BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Silaxe,
One thing that haven't mention yet is the fact that the filter on the left side of the bike comes very close to the bike's frame and is actually little more difficult to install there. The throttle body's rubber base gives a little bit room that eases installing, but still I had to flatten those filter paper "fins" by hand from behind the filter. I have no picture to show of this, so I hope it's understandable what I'm trying to say. The filter sits so close to the frame, that it would touch it and maybe grind it a bit while driving, if the filter is not pushed just a little bit flat from the back. I think you'll be able see this when you get the original air box and hoses off the bike.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Hi TiM81,
Great so I know where to make the hole for the sensor on the filter.
And thanks for the heads up on the install. I understood what you mean - very clear.

Additional edit:
Managed to secure a cheap temp sensor which I have just received and now understand the merit of your home lathe. Did you grind it to the tip diameter? Was it difficult or not so and finally did you insert it all the way Into the filter? It would seem so from your last pic.

Best - Silaxe

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Hi TiM81,
This is where I am at with the sensor.
Managed to cut excess plastic and sand it so that it is pretty cylindrical.
Have you made it even thiner?
Cheers - Silaxe

PS: Actually after reviewing your pictures I think it is all clear. Will use the notch halfway through the body to secure the sensor in the filter. Cheers.

Image.jpeg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi TiM81,
This is where I am at with the sensor.
Managed to cut excess plastic and sand it so that it is pretty cylindrical.
Have you made it even thiner?
Cheers - Silaxe

PS: Actually after reviewing your pictures I think it is all clear. Will use the notch halfway through the body to secure the sensor in the filter. Cheers.

View attachment 129791
Hi Silaxe,
Nice job! I'm glad to hear that you find my homemade lathe and other tweaks useful! :D (y)

Your sensors diameter looks to be very close to mine.
I'm not sure if its clearly visible in the picture attached, but I also widened the slot for the sensor O-ring and made a notch to front of it to better stay in place. The notch is a little bit thinner to get it through the hole in the filter. I don't have any actual measurement of how much wider the slot is, but I'd guess it's only something like 1-2mm. In retrospect I should have make it just a little bit more wider, because the rubber flange on filter was pretty thick and the notch didn't reach through it, but on the other hand now it sits very securely and tightly in the filter. So in other words the sensor gets mounted in to the filter so that about half of the sensor is inside the filter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Hi TiM81,
Your tips have been super useful.
The groove is 3.5mm to start with and needs to get to 5.5/6mm for the notch to sit properly on the other side of the filter wall which is indeed super thick.

Also for reference if anyone needs to do this, the tip of the sensor is 9mm in diameter and the groove falls to 8mm in diameter. The notch is grinded down from 13mm to 10mm.

Finally the hole is 8.5/9mm although I used a 10mm drill bit to make it. I placed it 6.5mm from the edge of the flange so that the whole sensor sits fine against the flange once inserted in the filter.

Voila. Very happy with the result and thanks again as I had no idea how to go about it.
Cheers - Silaxe

IMG_2842.jpeg IMG_2844.jpeg IMG_2847.jpeg IMG_2848.jpeg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Silaxe,
Happy to help you!
Looks like you did a perfect job! 😃(y)
Now that there's also the actual measurements available it's easier for others do the same modification if they want to.

CHeers,
Tim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Silaxe,
I'd be interested to see how does that Luismoto battery bracket looks like. Have you had a chance to install it yet?

Btw: I found it very difficult to get a proper sized pipe to replace the exhaust flapper valve, so I had to buy one from Ebay. I ordered it from Germany's Ebay and just received it yesterday. Gonna replace the valve this weekend, which should be easy to do, because I already had it apart previously. Just wanted to mention that replacement part from Ebay was 40€ (costs a lot more in many other sites) and I think it was machined in lathe to get exactly correct diameter, so it should fit perfectly. I'm not sure if its allowed to say here, but seller's name was www_matotec_com, if someones interested.
Have you replaced the flapper valve or are you intending to do so?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Silaxe,
I'd be interested to see how does that Luismoto battery bracket looks like. Have you had a chance to install it yet?
Have you replaced the flapper valve or are you intending to do so?
Hi TiM81,
I attach a few pictures so that you can see how it looks.
I have not installed it yet as I was waiting to do my sensor/filter mod and needed some parts to extend the breather hose. I am a bit surprised it comes with no washers and would have preferred some Torx head bolts (2 M6x40 and 1 M6x20) to keep with the look of the bike. May change that before mounting.

Upon closer look, the bottom lower leg is not perpendicular to the base plate and I have written today to Luismoto to ask whether this is normal or not. If not I may need to do a bit of bending hoping the welding is strong...

With regards to the flapper valve, I actually plan to keep it.

Cheers - Silaxe

IMG_2859.jpeg IMG_2860.jpeg IMG_2862.jpeg IMG_2863.jpeg IMG_2864.jpeg

Battery replacement kit.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Silaxe,
Thanks for the pics!
It's interesting to see how other people have decided to attach the battery after the air box removal. If I understand it correctly those two side fixation points connects to the air box's upper connecting points (odd that they have used separate nuts and no threads inside the bracket), but I can't quite get it where the lower leg is supposed to connect. It looks like it would be possible to bend it a little to get it fitted, but obviously it's worth to ask it about it form the seller.

I installed the flapper valve replacement pipe and was only able to briefly test run it, but you could definitely hear the different. Not sure if the neighbors like it though 😅

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I can't quite get it where the lower leg is supposed to connect.
It looks like it would be possible to bend it a little to get it fitted, but obviously it's worth to ask it about it form the seller.
Hi TiM81,
The lower leg connects to the lower left attachement point where the original airbox was attached.
I asked Luismoto and they came back saying it was fine so should be good.

Well done on the flapper valve. I use my helmet's audio and anything louder than stock makes it impossible to hear anything.
Cheers - Silaxe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Silaxe,
Oh I see, the leg reaches all the way to the lower fixation point. That also explains why it's designed to be so round and not going straight down there; to make it less visible once it's in place. Thanks for the explanation!

I know what you mean. I like to use bluetooth in-ear headset when I ride and I'm hoping it won't disturb that too much. I don't think it should, because the flapper mostly affect to the low end rpm's.
Cheers,
TiM

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Silaxe,
Are you going to leave the air intake snorkel like it is or going to replace it with something? I intended to make some kind of glass fiber cover to replace the snorkel, but I haven't had a chance to even start it yet, so I'm not sure if I just end up using the snorkel for now..

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Hi TiM81,
I actually like the air intake so I think I will leave it as is even though it’s functionality will be somewhat limited :unsure:
Silaxe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I agree, even though it lacks the functionality it still looks good. I read somewhere around the forum that someone reported that after the air box removal snorkel directed air flow inside the bike's frame, which he felt disturbing at higher speeds. So it might need to be clogged to prevent unnecessary air flow through it. It'll be interesting to see how it behaves.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So I decided to try and make a diy-cover after all for the snorkel. There's gonna be a lot of sanding to do, but I think it looks like it just might work. I know it doesn't follow the lines of the tank, but I don't think that's necessary. It's hard to see the actual shape of the cover from the picture attached, but I'll add more once I proceed with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Some progress pics, still needs to be sanded and repainted and to be honest I'm still not sure whether I actually like it or not. Any opinions?
I already ordered some Black Storm Metallic to paint it same color as tank, but now I'm thinking it might look better as mat black.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Hi TiM81,
This is good - What material are you using?
I would definitely go for matt black to "replicate" the cover on the left side of the tank.
Cheers - Silaxe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks Silaxe!
It's made out of fiberglass. I used the aluminium part of the snorkel as part of the mold and tried to add some concave shape to it. I just bought some semi-gloss black paint and I'm gonna try out how it looks with it. After that it's gonna be mat black 😅
Cheers

21 - 39 of 39 Posts