BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems like BMW is on a tear lately, updating and refreshing all their models. I thought it was just the sport models but was surprised to see the 1200r also getting refreshed. What do you think the chances are we get a new rNineT this year? I think if they announce one more model refresh I’d be convinced that it’s going to happen.

· Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,223 Posts
I’ve been enquiring all over the place about this lately over here in Bavaria, where the experts sit. None of the dealers has heard anything about a 100 year anniversary present yet. Nothing‘s going to be announced in 2022 anymore, (as both big Fall trade shows in Cologne and Milano have now passed without) but then our beloved 90-year present also came out a year too late back in 2014. So… there’s still hope…

· Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,321 Posts
I'm no expert, but I doubt we'll see many changes to the R9T the next few years. They just updated the engine to make it Euro 5 compliant in 2021, and added options to the lineup. I can see them offering a special anniversary edition, but no major changes to the rest of the R9T models.

· Registered
116 Posts
I believe sometime in the next 6 months or sooner they’ll announce the new MY24 1300 motor in the GS and/or the R. There are already decent leaks on the 1300GS, and a historically reputable source on another forum is leaking production dates already (plus lots of details on features, tech, suspension, etc.). I believe it was said the new GS will start production around July or august 2023 as MY24 with the new fully water cooled 1300 engine. They may delay announcements to maintain MY22/23 sales as best they can.

Im really curious to see what happens to the R9T lineup over the next 5+ years as well. How long can they make emissions regulations with the current cam head? Maybe a long time, who knows. But once it no longer meets emissions it’ll be interesting to see what BMW does. The R18/R12 motors don’t seem like a good fit characteristic / performance wise. Using the partial water cooled 1250 introduces larger radiators and it’ll be hard to maintain the classic retro look. Plus, there could be too much overlap between the R9T and the 1250/1300R. Although triumph did a decent job keeping clean/minimal looks with the speed twin, as did Kawasaki with the Z900RS. Both liquid cooled with decent radiator positioning. I suspect they can continue to modify the cam head to last a while longer. But I really know nothing!!

· Premium Member
372 Posts
I'd love to see a 100 year anniversary R9T offered as a Racer (front cowl, rearsets, clip ons etc) with Ohlins or similar performance forks and shock, Akra full Ti system (with removable CAT), aluminium tank, lightweight forged alloy or carbon wheels, carbon cowl and trim, Brembo radial brakes and master cylinders, 125hp, plus some nice aesthetic touches - plus a more advanced TC system that is less intrusive and recognises the difference between front and rear slip and allows the front to come up etc.

Yes please.

Cheers, Dom

· Registered
440 Posts
I'd love to see a 100 year anniversary R9T
First model R32 black with white pin striping and a silver motor block - yet no 9T out of stock with this design. Who knows?

... offered as a Racer (front cowl, rearsets, clip ons etc) with Ohlins or similar performance forks and shock, Akra full Ti system (with removable CAT), aluminium tank, lightweight forged alloy or carbon wheels, carbon cowl and trim, Brembo radial brakes and master cylinders, 125hp, plus some nice aesthetic touches - plus a more advanced TC system that is less intrusive and recognises the difference between front and rear slip and allows the front to come up etc.
Dream on - visionary 🥰

· Registered
519 Posts
100th anniversary, I'd reckon any "updates" to the R9T would be cosmetic. What would be a worry is any so called environmental changes due to continuing EU and other countries' requirements. We are pressured into guilt for using so called fossil fuels. I'm thinking EV bikes will be the norm sooner than anticipated.

· Registered
116 Posts
There’s a forum member on advrider (and lots of other forums) that leaks bmw information. Apparently, he’s been doing this accurately for years on the car side and has now been helping out on the motorcycle side. Although I cannot personally guarantee his sources, if you look up his previous leaks over the last decade he’s been leaking accurate information consistently. I’ve been following his posts regarding the R1300GS where he leaked a ton of data on this as well. This is what he says on the R NineT:

R nineT's replacement is coming in Fall 2023. A small name change to "R 12 nineT", a new motor with the same power output, new electronics, digital dashboard. It will be joined by the new R 12 (no "nineT" - cruiser?) using very similar hardware.

Both are planned to stay in production for 10 years.

· Registered
116 Posts
Um, that sounds pretty dumb IMO. I would almost prefer they drop the nineT part of the name if they adopt the R12 branding for it. It's just clumsy sounding.
I don't disagree. Perhaps naming isn't quite finalized yet. I'm also wondering if this "new motor" is a derivative of the R18 platform, or if this rumored R12 lineup is actually just using a redesigned / EURO 6 compliant version of the camhead.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That makes sense. I figure either they would announce one now or next year. The mottorad Instagram just put up a teaser for another new unreleased bike that they will reveal this week. Just seems like they’re refreshing the whole lineup, regardless of anniversaries etc.

· Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,223 Posts
Some more speculation to support the previous “leak” i posted. So far the info is consistent.

Branding is a tricky thing, but this makes sense, thanks for digging that up @Instarand ! And usually BMW gets that very right and consistent - just think about their car lineup over the decades.

Time to create R12owners.com then?😉
But what happens to all of us?!?
🦕?

Maybe we need to have a creative session on how to combine the 2 target forum groups, not to be “oblivionated”…

1 - 19 of 19 Posts