BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I did not like the open space under the seat when looking from behind, so for my setup I bought a Rizoma undertail which closes the back and sides off nicely.
Have a look in the Barracuda thread if you are interested.
Yeah that's a nice option.. i do wonder or i can still use the original indicators in that setup though.
If i re-make my bracket to be a bit longer; it should work?

Also the price point.. 100+ euro's for a piece of plastic o_O
If there's any other options for an undertail im all open for it.

·
Registered
2019 BMW R NineT (Classic)
215 Posts
Hey @Chris. i think the fender is looking fantastic one way or another.

With an undertail it would look better in my opinion and an alternative solution is to find a second hand oem tail
and trim it with a handsaw to the shape you want it. Believe me it's quite easy and also (maybe) it can provide you
with a better positioning of the turning signals as in my eyes they seem a little too far back under the passengers seat.

Kudos for fabricating your brackets though. They seem really nice.

I am really considering that fender as well but i am hesitating as i like my bike the way it is right now.

When you have the time write us please how much protection provides from waters in the back.

( painted in white it would be a perfect match also :) )

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hey @Chris. i think the fender is looking fantastic one way or another.

With an undertail it would look better in my opinion and an alternative solution is to find a second hand oem tail
and trim it with a handsaw to the shape you want it. Believe me it's quite easy and also (maybe) it can provide you
with a better positioning of the turning signals as in my eyes they seem a little too far back under the passengers seat.

Kudos for fabricating your brackets though. They seem really nice.

I am really considering that fender as well but i am hesitating as i like my bike the way it is right now.

When you have the time write us please how much protection provides from waters in the back.

( painted in white it would be a perfect match also :) )
I already have the Rizoma undertail in the shopping basket so to speak.. i saw a guy selling one second hand.. waiting for that first. I get one either way.

Will update when riding in the rain. If you get this fender beware that it's a kind of a "b*tch" to mount.. the screws dont exactly line up and it needs some "finessing" to make it work. Other than that for the money (compared to other fenders) it is a really sweet deal.

Anyhow; tomorrow is sticker day! (more on that tomorrow)

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,312 Posts
Yeah that's a nice option.. i do wonder or i can still use the original indicators in that setup though.
Yes you can, there are flat sides at the back of the undertail that are ideal for the indicators.
You just need to drill the holes and I would recommend washers on the inside for strength.

Reactions: Chris.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes you can, there are flat sides at the back of the undertail that are ideal for the indicators.
You just need to drill the holes and I would recommend washers on the inside for strength.
By the way a different question.
While mounting i ran into some issues.
  • The bolt going through the bottom into the seat goes in at an angle.. you gotta hold the fender upwards so the black metal strip bends and you are allowed to screw the thing in.. requires some force.
  • At my bike the rear light cable did not reach (not even close) i had to extend the cable by at least 15 centimeters and ended up extending it by 30 for nicer routing.
  • At european licence plates; the rear light shines directly ontop of the plate.. (not good for the cops ;)). So i gotta mount some spacers inbetween to make the rear light come backwards a bit.
  • I replaced most of the hardware that came with the fender with stainless torx bolts (or going to for the remaining ones) the hardware supplied is "meh" at best. The result:

Did you have any of these issues?

Already forwarded these problems to Barracuda but no reply yet..

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,312 Posts
  • The bolt going through the bottom into the seat goes in at an angle.. you gotta hold the fender upwards so the black metal strip bends and you are allowed to screw the thing in.. requires some force.
Not that I remember. The whole thing did require alot of 'jigging' to get everything to line up, but no major force. I did use an allen head bolt to go into the seat, and I have an allen key on the bike in case.
  • At my bike the rear light cable did not reach (not even close) i had to extend the cable by at least 15 centimeters and ended up extending it by 30 for nicer routing.
I had to stretch the cable as far as possible, mine only just reached.
  • At european licence plates; the rear light shines directly ontop of the plate.. (not good for the cops ;)). So i gotta mount some spacers inbetween to make the rear light come backwards a bit.
Not a problem for mine.
  • I replaced most of the hardware that came with the fender with stainless torx bolts (or going to for the remaining ones) the hardware supplied is "meh" at best. The result:
Mine still looks ok, no signs of rust, but I do keep my bike dry.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts