BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I thought I would start a thread for my tweakings of the mighty R9T.

During this winter I've sawed of the air box and fabricated a new aluminium bracket to hold the diy- lithium battery, Power Commander and throttle wire splitter box (whatever the real name of that thing actually is ?).
Btw; I know that the diy-battery and the bracket doesn't look like much, but they both do the job well and are pretty sturdy and aren't visible once the fuel tank is in its place. It was surprisingly difficult to find mounting holes in the R9T frame to secure the bracket, but the upper mounting holes of the air box and the ECU-bracket's left side screw were perfect to get it tightly fitted. There would have been a perfectly sized hole in the back of the fuel tank to fit the battery in, but it would have been difficult to disassembly the tank if the battery would be attached to it.

Well any way, pics should tell more thousand words, so feel free to ask if there's something you want know :D
The Power Commader wires are still open and I haven't had a time time to look into it, but there's still plenty of time before starting the driving season here in Finland. Once I got it done I'm planning to get it adjusted in dyno.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more pic to show the front side of the bracket and the throttle wire splitter and PC.
Sorry about the poor pic quality..

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice job! The R nine T looks great with the cone filters.
Thanks!
That's what I thought too and it was the plan all along when I got the bike that I want to do this mod. There's just a lot more to do than what you would expect.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Hi TiM81,
Well done, this looks very clean.
Quick questions as I want to do the same:
  • what have you used to cut the air box?
  • can standard tools be used to remove the hoses/ hose clamps from the air box?
  • what is it that you have on the back of the plate? On the left it is the the power commander to fit but what is on the right?
  • did you have to lengthen the breather hose from the left cylinder head to have a filter attached to it resting in the middle of the bike?
  • is it the temp sensor you have placed in the filter?
Lots of questions but before I embark on the mod I’d like to be prepared.
Thanks a lot. Silaxe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Silaxe,

Thanks! I'll try to answer all of your questions.
  • what have you used to cut the air box?
I mainly used a Bosch PMF220 multitool for cutting the box, but also just a plain steel saw blade by hand. There's total of 4 screws holding the box in place; two in the bottom of it and two in the upper sides of it. At first I tried to cut it of as nicely as I could, doing as little damage as possible so I could maybe rescue it for later use, but it was impossible to get it of nicely, the air box has to be destroyed in the process to get it out.
  • can standard tools be used to remove the hoses/ hose clamps from the air box?
Yes, you don't really need anything special. The hose clamps between the airbox and a throttle bodies can be ripped of with needle nose pliers or grind cut with Dremel or some similar tool, but they can't be used again. The crank case breather hose's clamp is very stiff, so you'll need something stronger, like a angle nose pliers for loosening it.
  • what is it that you have on the back of the plate? On the left it is the the power commander to fit but what is on the right?
That's the throttle cable splitter box ie. the cable coming from the throttle grip is splitted in two separate wires to actuate the both throttle bodies at each side of the bike. That was actually something I wasn't aware of and it was pretty difficult part to handle, because the cables are short and I didn't know how to disassemble it. The splitter box is originally mounted on the side of the air box, so you'll need to make some kind of bracket for holding it. I cut the original fixation bracket off from the airbox and mounted it on the diy-aluminium bracket that you see in the picture attached.
  • did you have to lengthen the breather hose from the left cylinder head to have a filter attached to it resting in the middle of the bike?
I used the original hose, but lengthen it with a 20mm aluminium pipe, so that the breather filter is now a little bit higher, just below the battery. I used a bending wire inside the aluminium pipe, so I could bend the pipe a little, so it sits pretty nicely in middle of the frame. I don't know yet if the filter is high enough or not, but I'll see it in spring.
  • is it the temp sensor you have placed in the filter?
Yes, that the temperature sensor, it's located in the left sides K&N-filter. It's the original sensor, but used a bench drill as lathe to grind some plastic off of it. Kind of a redneck lathe ? It wasn't actually needed, but I wanted to do a little notch to the sensor, so it would hold it securely in place in the K&N filter body.

I hope I manage to cover all your questions and feel free to ask more details if needed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Hi TiM81,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide clear and detailed answers.
This is super helpful.

I have bit the bullet and ordered K&N filters and the airbox elimination kit from Luismoto.
I wrote to them and they indicted the throttle cable splitter box could be left loose between the battery support plate and the control unit:

"the throttle cable box you must position it freely between the battery support and the control unit, we generally stop it with a plastic clamp but it must not be tightened, the box must remain fairly free".

Strange as it is attached to the airbox in the firs place?? I prefer your approach.

I like the idea of having the temp sensor picking up the air from the filter directly.
You put it into the left filter because the cable is too short to go into the right one?

Thanks again - Cheers - Silaxe

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Silaxe,
You're welcome!
I hope the airbox elimination kit is easier to install.

That splitter box mounting is clearly something that hasn't been thought much in Luismoto. I wouldn't left it hanging on loose, even though I guess it doesn't need much to hold it in place. Few zip ties could possibly be enough, but there's not much to secure them on, just the cables coming from ECU.

Yes, the air temp sensor wires are too short to be routed to right side, so left sides filter was an obvious choice.

Feel free to ask more if anything comes in mind.

Regards,
TiM

·
Registered
930 Posts
Ok, so I thought I would start a thread for my tweakings of the mighty R9T.

During this winter I've sawed of the air box and fabricated a new aluminium bracket to hold the diy- lithium battery, Power Commander and throttle wire splitter box (whatever the real name of that thing actually is ?).
Btw; I know that the diy-battery and the bracket doesn't look like much, but they both do the job well and are pretty sturdy and aren't visible once the fuel tank is in its place. It was surprisingly difficult to find mounting holes in the R9T frame to secure the bracket, but the upper mounting holes of the air box and the ECU-bracket's left side screw were perfect to get it tightly fitted. There would have been a perfectly sized hole in the back of the fuel tank to fit the battery in, but it would have been difficult to disassembly the tank if the battery would be attached to it.

Well any way, pics should tell more thousand words, so feel free to ask if there's something you want know :D
The Power Commader wires are still open and I haven't had a time time to look into it, but there's still plenty of time before starting the driving season here in Finland. Once I got it done I'm planning to get it adjusted in dyno.
Only one quick question Tim81, have you gotten caught in a heavy rain ? Seems like those filters are going to get soaked pretty quickly. Will they hold up soaked and lots of air being drawn through that wet paper. Not sure but I think that’s why they buried the filter in a box with the snorkel the primary source of outside air. Your not going to get many drops or even vapor thru that snork... not enough to wet the filter anyway. Looks great but I wonder how practical except for pretty days or reserved for the track ... Get back to us after you’ve gotten caught in a down poor stuck in traffic ... I like the look and even the idea ....but ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only one quick question Tim81, have you gotten caught in a heavy rain ? Seems like those filters are going to get soaked pretty quickly. Will they hold up soaked and lots of air being drawn through that wet paper. Not sure but I think that’s why they buried the filter in a box with the snorkel the primary source of outside air. Your not going to get many drops or even vapor thru that snork... not enough to wet the filter anyway. Looks great but I wonder how practical except for pretty days or reserved for the track ... Get back to us after you’ve gotten caught in a down poor stuck in traffic ... I like the look and even the idea ....but ?
Yeah I know what you mean and that's what I've been told before, but I don't see it as too big of a problem. I'm not going to drive in heavy rain, but I know that it's still going to happen at some point sooner or later and for that reason I also bought K&N's dry charger kit to protect the filters from soaking up too much. They are still not waterproof, but I still don't see it as a huge threat. I had K&N's in my old bike too (Honda CB900F) and didn't have any problems with them.

I will report back here once I get soaked wet and hopefully still be able to drive home ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I used to have bellmouths on my Norton, swallowing a bit of water, a combustion engine can handle that

·
Registered
92 Posts
I thought that changing inlet length with aftermarket filters can greatly effect engine tune ?
You will effect the torque curve, probably upsetting low/mid range power with the shorter effective length.

lots of info on google search
see an example
Blog - Emerald Adjustable Length Intake Trumpet Development

Many cars now have variable length inlet systems and they wont do that on a whim.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean and that's what I've been told before, but I don't see it as too big of a problem. I'm not going to drive in heavy rain, but I know that it's still going to happen at some point sooner or later and for that reason I also bought K&N's dry charger kit to protect the filters from soaking up too much. They are still not waterproof, but I still don't see it as a huge threat. I had K&N's in my old bike too (Honda CB900F) and didn't have any problems with them.

I will report back here once I get soaked wet and hopefully still be able to drive home ?
Is that like water proofing for the paper ...? Never considered that. Great idea ! I water proofed some paper maps a while back and was amazed when I got them soaked and they were fine almost like wet fabric. Great idea. Great idea! That could actually be the answer. There is a new chemistry available that’s actually a water and dirt repellant, I’ll look into to it to be sure it doesn’t affect the porosity or plug the filter. That’s a great idea....... Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought that changing inlet length with aftermarket filters can greatly effect engine tune ?
You will effect the torque curve, probably upsetting low/mid range power with the shorter effective length.

lots of info on google search
see an example
Blog - Emerald Adjustable Length Intake Trumpet Development

Many cars now have variable length inlet systems and they wont do that on a whim.
Yes, I'm aware of this, but decided not care about it :oops:
I'm doing the air filter mod mainly just because of the looks of it. I'm hoping that I can re-adjust the worst negative side effects away with the PowerCommander.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that like water proofing for the paper ...? Never considered that. Great idea ! I water proofed some paper maps a while back and was amazed when I got them soaked and they were fine almost like wet fabric. Great idea. Great idea! That could actually be the answer. There is a new chemistry available that’s actually a water and dirt repellant, I’ll look into to it to be sure it doesn’t affect the porosity or plug the filter. That’s a great idea....... Thanks
K&N makes their own Dry Charger accessory precisely meant for these pod filters (RC-3680 & RC-3680DK). You can see it in the picture attached. It's kind of like a pouch that you put on the pod filter. I tested it under running water and even though some water goes through it, mostly it just drops of from it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Hi TiM81,
As I plan for making the mod I have still another few questions:
You used a 20mm pipe to extend the breather pipe. I though the interior diameter of the original hose was 22mm. Can you please confirm wheather it is 22 or 20?
I like what you did with the temp sensor. Did you make the hole in the lower part of the filter or the upper side?
Thanks - Silaxe

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi TiM81,
As I plan for making the mod I have still another few questions:
You used a 20mm pipe to extend the breather pipe. I though the interior diameter of the original hose was 22mm. Can you please confirm whether it is 22 or 20?
I like what you did with the temp sensor. Did you make the hole in the lower part of the filter or the upper side?
Thanks - Silaxe
Hi Silaxe,
No problem, I'll try to answer if I can.
The inner diameter of the hose coming from the breather is 22mm, so that would be the correct measure. I just happen to have short aluminum pipe with 20mm outer diameter available and it's close enough to tighten the clamps around it, so i decided to use that.

Yes, I drilled a hole in to the filter's rubber flange. I'm not sure what the drill size was, but I think it was something close to 12mm. I'm not sure how well the original temp sensor will fit to it, but I think it can be mounted the same way. As you can see from the picture attached previously, I drilled the hole little out of line from the center line of the filter, because I thought that there should be a little more room for it. Once I got it finished it looked like it didn't make much of a difference.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Thanks TiM81,
Very clear for the hose.
With the filter mounted, the sensor is low (ie lower part of the filter) or high.
I know your filter is symmetrical but I have chosen a model (RE-0960) where K&N is written on the end cap so I have an upper part and a lower part.
Thanks - Silaxe
filtre-a-air-k-n-re-0960-universel-chrome.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks TiM81,
Very clear for the hose.
With the filter mounted, the sensor is low (ie lower part of the filter) or high.
I know your filter is symmetrical but I have chosen a model (RE-0960) where K&N is written on the end cap so I have an upper part and a lower part.
Thanks - Silaxe
View attachment 129618
The sensor is mounted to the lower part of the filter. That way it's practically invisible, because it sits behind the throttle valve position sensor's connector (you can just see it, if you look closely at the last picture attached). Also if you'd put it in upper side of the filter the fuel injector would be blocking it.

I was also looking at those black top filters, which actually looks better than the chrome tops, but decided to go with the cheaper ones ?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts