BMW NineT Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
My suspension was not shot on my GSA.
Think the bike being significantly lighter with a lower centre of gravity helped.
I've ridden all sorts of bikes over the last 25 years of so and I quite happy with the set up and handling. It's never going to keep up with a sport bike etc but it's adequate for my needs. Maybe up grade in the future but not a priority for me.
I'm loving it at the mo!
;-)
cool story

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Picked up my Urban yesterday.
Only time for a short ride home but was grining like a Cheshire Cat all the way home.
In my humble opinion the bike handles well though I went for a road bias TKC 70 rather than the TKC 80 tyres.
It certainly handles better than my 2006 GSA that I traded it in for. I love the look of the bike and plan lots of farkles and mods as finances allow. Will keep you updated when they arrive. In the meantime here's some pictures.
Ps My daughters love it ;-)
Great post and cool pics. I agree with your choice in tyres. While not looking as good as the TCK80 hoops they are more suited to where the vast mjority of owners will use their UGS.

Congrats and look forward to your mods and adventures (in new threads of course... ;) )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congratulations Dirtybiker for your new Urban GS!! It looks great with the TKC70 tires ...

Please, when you have the chance if you can explain something of how the TKC70s handle in the Urban GS. I think it's a very interesting choice ... TKC80's look wonderful, but TKC70's for a more on road riding looks like a well balanced tyre.

I read that in some cases, not many, at high speeds, the front wheel can become a bit nervy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I guess people are just frustrated that Ducati took it further off-road wise this time around. Maybe next time it will be different. Being good sellers keeps R&D focused and funded. Would I have liked state of the art suspension with two inches more of travel? yes. But probably that wouldn't make a material difference on any trip I would take.

It is still the most capable classic boxer (R9T) for mix road trips you can get on a factory configuration today. And very capable in absolute terms.

Though with shorter suspension travel, it is almost the same as the R1200GS' that went around the world just a few years ago (and this bike has more power, it is lighter, has the same ground clearance and better stability control than those bikes). All the way to the same tubeless spoked wheels and tires you get on the latest R1200GS today.

Mesmerized about what people think they need on a bike today (without being limited to the coffee shop as in the comments, lol). But if better suspension and a bigger windshield tickles the fancy (not mine) it is easy enough to add. It is better than all but a couple of all the motorcycles that have gone around the world to date.

The styling is whimsical, hooliganish and nostalgic? yes, and I really like it. Exactly what I was in the mood for with this bike. This is obviously subjective. Why spend any time going to a forum of a specific bike you don't like, just to tell people you don't like the looks and you don't care about them. Strange behavior.

As far as criticizing BMW, the dealer indicated the factory has more orders on the GS than all other R9T models, dealers have maxed out their ordering quota and they don't last at all on the floor. It doesn't seem like a business mistake either.
Well said. I especially ove your point about what people think they "need" in a bike today. Most of my favorite bike adventures were definitely on the "wrong" bike...often it was part of what made it an adventure. The "can I do this?" part of the equation coupled with the most minimalist machine companion. Bikes that are over capable and equipped take a lot of the daring and interesting questions out of the picture. Motorcycles for me have always been a less = more proposition. Weren't all of our early riding experiences about pushing personal and manufactured limits?? That thrill is still available today (thank god) although in ever decreasing opportunities with our tailor made, high tech, safety guaranteed, predictable results meets expectations marketplace.

About 25 years ago a friend rode his Honda Helix scooter from Minneapolis to Sturgis for the bike rally. He had an amazing trip and many of the hardened cross country riders and "bikers" bought him beers and cheered his approach. A good reminder that adventures are cheap thrills at heart. Anyone who's had kids knows that. "Having them" was free after all...;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just came back from a 150mi ride including a short portion (several miles) of trails and rough fire-roads with steep gravel climbs crisscrossed with deep ruts.

I didn't turn the ABS or the ASC off. The bike did awesome! Super planted and grippy. The ASC light blinked only once when I was being a silly hooligan intentionally.

The trail/fire-road was all downhill and ended in a very pretty lake with a wooded walking trail around it. Got to explore on foot in complete solitude.

Then rode back up to the opposite side of the fire-road and then rode another 10 miles to a nice vineyard for lunch.

A few observations:

- The bike did fantastic. Aided by the TKC80s.
- On the trail I spent the majority of the time seated and only stood on the pegs when I couldn't pick a decent line and a rut or a rock had it my way. The suspension did very well (better on bumps than on the small high frequency chatter).
- The screen is ridiculously effective for its size (The engineers got a great one here). There is absolutely zero wind up to 2 feet above the seat on the highway. After that, is is very well dissipated with no buffeting on the shoulders, neck or helmet.
- The rear brake could be 1/2" higher. Or the pegs 1/2" lower (the latter is probably easier since BMW offers OEM adjustable height pegs; and it would also improve the riding position while standing).
- Compared to the Thruxton R, the engine vibrates a lot more the exhaust is louder (though a bit less deep). These two (rough touches if you would) suit the bike perfectly and definitely enhance the GS state of mind IMO.
- MPG was aprox 45 gallons. Better than I expected with the TKC80.
- A few bash plate ding noises made me happy it was there when I accelerated on gravel.
- I love the seat height. I would not want it any higher.
- Engine performance was always more than plenty (at least for me).
- The rear brake is a tad on the weak side but getting better as the pads wear/scuff a bit.
- Steering in the twisties was the most agile I ever had on a 19" wheel bike. Much better than my old Bonneville. Although the turn radius and the heavy tire inertia are definitely/obviously less willing to turn than the 17" Pirelli Diablo Rosso on the Thruxton R. I am not sure the changes from the scrambler (suspension/geometry/position) are to praise or not since I haven't ridden the scrambler this much.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sounds like a nice ride! Those hard to reach places and the roads you need to ride to get close enough to leave the lines behind. A good mix. Purpose delivered.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I borrowed an Urban on the launch weekend from my local dealer, had it from Sat evening through to Mon morning. Took it on a long ride out on the Sunday with some of the lads from the dealership and absolutely loved it. Even with TKC80s the bike handled fantastically, took all the twisties in it's stride and kept up with most no problem. Anyone who thinks TKC80s are rubbish on the road either hasn't ridden with them or hasn't fully understood their capability. I had them on my old 1150 GSA and, whilst they won't last as long as Tourances etc they handle just as well on tarmac...

I took the plunge yesterday, stripped all the goodies off my 9T - back to standard and dropped it off at the dealers. Hoping to collect the Urban next Sat...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I borrowed an Urban on the launch weekend from my local dealer, had it from Sat evening through to Mon morning. Took it on a long ride out on the Sunday with some of the lads from the dealership and absolutely loved it. Even with TKC80s the bike handled fantastically, took all the twisties in it's stride and kept up with most no problem. Anyone who thinks TKC80s are rubbish on the road either hasn't ridden with them or hasn't fully understood their capability. I had them on my old 1150 GSA and, whilst they won't last as long as Tourances etc they handle just as well on tarmac...

I took the plunge yesterday, stripped all the goodies off my 9T - back to standard and dropped it off at the dealers. Hoping to collect the Urban next Sat...
You won't regret it. I absolutely love mine. The exhaust note is addictive;-)
I've stuck a bash plate on, next is the hand guards and headlight grill and when fully run in a complete arrow titanium exhaust system. Then up to Hilltop for a remap. :goodjob::dirt-bike::dirt-bike::dirt-bike:

·
Registered
79 Posts
You won't regret it. I absolutely love mine. The exhaust note is addictive;-)
I've stuck a bash plate on, next is the hand guards and headlight grill and when fully run in a complete arrow titanium exhaust system. Then up to Hilltop for a remap. :goodjob::dirt-bike::dirt-bike::dirt-bike:
Fascinated to see what the results of the remap is when you've done it

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-AL10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
I like the idea and looks of the Urban/GS also but unfortunately in it's current form it is too close to the name.Urban/GS is a oxymoron.If you want to look cool at Starbucks great.But if you want a simpler alternative to the watercooled GS you are [email protected]
BMW needs to offer real suspension preferably from Ohlins as a factory option as the stock parts are more like of 70's style Soviet stuff...Ohlins offers a cartridge kit,shocks and SD for roughly 2 grand.
But you still can't go nowhere without aluminum luggage as also you need a centerstand to park the bike upright,load/unload and work on it or even change a tire while on the road.
If these options I would love to buy a Urban/GS and ride it down in Baja to Cabo San Lucas Mexico !
So far the GS is unfortunately too Urban for me...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd say take one for a ride over the terrain you plan to use it before making up your mind. And if you decide to install the ohlin kit, you'd only be paying a few hundred more than you would as a factory option. See how it fairs on the road and dirt. I think they did great considering you are only buying/paying for classic suspension.

I bet it might surprise you positively and give you enough confidence to make it pass the Starbucks.

In real life, its skinny seat will likely be your bottleneck for long adventures before the suspension.

If not, either BMW or Triumph are likely to come up with a model with a high end suspension kit in a year or two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Picked up my Urban yesterday.
Only time for a short ride home but was grining like a Cheshire Cat all the way home.
In my humble opinion the bike handles well though I went for a road bias TKC 70 rather than the TKC 80 tyres.
It certainly handles better than my 2006 GSA that I traded it in for. I love the look of the bike and plan lots of farkles and mods as finances allow. Will keep you updated when they arrive. In the meantime here's some pictures.
Ps My daughters love it ;-)
I test rode one on launch day at my local dealer. As an R9T Sport owner, I think I'm in a good position to tell you about the similarities/differences between them.
Obviously the engine is similar, although the 0 miles demonstrator could do with a few more miles to free up the ponies!
Riding position is a bit more upright, with a higher, wider reach that I found more comfortable, as was the knee bend to the pegs and increased ground clearance. Less cramped than the Sport.
I had the TKC80's on the demo bike, so steering was "interesting" until I got used to it. Much more stable/more effort to turn/less grippy feeling, but it was on unscrubbed tyres!
Dashboard was a disappointment, as I couldn't read the small print easily (can't wear reading glasses while riding!).
Suspension was more comfortable than the Sport, longer travel too but perfect for the awful roads around Northamptonshire.
The exhaust sounded different to my twin Akras but still rorty nonetheless.
All in all, I'd be happy to buy one, if it weren't for the fact I already have a sport! Would have the TKC70's on spoked wheels if I did, and might be tempted to rob my twin clocks off the Sport to swap over, too.
I already have the tank bag and tail pack as my luggage, but would have to paint them white to match the tank too....

81 - 100 of 103 Posts