BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The UGS can’t be found in the US website anymore, looks like it will be discontinued like the racer.
Not sure if these are good or bad news for us owners?

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
My dealer confirmed the Racer and Urban are done.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like my’18 turban very much. I got a great deal on it, and it’s almost to where I want it. I just need to install a few more bits I have already purchased. It’ll be a long winter so I’ve got time.

·
Super Moderator
3,287 Posts
Clenode
"Clenode is a member of The Fichun Clan, he is currently the 3rd in command of the clan. He uses a Sabre when ever fighting and commands a small platoon of Fichun tribal warriors."

·
Registered
139 Posts
I
The UGS can’t be found in the US website anymore, looks like it will be discontinued like the racer.
Not sure if these are good or bad news for us owners?
love my 18 Urban. Didn't know it would be discontinued but glad I upgraded to it in time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How does a clenode relate to the UGS discontinuance? I looked up what it is but how does it relate? I’m lost.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Weren't the R9T series supposed to be "limited"?
Am guessing that BMW will produce as long as the sales numbers are good and then shut down the line.
Example: the Racers are gorgeous lookers but due to the negative publicity of their riding ergonomics did not sell in great numbers [in fact I saw a 2017 model still sitting on a dealer floor] and now they are off the BMW brochure/web site.
Wondering about the Turban - why are they being discontinued?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Weren't the R9T series supposed to be "limited"?
Am guessing that BMW will produce as long as the sales numbers are good and then shut down the line.
Example: the Racers are gorgeous lookers but due to the negative publicity of their riding ergonomics did not sell in great numbers [in fact I saw a 2017 model still sitting on a dealer floor] and now they are off the BMW brochure/web site.
Wondering about the Turban - why are they being discontinued?
Some great deals to be had on those left over Racers, but the reviews on ergonomics and suspensions have kept me away... I will be going for the classic/standard version next year when I am able to buy mine. I know suspensions mod are still recommended for the classic, but that seems to be the one with everything that I want...

Too bad about the Urban. Nice looking bike, but if they are not selling as expected, I can understand BMW dropping them. Those that have it now own special/limited editions!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Am I the only guy who is happy to hear about this? One of reasons that I like UGS is that it is relatively rare compared with modern 750/850 or 1250GS. It is discontinued but R9T family is still on the market, so we are keeping something which is done but parts are everywhere. Isn't that good? I am a Chinese but live in US for a decade. And UGS is never offered in Chinese market (so does /5). I always tell me friends how luck I am, especially I am a 80GS fan.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’m not unhappy about the UGS discontinuation. I am very happy to have mine. I am putting it away for the NY winter, but it will emerge a Butterfly come spring. I have several bits I will be installing over the winter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
BMW's plan probably was not to keep the UGS and Racer going for more than a couple years (which is a millennium in motorcycle years). Their (UGS and racer's) unique design and basic handling properties probably found as many buyers as possible. Probably mostly enthusiasts who value design just as much as utility.

Think about it. A 500lbs boxer with an obsolete engine that doesn't have particularly great handling for $12-14k. There just aren't that many people looking for buy a wannabe ADV bike or sport bike when they could just get an Africa Twin for the same price or Fireblade or Speed Triple. If they made the UGS any better/ADV-y, they'd be cannibalizing sales from the proper GS and same with the Racer and cannibalizing S1000r sales. Plus the R nine T was really only greenlit because they recycled old parts. Making new parts is expensive, and they just introduced the R1250 and the new S1000r - developing and marketing these bikes is expensive. No point in confusing buyers with a ton of "heritage" variants.

Don't forget, theres also the 50th anniversary trim being offered now too. One more option to confuse a prospective buyer. People are more likely to make a buying decision if they only have one or two options to chose from - which is why there was really only two options (black or white) for the iPod and iPhone for nearly 10 years.

When you have a design that stands out like the Racer and UGS, you're going to get a lot of attention, views and click, but ultimately people are going to overwhelmingly spend their money on the safer designs of the Scrambler/Pure/Classic grey and black. They are less attractive to more people. Whereas the racer/ugs are more attractive to fewer people.

·
Registered
121 Posts
vectorbug said:
When you have a design that stands out like the Racer and UGS, you're going to get a lot of attention, views and click, but ultimately people are going to overwhelmingly spend their money on the safer designs of the Scrambler/Pure/Classic grey and black. They are less attractive to more people. Whereas the racer/ugs are more attractive to fewer people.
This, from my point of view, is a good bit of it. While reviews were positive for the Urban with many reviewers naming it their favorite of the line, it doesn’t fit neatly in a niche by appearance ("is it a dual sport? a roadster? what is it?"). And that appearance, like that of the similarly adorned Racer, is a bit of a statement. Many people say they want their machine to stand out but, when it comes to actually spending money, only so much. There's a reason why most cars these days are silver, gray, black, and plain white.

That isn't to take anything away from the other NineTs, but they are - gold forks aside- less aesthetically assertive (aka obnoxious).

·
Registered
370 Posts
Am I the only guy who is happy to hear about this? One of reasons that I like UGS is that it is relatively rare compared with modern 750/850 or 1250GS. It is discontinued but R9T family is still on the market, so we are keeping something which is done but parts are everywhere. Isn't that good? I am a Chinese but live in US for a decade. And UGS is never offered in Chinese market (so does /5). I always tell me friends how luck I am, especially I am a 80GS fan. View attachment 128062
I love your hood ornament. 👍 what do the Chinese symbols on the windscreen say ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I love your hood ornament. 👍 what do the Chinese symbols on the windscreen say ?
Thanks! it means "iron cavalry". That is the bike group formed by the BMW/DUCATI dealerships in my hometown NanJing. The red elliptical shape on the top left is the map of my hometown. Most BMW bikes sold by that dealer will have this sticker, kinda nostalgia thing for me.

·
Registered
497 Posts
BMW's plan probably was not to keep the UGS and Racer going for more than a couple years (which is a millennium in motorcycle years). Their (UGS and racer's) unique design and basic handling properties probably found as many buyers as possible. Probably mostly enthusiasts who value design just as much as utility.

Think about it. A 500lbs boxer with an obsolete engine that doesn't have particularly great handling for $12-14k. There just aren't that many people looking for buy a wannabe ADV bike or sport bike when they could just get an Africa Twin for the same price or Fireblade or Speed Triple. If they made the UGS any better/ADV-y, they'd be cannibalizing sales from the proper GS and same with the Racer and cannibalizing S1000r sales. Plus the R nine T was really only greenlit because they recycled old parts. Making new parts is expensive, and they just introduced the R1250 and the new S1000r - developing and marketing these bikes is expensive. No point in confusing buyers with a ton of "heritage" variants.

Don't forget, theres also the 50th anniversary trim being offered now too. One more option to confuse a prospective buyer. People are more likely to make a buying decision if they only have one or two options to chose from - which is why there was really only two options (black or white) for the iPod and iPhone for nearly 10 years.

Hmm,
dunno....
Obsolete engine? maybe to the tech heads that value cutting edge tech with no soul.... The cam head is a timeless bullet proof design that has personality to burn, ok it doesn't have HP to burn, but show me a flat twin that does. Even the new 1250 with VCT isn't that impressive compared to other twins the same capacity.

500lb, yeah, they are aren't they, but when it's rolling to doesn't feel like it.

Africa twin, Fire blade, Speed Triple, these are options i suppose, like a celery and hummus dip is a meal option, not very appetising compared to a loaded pizza or a burger.... no soul, useful, capable? undoubtedly, but not much in the way of personality, not much in the way of grin factor that comes from just riding it, sorry, but they're not....

The racer was discontinued because it didn't sell, the egos are pretty extreme and i've already said that if i have to suffer sport bike ergo's i want sport bike power, 110hp doesn't cut it, that said the options/choices are nice, i chose the UGS because i wanted something i could use on dirt roads/fire trails when i wanted to and the satin finish on the scrambler didn't appeal to me, if they weren't an option i probably would have bought a R1200RS over an R nineT classic...

Pretty sure it's discontinued in the US but in Aus it's still a current model, not in white i believe, but it's still available, the /5 is available as order only and i've only seen one in person at the dealer, nice, but if i were after a road bike i'd likely buy the pure and go to town on it if i were limited to the 9T range...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts