BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ohhh!!! Post from 2014!!!

Better not think how much you spent on bike... I prefer save money to travel. Money for gas and tires etc.

In this way I only spent on things to make more practical, comfortable and reliable...protectors, saddlebags, soft seat, windscreen etc. 1000€ aprox.

In aesthetics I don't waste money. Anyway the best thing of Ninet is that you feel investing on it is worth. Others bikes never satisfy at all although spending lots of money.

·
Premium Member
2020 BMW R9T Pure, Ali tank.
807 Posts
Tbone, What that adds up to is ... just the beginning of lots of riding joy. Somebody said “priceless” ..and I agree completely. What ?... you earned it didn’t you.... so...you think your going to take it with you? ..HaveFun GoFast StayUpOn2 until you fall over and can’t get up. Rest a little and try it again ... if you still can’t get up then maybe you better give it up. I’m telling you because that day is nearer than you think, I know and I wouldn’t want you to miss a moment of joy that riding UpOn2 gives us all. You know what I’m talking about. ✌😎🏍.....Blitz
P.S..... if it’s about the money maybe you should rethink .... how about a little Honda or Chinese bike ? Budget doesn’t fit in the same sentence with Bike ! Believe me BMW is cheaper than an airplane but just as much fun. It’s the only way to fly while still on the ground ... am I right ?
Hey, Blitz,
You do realise this thread is nearly 7 years old? Tbone’s probably moved on now.
Stay well, cheers,Ken.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Hey, Blitz,
You do realise this thread is nearly 7 years old? Tbone’s probably moved on now.
Stay well, cheers,Ken.
Yeah that’s probably true Ken but it really doesn’t change how I feel about it ... it’s more the topic for me than when it was posted. Just putting it out there while I still can. I hope I’m still here in seven years to see if anybody (like you) responds to my BS too. How cool is this internet ? Imagine the kind of bikes BMW will be making in 7 years Ken AND what there going to cost !!! ... Cheers back at ya Mate. ......Blitz

Reactions: Ken.B.

·
Registered
40 Posts
To be fair,
I’ve easily spent the same or more modding my ‘06 Triumph Bonneville that I paid <$3k for as I did on my ‘18 UGS.
So it just goes to show you, even though most parts may be a bit more expensive for the BMW — most motorcycle enthusiast mod any and every bike they get — so it’s an expense to factor in regardless of the initial cost of your bike.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think the 9T is definitely a bike that seems to attract the spending of money on modifications. For example, if I had bought a Ducati Monster 1200s or Ducati V4 or similar, other than a set of Termignoni pipes I don't think I would change anything other than sets of tyres. The 9T on the other hand, just seems to always have me thinking about the next upgrade despite costing as much as the Ducati's to begin with.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
With the exception of engine guards on my 9T I am keep in my bike stock. In the past I would customize or as a dealer friend said, "personalize" :rolleyes: my bikes. I just love my 9T as it is. In fact when I realize I would be saving several thousands of dollars by not customizing I got an extended warranty for four years.

Reactions: DomNineT

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,773 Posts
I know this is an old thread that was recently resurrected, but I'm going to answer anyway.

Going just off my memory and all the mods I can think of on the bike right now, between the purchase price of the motorcycle itself and all the mods I've installed or swapped onto the bike, I think I'm in the neighborhood of $13,500 USD.

That does not include shipping and sales tax for all the parts, service at the dealer shop, new tires I had installed earlier this year, accessories like dry bags and a rear paddock stand, a couple sets of Torx bits, a Haynes manual, and a few mods I've purchased but either not yet installed or installed but swapped out for a different mod (mirrors for example). All that together (excluding the tires and service costs) is probably another $1,000, so I'm basically into this bike for an approximate total of $14K.

😮

Yes, that's a big number, but after about 14 months (and 12,000 miles) of ownership, my R9T Pure is equipped just about how I want it long-term, and I've still spent $2K less than the MSRP of a new base model R9T "Classic." It's a lot of money, but I'm okay with it.

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
860 Posts
I'm about 17-18,000 farkles and all. I'm happy with my classic, all mods are genuine B.M.W. I will never sell so I am not concerened about a loss. cost will be returned in grins

·
Registered
219 Posts
My new 2020 Classic cost me $21,500aud out the door and i've added a little over $9,000 of accessories/mods - primarily functional but some aesthetic- front and rear suspension (Nitron/Wilbers), Gilles rearsets, outex kit, fast throttle, lower bars, rizoma mirrors, tail tidy, Unit Garage side bag, engine covers, sliders, rear hump, rizoma screen. I'd still like Kineo's, and Akra Ti headers, but that's nearly another $6k so I doubt i will 😮. Even at current spend I could have bought a Ducati Streetfighter V4S lol. But I do love the 9T.

Cheers, Dom

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,773 Posts
I wouldn't want prospective owners to see this thread and decide they can't afford an R9T of any variant, new or used. Most of us mod our motorcycles because we want to. A few mods, both cheap and expensive, are quite necessary in my opinion, but many aren't. Almost all my bike's mods are functional, but that doesn't mean I couldn't ride without them. There are no engine performance mods on my R9T Pure, so the bike runs the same as whether I kept it 100% stock.

Also, keep in mind I didn't lay out this much cash all at once. I put some money down and financed the rest of the purchase price, and I've purchased the mods along the way. I'm just about done buying and installing mods, though there could be a couple more in my future. We'll see.

I would have bought some of these mods for just about any new or used motorcycle I bought. I see it as kind of par for the course, if you will. It goes with the territory. If I'd bought a new Honda, Triumph, or Ducati, I'd have bought crash bars or sliders, a rear rack, luggage, something for wind protection, etc. Unless you buy a used bike outfitted exactly how you want it - which would be very rare in my opinion - you're probably going to spend some dough on modding your bike to your liking. I did the same with my old VFR 800, though I did far fewer mods to that machine.

So to any new and prospective R9T owners, don't freak out over these prices. If you can only afford the bike for now, that's fine. Go out and enjoy riding it, then add some mods if you want, and if and when you can afford to. It's all good. (y)

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
147 Posts
It also depends on what model/year you purchased and what you intend to do with it. For me I got a 2017 classic with 4k miles for $11k not including tax, tags and registration (it was in January and was before the used prices have gone sky high). I don't know exactly how much I've put into it but most of the money has been in 3 mods, Tail tidy/rear signals/tire hugger, exhaust and LED headlight. All in I've probably spent about $2,500-$2,750 and I'm not sure I'll be doing anything else. But as many have said this is probably what I would have done to most any bike I got.

You can also do it over time bit by bit but if you are not going to keep it long term I'd recommend not doing too much modding.

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Racer
35 Posts
All in I’m about $14000 with my rninet racer: akrapovic exhaust , flapper delete, Bren tune, gs11, tail tidy, quick turn throttle,rearset.

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
125 Posts
Generally, for me, any major hobby will recieve a slice of my surplus income.... it's just who I am.... so .... for photography it might be a lens or two each year, camera body every 3 years.

My recently purchased 2021 Scrambler will be much the same.... in the end it's just hobby money... suspension, seat, rack, pannier and maybe some headers etc etc. The real hard part is spreading out the gratfication and not getting it all at once.... but.... probally about 25% more cost after purchase.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,773 Posts
Generally, for me, any major hobby will recieve a slice of my surplus income.... it's just who I am.... so .... for photography it might be a lens or two each year, camera body every 3 years.

My recently purchased 2021 Scrambler will be much the same.... in the end it's just hobby money... suspension, seat, rack, pannier and maybe some headers etc etc. The real hard part is spreading out the gratfication and not getting it all at once.... but.... probally about 25% more cost after purchase.
I agree. Some hobbies are more expensive than others. Golf is a good example, too. I think the bonus with motorcycling is I can use the bike for basic transportation, too. And then there's the stress relief, keeping me from having to spend money on therapy. Hmm. I wonder if my motorcycle payment is tax deductible as a mental health expense... ;)

I agree it would be kind of nice to have a fully done-up bike right away, but I've found adding mods over time has helped keep me more excited about the machine I already own. Researching and installing the next thing has kept the bike kind of fresh. Plus of course I couldn't afford to spend all that money at once!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I started feeling like adding 50-75% of the new price on top for mods was a little silly, but then saw that the optional Ti Akrapovic system for the new Ducati Streetfighter V2 (which looks great and would be what i'd buy if I ever fell out of love with the 9T) is $8000- on it's own! Base price is $22k. Although I guess that's about the only upgrade you could do to that and would still be a lot cheaper than a modified 9T.

I agree with the 'spreading out the upgrades' premise by TimC - it's also always easier (mentally) to stump up incrementally more cash for upgrades than up all up front and is probably why we do it. If someone told me how much my 9T would end up costing and I had to pay that up front, i'd probably have looked at something else. If BMW did a 'HP' version, with Ohlins front and rear, the 719 rearsets and levers etc, lightweight wheels, clip ons, Titanium exhaust system etc up front (and for a good saving over upgrades) that would be awesome and end up saving people a lot of coin!

Cheers, Dom

21 - 36 of 36 Posts