BMW NineT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
So is the only thing you would have wanted differently to make it perfect is more suspension travel/specs?

No. I think the stock suspension is rubbish, but that can be partially solved in the aftermarket. There's a lot that could be solved through the aftermarket on this bike. Some things can't be solved, unfortunately. I think the primary issue is the ergos, which I've mentioned prior. The big issue there is the very long tank combined with the short peg to seat distance (which is improved, but still pretty cramped). You could improve that to some degree with bar risers and lowered pegs. AFAIK there are no substantial changes made to the frame, geometry, or wheelbase from the Scrambler, making this a bike that prefers the road, but further sacrifices it's roadworthiness with a knobbies and a 19" front wheel. There's also no factory luggage option. The tail section remains unchanged from the other 9Ts, so the diving board is still all that protects you from rear wheel fling. There's been no big solution for that in the aftermarket, but some improvements over stock are available. Basic GS accoutrements are missing that would need to be added after market (hand guards, bash plate, engine guards, oil-cooler guard, etc..). I think it's weird that the high pipe is standard on the Scrambler, but has to be added on the UGS which is supposed to be the more off-road capable of the two. As far as I can tell there was no effort made to shave any weight. There's no tach.

Were I to buy this bike, it'd be another $4000 getting it where I think it should have been from the factory. Like I said, that's just me. If someone slaps a GS logo on a bike and tells me it's a modern throwback, I expect the looks to be vintage inspired, but the rest up to modern adventure touring standards. BMW has been in the big bore dual sport business for longer than anyone. They could have easily spent some time making this a proper GS throwback bike.

Anyway, I'm tapped out on this :) Congrats on your new ride, I hope you enjoy it, make it your own, and have a lot of fun with it. I'm hoping to see people using them on adventures and proving me wrong so I can buy one.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I agree that this bike serves no real purpose and does not do anything well. It is, however, a styling exercise and some people like that style and are willing to buy it. I personally hate how BMW has diluted the range. Perhaps a racer and a scrambler are already one too many. Or, better yet, create one of each but sell only one or two types of models per year.

I think some are a little defensive as it is their new baby and they are attached. It is like telling a newly wed that his wife is ugly and doesn't do anything well--he will fight you.

Give him a few years and tell him the same thing and he may still fight you or he may buy you a beer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good to have a discussion on specific points !! (I appreciate it)

These are my thoughts:

Suspension:
It is not rubbish. And it is different than the Scrambler (Not sure if you tried it). But yes, you can always take your pick from the aftermarket.

Tank length and body distance: "Quote: The big issue there is the very long tank combined with the short peg to seat distance (which is improved, but still pretty cramped)." It works as is for me (much better than the Scrambler). If you want to be closer forward, it is tailored to your body with a straddle seat. (see Lac Rose)

19" wheel: That IMO is the right (proven choice) for a GS bike. You won't find any with 16, 17. And 21 is too much of a compromise for street handling. Any other size wouldn't make sense.

Exahust: I personally prefer its sweep to the scrambler. It is also high enough for any practical use I can think off and it has been mounted behind the frame so it won't make contact if you have to rest the bike on its side.

Wheelbase: It within 3/4" from the R1200GS, Tirumph Explorer 1200 and Ducati Desert Sled. I don't see why this has to be changed.

Tire: They offer Metzeler Tourance Next and TKC80s. Both great. Maybe Metzeler Tourance is a better in between. Ultimately your choice.

Luggage: There are factory options but no hard saddles. I wouldn't want them. Might as well get an R1200GS as your starting point for customization if you want all that.

"Quote: Basic GS accoutrements are missing that would need to be added after market (hand guards, bash plate, engine guards, oil-cooler guard, etc..)".
Handgards, bashplate and engine guards are all offered OEM and configurable when you order the bike. Not an issue. (Additionally, there is a new set of dresser bars for the GS not shown in the catalog).

I like breaking all this down. Makes the discussion more useful.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Yes. Very strange. Apparently there are a lot of people who REALLY love this bike and its capabilities; and also get to add one to the garage. And there are some people who REALLY seem upset about that. LOL.

Roadrunner, it seems like you sold your bike. Which one are you looking at next? (I imagine the non Classic R9Ts with their cheap components are of no interest).
'Capabilities' ???... has none.

I am waiting for BMW to release their "Non-Urban GS" 9T in 2018 with bumble-bee theme, sticky slick tyres, HP4 front/GSA rear and can carry 4 pillions...seems to make sense as it has huge 'capabilities' :sarcasm:

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
RR has a new W/C GS1200ADV I think. He did have a R nineT for quite a while.
Yes, miss that 9T, but sadly marital rules only allow for 1 bike ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
LOL, I squared those rules early on.

Hey, when possible, can you please measure the ground clearance of your GSA with you on it? I read it had been increased but I couldn't find any measurements.

(Thank you).

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
'Capabilities' ???... has none.

I am waiting for BMW to release their "Non-Urban GS" 9T in 2018 with bumble-bee theme, sticky slick tyres, HP4 front/GSA rear and can carry 4 pillions...seems to make sense as it has huge 'capabilities' :sarcasm:
With the optional sidecar hack... :)

How about a camhead GS with a Unit Garage conversion?

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
LOL, I squared those rules early on.

Hey, when possible, can you please measure the ground clearance of your GSA with you on it? I read it had been increased but I couldn't find any measurements.

(Thank you).
As requested. I am sure the Uban GS can do same without smashing its suspension upon decent. Seems it is all about ground clearance :sarcasm:

I think Tom Cruise just bought a Urban GS as a stunt bike.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
With the optional sidecar hack... :)

How about a camhead GS with a Unit Garage conversion?

Nice Kara, but I think it lacks the necessary ground clearance necessary to be classed URBAN...also, tank carries too much fuel and forks are too functional

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Nice. Let me know is you have a chance to measure it. I'd like to know.
At what ESA setting would u like the measurement?

In fact the Urban has so much clearance it doesn't required a bash plate like the the low riding GS's

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Just normal riding setting. It is not related to the UGS; I would just like to know because it is not published.
ok, took a blue pill. will measure in 30 mins

·
Registered
127 Posts
Picked up my Urban yesterday.
Only time for a short ride home but was grining like a Cheshire Cat all the way home.
In my humble opinion the bike handles well though I went for a road bias TKC 70 rather than the TKC 80 tyres.
It certainly handles better than my 2006 GSA that I traded it in for. I love the look of the bike and plan lots of farkles and mods as finances allow. Will keep you updated when they arrive. In the meantime here's some pictures.
Ps My daughters love it ;-)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Only time for a short ride home but was grining like a Cheshire Cat all the way home.
In my humble opinion the bike handles well though I went for a road bias TKC 70 rather than the TKC 80 tyres.
It certainly handles better than my 2006 GSA that I traded it in for. I love the look of the bike and plan lots of farkles and mods as finances allow. Will keep you updated when they arrive. In the meantime here's some pictures.
Enjoy your new toy, but unless your suspension was shot on your 2006 GSA, I really can't see how it would handle better with lower spec suspension and no paralever. I had a 2006 GSA and it would out-perform sportbikes in twisties.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks great Dirtybiker, nice one. I think the new GS will be very popular. A great evocation of the original R80GS.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Enjoy your new toy, but unless your suspension was shot on your 2006 GSA, I really can't see how it would handle better with lower spec suspension and no paralever. I had a 2006 GSA and it would
out-perform sportbikes in twisties.
My suspension was not shot on my GSA.
Think the bike being significantly lighter with a lower centre of gravity helped.
I've ridden all sorts of bikes over the last 25 years of so and I quite happy with the set up and handling. It's never going to keep up with a sport bike etc but it's adequate for my needs. Maybe up grade in the future but not a priority for me.
I'm loving it at the mo!
;-)

61 - 80 of 103 Posts