BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Upgraded the rear shock a while back so now finally decided to upgrade the front forks on my Urban too. The harsh ride and bottoming out has left me feeling distinctly underwhelmed.

I have fork ‘emulators’ coming from YSS Suspension and whilst I have the forks stripped down I’m going to fit progressive springs from ‘Hyperpro’.
Total cost should be under £200 ( U.K.) including new oil.
I will post up the strip down, modification and rebuild to help others then I’ll do a ride report.

Ive a background in engineering and confident of my ability to do the work, however I’ve not stripped out forks before but I am aware these fork are very basic in their build but to help me get my head round it before I start it would help to have a parts diagram etc.
Does anyone have an ‘exploded’ parts diagram or a link they could post up to assist.
Or if anyone has stripped out these forks (Urban/Scrambler/Pure etc) before and has info that would assist.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi all.
Upgraded the rear shock a while back so now finally decided to upgrade the front forks on my Urban too. The harsh ride and bottoming out has left me feeling distinctly underwhelmed.

I have fork ‘emulators’ coming from YSS Suspension and whilst I have the forks stripped down I’m going to fit progressive springs from ‘Hyperpro’.
I will post up the strip down, modification and rebuild to help others then I’ll do a ride report.

Ive a background in engineering and confident of my ability to do the work, however I’ve not stripped out forks before but I am aware these fork are very basic in their build but to help me get my head round it before I start it would help to have a parts diagram etc.
Does anyone have an ‘exploded’ parts diagram or a link they could post up to assist.
Or if anyone has stripped out these forks (Urban/Scrambler/Pure etc) before and has info that would assist.

Thanks guys.
Ive done the same fork upgrade and found it well worth doing, a massive improvement.
You don't need to strip the fork tubes out as you can get to the damper rod by simply removing the fork topnut, spacers and spring, then release the bottom allen bolt that is up through the axle on each fork. This is tricky and you may need an impact wrench as its a small allen key and its tight with a risk of burring it with a normal allen key.
Once this is undone the damper rods drop out the top of the fork. You need to drill the bottom damper rod holes larger and add another two holes. Its a pain to get rid of swarfe from the drilling.
Be aware there is an aluminium spacer still in the bottom of the forks that is loose now you removed the bottom allen bolt. When reassembling you have to juggle this spacer into the centre line. This spacer sits between the damper rod and the bottom of the fork and acts as the hydraulic anti-bottoming. You cant see it or get to it unless you completely strip the sliders out but it will line up and tighten fine with the sliders fully collapsed. Simply reassemble and enjoy.

I changed preload spacers to get to 40mm rider on sag with my weight. I also used 10w fork oil and reduced oil level to 150mm air gap (only needs about 500cc oil each leg). I backed off the YSS damper settings to 2 turns on the spring bolts.

Propilot have some good pictures of the standard fork components with their ohlins product page toward the bottom of the page

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Hocks.

Thanks a million. Your a star.
Can I message you again later if I may If I get stuck? ( be a while yet, busy for a few weeks)

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,601 Posts
Have a look at this....

This is from the ReaOEM site, link below as there are other diagrams you can look at too...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cheers Hocks.

Thanks a million. Your a star.
Can I message you again later if I may If I get stuck? ( be a while yet, busy for a few weeks)
Yes message no probs.
Just to confirm you are better taking the forks off the bike to sort, although it could be done with them in place with just the wheel axles out !
If you are nervous or mess up drilling holes in the damper rod (item 9 in diagram) you can buy new replacements from dealers for about £40 each.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all.

Thanks guys.

Hi Dirtybiker,

could you please provide me the link to the YSS fork emulators? I can't find it on there web site.

Thanks a lot
mardar

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dirtybiker,

could you please provide me the link to the YSS fork emulators? I can't find it on there web site.

Thanks a lot
mardar
No good at posting links but I got my YSS PD Fork emulators 36mm from Wemoto.com for £67 plus delivery.

‘Brooke's suspension’ also does them for about a tenner more.
Hope that helps.
Jez

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tec bike parts do the same modification for triumph scrambler and t120.
These have similar showa forks to the urban. This also shows the spacer that allows an increase in fork travel. The utube video has poor sound but gets better later through video:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Have a look at this....

View attachment 125708

This is from the ReaOEM site, link below as there are other diagrams you can look at too...

I restored a '71 Husqvarna 400 Cross a while back and granted, they were ahead of their time.... but the construction of the Urban forks is EXACTLY the same!
Don't mess around get some quality cartridges for them rather than modding 50 year old technology, i can see emulators and correct springs giving an improvement but for all the messing around decent cartridges with seperate rebound and compression adjustment using modern technology would be a better use of your time/effort/money

I know the Nitron cartridges in mine are just brilliant

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wouldn't be dismissive of the RaceTech emulator valves, they have been around for about 20 or so years and are very much a proven mod. If you have some experience in dismantling/assembling old style forks they present as an excellent low price option in making your forks work properly. I had considered them but went with Andreani cartridges, if i was going through the exercise again i would have to consider the RaceTech emulators and perhaps a set of RaceTech springs. All their stuff is top notch and used widely in competition .:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts