BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at my local BMW dealer yesterday to order some parts and got my first look at an Urban GS.

Have to say it's a good looking bike, but not as big as I expected. Not a bad thing though as sitting on it I was still able to flat-foot.

Only thing I think should have been changed as stock would have been a high level exhaust, which would give a nod to the original R80GS. Apart from that it was all good. Even the diving board rear fender didn't look out of place! :eek:mg:

I was tempted to ask for a test ride, but the bike hadn't even had the tyres scrubbed-in... Never been out on a bike with off-road style hoops, so would prefer to wait a couple of weeks to minimise my chances to throwing the bike at the scenery!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Very nice looking bike but it definitely needs a high-level exhaust. I would still give it high marks. :10:

At my age it is probably the only GS that I could put a leg over. :|

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Yes, I remember the funny slim pannier on the left side of the G/S R80 PD I toured the states on - slim because of the high-rise exhaust.

Rusty

·
Registered
183 Posts
Strange they used silver balancing weights.

I originally liked the high mounted exhaust but now I find the bend a bit forced (visually) and I much prefer the natural sweep of the single exhaust. I took it off my list of bits I would change.

The mods (more add-on's) I will do are:
- tachometer
- add a second set of not as pretty seat-tank if I go on a long adventure (brown solo seat with rack, and a second tank painted very low key like the pure). Now everywhere I park I have to see people walking around the bike and taking pictures.

Take it out for a ride! the knobbies will be fine. They are very grippy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Also good point on the rear fender. I noticed the same. The front high mudguard balances the rear end that used to bother me on the other models.

·
Registered
24 Posts
so far seems like a sweet bike. I've only had highway experience so far but feels like my 1110GS. Does vibrate a little in neutral at stop lights. My 1100GS had about 85 hp so this is better. The ergo's are really good if you like the the seat height. The BMW rear tail bag is the bomb. I was really worried about hauling stuff on this bike. I am a commuter and need to get dinner, books on the way home. Plus I need to carry coffee on the way in. I have ordered the BMW engine guards. May get a tank bank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
I see no point to this bike. It is ugly compared to the Lac Rose concept bike.

Huge contradiction going on here...'Urban' bike with extremely aggressive knobby tyres on it...WTF? ... it has 'almond milk latte sipping poser' written all over it. The bike will be a pig to ride with those tyres and budget suspension in 'Urban' areas. Doubt it has off-road ability either with that suspension. So what you end up with is an ugly, non-functional, poor handling bike?

·
Registered
15 Posts
it has 'almond milk latte sipping poser' written all over it.
The 9T in any iteration is an air cooled 17k parts bin special with unacceptable suspension. I love my bike, but it's purchased by most as an image bike. I wouldn't throw too many stones at the Urban GS.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Huge contradiction going on here...'Urban' bike with extremely aggressive knobby tyres on it...WTF? ... it has 'almond milk latte sipping poser' written all over it. The bike will be a pig to ride with those tyres and budget suspension in 'Urban' areas. Doubt it has off-road ability either with that suspension. So what you end up with is an ugly, non-functional, poor handling bike?
No offense to anyone here but I kind of agree. I ended up with the Pure so I'm obviously bias. But it looks like a German boxer with a 70s "go America" red, white, and blue dirt bike thing going on.

I'm not sure how the dirt bike fender and knobby tires are "urban"? Honestly, the whole bike seems to scream look at me like a transgender person trying to find the right bathroom. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Very nice looking bike but it definitely needs a high-level exhaust. I would still give it high marks. :10:

At my age it is probably the only GS that I could put a leg over. :|
George, If I can get my stubby 28 inch inseam to flat foot on one of the 2017 factory lowered 1200GS's, I know you could. Seriously, they almost had me riding a pretty red one home the other day, without me even writing a check. (they know where I live). 21 grand is a lot to spend on a bike though, if you know you can't even begin to use its potential. Sure did have nice balance though, and I was able to mount it with no issues. Of course, it didn't have the panniers on, but i wouldn't need those to pick up the Saturday morning Croissants.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Urban g/s

Wow bit of hissy fit. Aren't all bikes a mixture of looks and practicality.
I doubt many of these will see off road work, but how many r1200gs/gsa do too? How many r nine t Racers are going to raced or used on a track. How many r9t Scramblers are used off road.
It's all personal choice and if it gets more bums out of cars and on motorcycle seats, that's a good thing.
:)

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Wow bit of hissy fit. Aren't all bikes a mixture of looks and practicality.
I doubt many of these will see off road work, but how many r1200gs/gsa do too? How many r nine t Racers are going to raced or used on a track. How many r9t Scramblers are used off road.
It's all personal choice and if it gets more bums out of cars and on motorcycle seats, that's a good thing.
:)
Hardly a 'hissy fit'... The 9T and Racer are exactly what they are meant to be..cafe racers. The Urban GS & Scrambler are not.
As long as you enjoy yours is what matters, but others are entitled to have an opinion.....
Enjoy your Urban GS :dirt-bike:

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All views welcome on this thread, as long as they are on the right side of respectful. So far so good, lets keep it that way.

Personally I still like the classic 9T, but the Urban GS does look good (definitely needs a high level exhaust though).

The name Urban GS tells you all you need to know about where the bike is intended for. This is not a serious off-road tool, and was never designed for that. It's more of an image bike, and if we are all honest about this, even most W/C 1200GS owners will never take the bike off road. They are as much Urban warriors as the folk that will buy the Urban GS. Granted the W/C GS will cope with dirt better than the Urban but that's not really the point here.

I'm sure some Lac Rose tanks will make an appearance sooner or later, so just in the way we mod the rest of the 9T family, this will doubtless become the same for the Urban. I'd definitely want the bigger tank if I was to buy an Urban.

Variety is the spice of life, after all. We should celebrate the differences that the motorcycle market offers. it's good to have a bike out there that caters for everybody's aspirations.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Ugliness or beauty is obviously a personal thing. To me the UGS looks okay, bit colourful but I could live with that. I ride a Pure and would have considered a UGS but for the fact that the seat is rather too high for me.

I see that Turbojet has, very sensibly, got road tyres on his UGS. I'd agree that if someone is never going to ride dirt then knobblies are inferior for street use. But if someone prefers the look of knobblies on the street, despite the poorer handling, then that's their choice, their personal compromise between looks and handling.

And so what if UGS riders are "almond milk latte sipping posers"?

"Almond milk latte sipping posers" are people too. I must try an almond milk latte, sipped of course.

·
Registered
133 Posts
For those old enough to remember it, the Urban is a wonderful homage to the original R80G/S, and as such is dripping with rose tinted nostalgia.
I think it looks great, and you could easily do a Lac Rose rep with some orange vinyl and a single seat.
As to the knobblies, you just have to look at the custom bike trends at the moment to see how big the "scrambler" style thing is.
Check out Delboy's Garage on youtube for a review of the TKC80s he fitted to his Bandit rat bike thing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mine comes on Tuesday and have ordered it with TKC 70 tyres. (Nobbly looking but road bias)
So hopefully good road manners but still 'scrambler' looks. Best of both I hope!

Can I have my almond milk latte, skinny and to go please! ��

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I think all the variants from the classic R9T are compromises in one form or another, sacrificing something to appeal to a specific nostalgia niche.

The scrambler and urban sacrificing on-road performance by adding knobby tires that will never see dirt. The racer sacrificing lower back health for a racing posture on a bike that will never race. The pure sacrificing a little bit of everything for cost.

Luckily, however, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. :eek:ccasion14:
:2cents:

·
Registered
127 Posts
My dealer has just phoned to tell me that my bike will be ready a couple of days early so will be picking it up this saturday.
God I hope I can live it down, riding off on my fugly ditch pig if a motorcycle. Hope none of my R1200GS, riding mates see me;-)
Cannon's at Braintree, Essex. At 0900 if you fancy a laugh!
Will post a couple of pictures of it Saturday, if you guys can look at it's unbearable likeness;-0

1 - 20 of 103 Posts