too am trying to change as much of the black on my Classic to more of that beautiful shiny material, and have changed to a brown seat as well. Where did you get the frame hole-covers from?
There you go:Schwingenlager Abdeckung Set Rechts / Links BMW R Ninet - Motorradzubehör Haderlein

I polished them though. I also changed the sleeves of the seat support to the ones of the nineT and polished them as well.

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Racer
111 Posts
Very nice build. Thnx for sharing !

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
Very nice steed indeed and well done!! And like your other Toys in that garage of yours (I spy a Porsche :cool:......there is no substitute!)

21 - 40 of 72 Posts