BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

It seems lots of people are upgrading the stock suspension on their bikes. Is it necessary only for pre-2017 versions or would new ones also benefit from it? If I'm not mistaken they changed the suspension in 2017, right? I'm just asking because I'm considering buying a R nine T and I'm trying to figure out what things I need extra so I know what budget I need for my bike. Thanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Your budget should be double the purchase price of your bike because that is what you will ultimately end up spending.

OK, for a serious answer to your question: the 2017 comes with an adjustable front suspension. Not great but it is an improvement over the non-adjustable front forks on earlier R nine Ts. The rear shock is still the cheap, stiff boat anchor used on earlier models; so you will likely want to replace the rear shock as soon as you can afford to do so.

I took my R nine T to an experienced suspension tuner shortly after I took delivery. He softened the rear shock as much as possible and removed the sponginess in the front forks. The ride was noticeably better after these adjustments. I have been riding with the adjusted stock suspension for three months now and find it acceptable; but I know it could be much better. I'm currently researching quality suspension upgrades, and it looks like the choice is between Ohlins and Wilber's. There is a lot of good information about both manufacturers on this forum.

Lighter tubeless wheels will also improve the ride/handling. I am going to order a set of forged aluminum PVM wheels at the same time I order the suspension components. (See how easy it is to double the purchase price of your bike? You thought I was joking!)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your budget should be double the purchase price of your bike because that is what you will ultimately end up spending.

:hellno: Lol. I have to spend 30k+ € (15k for the bike and 15k for upgrades) to get a good handling bike? That ain't gonna happen I'm afraid. The Thruxton R is getting more tempting every day :unsure:
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good info so far, but I'll offer the counterpoint that the suspension does not "need" to be upgraded. I have a 2014 with stock suspension (purchased it barely used 2 months ago and have put 4000 miles on already) and I find the bike to immensely fun and satisfying to ride, at all speeds. I've been riding for many years (former racer) and can more then keep up with equally experienced riders on higher-spec bikes (S1000RRs, etc) on fast B roads/canyons on my nineT. I'm working a little harder and I have to focus and concentrate a bit more, but to me that's what makes motorcycling fun.

I did lots of research before buying the bike and thought I'd certainly have to replace the suspension right away, but after actually riding the thing and learning how it wants to be ridden, that's just not the case. It's incredibly rewarding if you're smooth with brake and throttle application, but does not react well to abrupt inputs. It's forced me to re-learn good technique and I'm having a blast on it.

That said, I'll likely upgrade the springs and internal oil and valving soon, but I no longer plan to go out and spend thousands on an all new fork and shock.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Regardless of the money you add to the R nine T you will never reach the handling, breaking, acceleration, deep sound, fit and finish, and smoothness of the Thruxton R.

You should buy the R nine T because you like it's spirit, look, whimsical attitude and of course the boxer cylinders sticking out. And you are not bothered vibrating mirrors. The R nine T is the wrong buy if it doesn't excite you on its own merits and you struggle to transform it into something else.

I love both as they are.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Having struggled to keep up with Greymachine on a ride through the Santa Monica mountains, I can safely say that no matter how good the bike I am on, Mr. G will quickly disappear over the horizon ahead of me. He is indeed an excellent rider who knows how to get the very best from whatever he is riding.

You certainly don't need to spend many thousands of dollars to improve the suspension on the R nine T. $2000 to $2,500 should get you a better rear shock and new front fork internals. Reading the comments from other forum members who have upgraded their suspensions, I have yet to see one post from someone who regretted the upgrade and wished they could return the bike to its stock configuration. If you are going to spend any money at all on new parts for an R nine T, suspension should be at the top of your list.

My half-joking comment about doubling the purchase price of an R nine T was prompted by seeing a local dealer's project bike sporting full Ohlins suspension, Wunderlich fairing, leather seat, many Rizoma bling parts and custom paint. The replacement parts and custom work pushed the list price beyond $32,000. The bike is still sitting unsold months later, despite a price reduction of nearly $10,000. We can debate the wisdom of that "investment" from an owner's point of view, but I bet a lot of R nine T owners ordered parts for their own bikes after seeing them on that project bike; so perhaps it makes economic sense from the dealer's point of view. And someone will eventually end up with a really sweet deal on a unique motorcycle.

The beauty of the R nine T is that it can be ridden and enjoyed in stock form or transformed into a completely different bike. A roadster this year can become a cafe racer or tourer next year. I plan to keep mine for many years, which is why I am willing to spend the additional money necessary to make it exactly what I want.

I haven't ridden the new Thruxton R, but I want to take a test ride. It looks like a very appealing bike.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I agree the R9T can be hustled well on the stock suspension, no problem.

The behaviour of the front end under braking on bumpy B-roads isn't ideal in stock non-adjustable form and I found it easy to use all of the suspension travel on the front despite the fact I weigh 70kg, so don't consider myself a lard arse. No big drama but it isn't great from stock, nor is the rear shock, it's adequate and that's about all.

I spent £600 on Ohlins springs and a revalve front and back, keeping the rear shock just with the revalve and spring and the handling is loads better to the point where I don't feel the need to do anything else. I did the same on my last bike, a VTR1000, for the same reason.

I don't consider the outlay excessive vs. the cost of the bike.

Horses for courses

Marky Mark

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
First thing I did was get stock suspension revalved/resprung for me and dialed in, all up cost me AU$900. Money well spent on any bike, to get it set up for you.

Whilst I concede its not as good as the top end products, its transformed the bike completely. Although there is always more improvement to be had above the seat than below!

On the other hand, I bought this bike adamant i'll keep this one stock. 12 months on its been really tough to stick to my guns (and ultimately I wont) so know that the temptation to customise it is strong, and its not a bike you'll be happy throwing $30 mirrors on... So once you start, it has the propensity to get expensive!

Best of luck with your decision,
Tony

·
Registered
592 Posts
The stock suspension is fine at spirited road speeds on smooth roads. Its when you are at 8/10th when you notice the limitations. Or when the roads become rough.
I got a set of S1000RR fronts with stock internals and Welbers rears, however I played with the air gap to suit my weight and riding style. I wouldn't go back to stock setup.

S1000RR fronts are fairly cheap and common on Fleabay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi tony
I am also in Sydney. Agree that the Rnine t doesn't necessarily need top of the line suspension components but definitely needs some changes to both ends. Would you please let me know what you had done and where?
Thanks micko

·
Registered
428 Posts
Regardless of the money you add to the R nine T you will never reach the handling, breaking, acceleration, deep sound, fit and finish, and smoothness of the Thruxton R.

You should buy the R nine T because you like it's spirit, look, whimsical attitude and of course the boxer cylinders sticking out. And you are not bothered vibrating mirrors. The R nine T is the wrong buy if it doesn't excite you on its own merits and you struggle to transform it into something else.

I love both as they are.
Don't know whose Thruxton you're comparing the R Nine to but mine with RR forks fitted handles much better then my friends Thruxton and only cost me £300 off eBay, plus on acceleration my R Nine is quicker. Fit and finish on my R Nine is equally as good as the Triumph if not better, oh, and my mirrors don't vibrate either and my bike sounds better than his now I've got Black Widow headers fitted at£295. Not once did I struggle to transform my bike for the better.;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mine. I ride both back to back all the time and often the same day.

My comments are pro-enjoyment of the R nine T, not the other way around.

But there is truly no comparison in acceleration, suspension, brakes, fit and finish, etc. The R nine T is louder but the Thruxton R has a much deeper note (sounds like a bigger engine). And at least in my R nine T, the mirrors vibrate.

None of that matters. It is a great fun and lovable bike. And if you covered all the gap vs your friend's Thruxton R with $330 forks from ebay even better!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I would suggest the need of upgrading the suspension would depend largely of where and how you ride.

If you like to push the bike hard n fast, or you ride on bumpy or potholed roads, then I would say you'd probably feel the need for suspender upgrades.

However, if you only ever pootle about a fairly slow cruisey pace, or ride on lovely silky smooth bump free roads, then modding the suspension may not be such a necessity.

Horses for courses.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info y'all! It was not my intention to make this into a R nine T vs Thruxton R topic. Sorry 'bout that. All I wanted to know is if the R9T's stock suspension is really that terrrible to begin with. Buying a new bike allready is expensive (for me anyway) and if I can wait to upgrade the shocks I'll probably do that. I appreciate everyone's opinion and since everyone is different opinions may differ and that's ok.

·
Administrator
11,349 Posts
Agree it depends on how hard you ride and what the roads are like where you ride. If you more of a cruiser than a racer then suspension modification isn't as important. As long as you are smooth with the 9T and don't brake hard into the corners (get braking done before you tip in) then the front isn't too bad. The bigger problem (for me at least) was the rear (and how it affected my rear!). Some tweaking of the tyre pressure and damping adjustment makes a noticeable (but not huge) improvement when hitting pot holes in the road but again this is mitigated somewhat if you aren't thrashing the life out of the bike and taking it easy.

The stock suspension is on the lower side of average, can be lived with (and is accepted as fine by some) but can easily be improved on if you feel the need.

The 9T in stock form is still an awesome bike.

·
Registered
183 Posts
With the UGS' having longer travel in the rear, my worst situation (and really not that bad) was with the front off-road. Going faster than I should have, on a drop, I hit a 2 foot rut squarely. The front bottomed out. The bike was controllable and comfortable but I just hear the clank of having exhausted all fork travel.

Still, more noise than anything. Amazed how nimble, small and compliant it feels off-road (particularly sitting all the way close to the tank and with the OEM risers). Sometimes I forget it feels like a 650cc (clanks aside).

PS: going back to watch the weather. My boat is in Tortola (British Virgin Islands) in the eye of hurricane Irma now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alexnic, hopefully everything is gonna be all right for you and your family! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank you.

I'm back in the US but the boat is there. No news or pictures. From what tidbits I hear it was mayhem and destruction.

Fortunately, almost no casualties.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts